- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Foot & Ankle
- Video and telephone consultations
Ms Julie Kohls is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon who specialises in Foot and Ankle Surgery who has worked at the Royal Surrey County Hospital since July 2007. Julie has seen private patients since 2010 and has set up a website www.footforwardclinic.co.uk to help patients plan and prepare for surgery.
Julie sees all manner of Foot and Ankle problems from the minor to the very complex. Many Foot & Ankle conditions need a specialist assessment to guide the physiotherapy and other treatments such as orthotic treatment but will not require surgery. However when surgery is required Julie uses the latest recognized surgical techniques to treat patients including keyhole and MICA surgery.
Having left Canada in 1999 to continue training in Orthopaedics in the United Kingdom, in 2007 Julie became a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS (Tr & Orth). Julie trained in the subspecialty of Foot and Ankle Surgery with a year at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore and a second year as the Surrey Foot and Ankle Fellow working at both the Royal Surrey County Hospital and also Frimley Park Hospital.
Julie is invited to lecture and teach at National Foot Surgery Courses and Ankle Arthroscopy Courses and has presented and published Foot and Ankle research nationally.
Areas of interest
Ankle Sporting Injuries; Ligament Ruptures; Ankle Keyhole surgery; Tibialis posterior tendinopathy; Heel Pain; Ankle Arthritis; Hallux Valgus; Hallux Rigidius; Claw Toes; Achilles Rupture; Mortan's Neuroma, Gastrocnemius Release/Tightness
- Kate Acton
- B M I Mount Alvernia Hospital Bmi Mount Alvernia Hospital 46 Harvey Road Guildford GU1 3LX
- 01483 938754
- 01483 555918
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Thomas Wojcikiewicz Fee Assured
- Dr Claire Edkins Not Fee Assured
- Dr Bhavesh Patel Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Julie Kohls is a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in Guildford Surrey.
Julie specialises in Foot and Ankle surgery and she is an Orthopaedic lead for foot problems in patients with diabetes.
Julie has a Masters Degree in Surgical Education (M. Ed) from the University of Toronto, Canada. Julie is the Foundation Year 1 Program Director for junior doctors at the RSCH.
Julie has researched tibialis posterior tendon dysfunction at Stanmore with several studies and Julie is continuing to research Congenital Pes Planus at the Royal Surrey.
Julie has participated in several presentations and published studies on the success of posterior medial gastrocs release in related to foot and ankle conditions.
Julie enjoys pilates, gardening, dog walking and cooking.
Julie was runner up for the Kent, Surrey and Sussex Leadership Summit and Award 2015 for the Award of Coach and Mentor of the year for the work she does to support junior doctor education.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern - Conversational
1. Gurdezi S, Kohls-Gatzoulis J, Solan MC
Results of proximal medial gastrocnemius release for Achilles tendinopathy
Foot and Ankle International 2013; 24-10: 1364-9
2. Abbassian A, Kohls-Gatzoulis J and Solan MC
Proximal medial release of the gastrocnemius in the treatment of recalcitrant plantar fasciitis
Foot and Ankle International 2012; 33-1: 14-19
3. Solan MC, Kohls-Gatzoulis J and Stephens MM
Idiopathic toe walking and contractures of the triceps surae
Foot and Ankle Clinics of North America 2010; 15-2: 297-307
4. Gossage W, Kohls-Gatzoulis J and Solan MC
Endoscopic repair of chronic achilles tendon rupture with FHL augmentation
Foot and Ankle International 2010; 31-4: 343-347
5. Kohls-Gatzoulis J, Woods B, Angel JC and Singh, D
The prevalence of tibialis posterior dysfunction in women over 40 in England
Foot and Ankle Surgery 2009; 15-2: 75-81
Courses offered to GPs
Forefoot Pain - Not always a Mortan's Neuroma
Heel Pain - the latest treatment options
The Management of the Ankle Sprain that won't improve
Julie has had no re-admissions for Foot and Ankle Surgery over the past year.
- Bachelor of Chemistry University of Western Ontario 1992
- FRCS (tr and orth) Royal College of Surgeons 2007
- Doctor of Medicine University of Western Ontario 1996
- Master of Education University of Toronto 1999
- Fellowship Foot and Ankle Surgery Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital StanmoreFellowship Foot and Ankle Surgery 1999
- Surrey Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship Royal Surrey County Hospital and Frimley Park Hospital 2007
Reference number 5201452
Details of entry to specialist register
- Consultant Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
British Foot and Ankle Surgery Society (BOFAS)• British Orthopaedic Association
- BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital, GU1 3LX
- 12:00 - 18:00
- 01483 938754
- Harvey Road GUILDFORD GU1 3LX
- 08:00 - 12:30
- 01483 938754
- Stirling RoadSurrey Research ParkGUILDFORDGU2 7RF
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 01483 938754
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital
46 Harvey Road
Guildford GU1 3LX