- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Upper GI surgery
- Video and telephone consultations
Mr Alhamdani is Consultant Laparoscopic Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon at The Whittington Hospital, London UK, where he provides medical and surgical care to NHS patients.
Mr Alhamdani is a specialist upper GI surgeon and bariatric surgeon. He provides endoscopic, laparoscopic and open surgery for digestive disorders such as gallstone disease performing laparoscopic cholecystecomy with more than 2000 operation with high margin of safety.
Bariatric surgery is performed to help people who are obese or morbidly obese to lose body weight. Mr Alhamdani is experienced in all types of weight loss surgery, including fitting gastric bands, insertion of gastric balloons, gastric sleeve surgery and gastric bypass surgery.
Upper GI expertise: gallstones
Mr Alhamdani manages patients who need gallbladder surgery that is either planned (elective surgery) or required as an emergency. Surgery at either The Wellington Hospital/ The London Clinic / BMI The Clementine Churchill Hospital. You are normally in hospital for less than 24 hours. A longer stay is possible for patients, if required, on medical grounds.
You might need your gallbladder removed because of:
•Biliary colic: pain due to gallstones.
•Cholecystitis: infection of the gallbladder: including empyema (an abscess) or perforation.
•Biliary dyskinesia: a gallbladder that works or contracts irregularly, causing frequent attacks of pain despite having no gallstones
Bariatric surgery expertise
Mr Alhamdani arranges a detailed consultation with obese patients who wish to lose a substantial amount of body weight. Through discussion of your overall health and preferences, he can then recommend and offer the most suitable surgery. Procedures available include:
•Fitting a gastric balloon
•Fitting a gastric band
•Gastric sleeve surgery
•Gastric bypass surgery
.Mini gastric bypass
.Revisional obesity surgery.
Areas of interest
Bariatric Surgery: Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass; Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy; Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Band Insertion; Laparoscopic Mini Gastric Bypass;
Laparoscopic Revisional Obesity Surgery
Endoscopic Balloon Insertion; Upper GI surgery: Gallbladder Surgery (Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy);
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Amandeep Gupta Fee Assured
- Dr Maan Hasan Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Laparoscopic Upper GI and Bariatric Surgeon
MD degree in the effect of bile and acid on Barrett’s Oesophagus
Bariatric interest in the effect of bariatric surgery on patients’ co-morbidities
Teaching general and bariatric surgery oversees (Middle East and Iraq)
Planning to establish the first national bariatric unit Iraq
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
More than 300 publication in peer reviewed journals in his specialty of interest
Courses offered to GPs
1. Can obesity surgery cure diabetes.
2. What are the risk and types of obesity surgery.
3. Why do we do mini gastric bypass.
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2010
- MD University of Wales Swansea 2006
- MB ChB University of Baghdad College of Medicine 1996
- Fellowship in Bariatric Surgery Sunderland Royal Hospital, UK 2011
Reference number 5200855
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist register as a General Surgeon, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
1. Memeber of British Obesity & Metabolic Surgery Society (BOMSS) since 2011
2. Member of International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders (IFSO) since 2011
3. Member of Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon of Great Britain and Ireland (AUGIS) since 2008
- BMI The Clementine Churchill Hospital
- 15:00 - 17:00
- 07376 394705
- Bupa Cromwell Hospital
- 09:00 - 11:00
- 07376 394705
- The London Clinic
- 11:00 - 13:00
- 07376 394705
- Wellington Hospital, NW8 9LE
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 07376 394705
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mr Ali Alhamdani
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: doctorali2000