- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Metabolic medicine
Professor Sharma was trained in diabetes and endocrinology at the Mersey Deanery, Liverpool before taking up a consultant post at the Royal Liverpool University Hospital in 2009.
His clinical interests include managing all area of complex diabetes and endocrine medical disorders. He runs joint diabetes kidney disease clinic, joint pituitary clinic along with diabetes and endocrinology clinics including thyroid, adrenal, parathyroid, and reproductive disorders.
He is very much interested in clinical education and research. He is RCP College Tutor for Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Trainee Teaching lead for diabetes and endocrinology trainees at Mersey Deanery, Lead for diabetes education at Royal Liverpool Academy.
He is also a founder director of Medexcell Education which runs regular courses on Leadership Skill, Teaching Skills and Critical Appraisal of medical literature promoting Evidence Based Medicine.
Areas of interest
Endocrinology: Pituitary disease ( Acromegaly, Cushing’s disease, Prolactin problems, Diabetes Insipidus, Growth Hormone replacement)
Thyroid Disorders, Adrenal Disorders, Parathyroid (calcium) disorder, osteoporosis, Addison’s disease
Reproductive endocrinology (Endocrine causes of infertility), Hypogonadism (Testosterone Replacement Therapy), Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Hormone Replacement Therapy.
Endocrine causes of Fatigue and Tiredness,
Diabetes: Management of complex diabetes and complications, Diabetes Kidney disease, Erratic blood sugar management, Diabetes education and self management
Current NHS consultant posts held
Professor Dushyant Sharma MBBS, MD (India), FRCP(UK)
Consultant Physician in Endocrinology and Diabetes at Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Liverpool
Visiting Professor at Hope University Liverpool
Lead for Diabetes Education at Royal Liverpool Academy
Specialist Trainee Teaching Lead for Diabetes and Endocrinology at Mersey
RCP College Tutor at Royal Liverpool University Hospital
Co-founder of Medexcell Edcuation
Clinical trial for upcoming therapies in Diabetes and Endocrinology
English, Hindi, Pinjabi, Urdu
1. Abubakari AR, Cousins R, Thomas C, Sharma D, Naderali EK. Sociodemographic and Clinical Predictors of Self-Management among People with Poorly Controlled Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes: The Role of Illness Perceptions and Self-Efficacy. Journal of Diabetes Research, Article ID 968621, in press.
2. Ahmad A, Weston P J, Ahmad M, Sharma D, Purewal T. A cost-benefit analysis of twice-daily consultant ward rounds and clinical input on investigation and pharmacy costs in a major teaching hospital in the UK. BMJ Open 2015;5:e007367.doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2014- 007367
3. Ahmad A, Purewal TS, Sharma D, Weston PJ. The impact of twice-daily consultant ward rounds on the length of stay in two general medical wards. Clinical Medicine 2011, Vol 11, No 6: 524–8.
4. Sharma D, Morrison G, Joseph F, Purewal TS, Weston PJ. The role of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in patients with diabetic gastroparesis. Diabetologia 2011; 54(11):2768-70.
5. Rowlands, R., Benbow, S., Sharma, D. and Gill, G. ‘Microwave foot’: a new hazard for the diabetic neuropathic foot. Practical Diabetes International, 2010; 27(5): 204.
6. Srinivas-Shankar U, Sharma D. Testosterone treatment in elderly men-a review article. Advances in Therapy 2009; 26(1): 25-39.
7. Sharma D, Mukarjee R, Moore P, Cuthbertson D. Addison’s disease and idiopathic intracranial hypertension occurring simultaneously in a young lady. A case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2010; 4:60.
8. Sharma D, Hardy K, O’Brien S. Copying letters to patients- what patients think? –a questionnaire survey. Clinician in Management 2007; 15(2):75-78.
9. Nijhawan S, Agarwal V, Sharma D, Rai RR. Evaluation of garlic oil as a contact dissolution agent for gallstones: comparison with Mono-octanoin. Trop Gastroenterol 2000; 21(4):177-9.
10. Khurana M, Sharma D, Khandelwal PD. Lipid profiles in smokers and tobacco chewers- a comparative study. J Assoc Physicians India 2000; 48(9):895-7.
Courses offered to GPs
Management of Complex Diabetes
Management of common Endocrinology Disorders
- MBBS SMS Medical College Jaipur , India 1994
- MD Medicine SMS Medical College Jaipur , India 1997
- MRCP UK Royal College of Physician UK 2003
- CCST Diabetes and Endocrinology, GIM JRCPTB 2009
- PD Diploma Clinical Education EdgeHill University 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of Royal College of Physicians (UK)
Society for Endocrinology (UK)
Association of British Clinical Diabetologists
- Spire Liverpool Hospital, L18 1HQ
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 0151 522 1888
- Spire Liverpool Hospital, L18 1HQ
- 10:30 - 14:00
- 0151 522 1888
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr Dushyant Sharma