- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
I specialise in surgery of the hip and knee. I treat conditions that cause hip and knee pain ranging from acute sporting or traumatic injuries that has resulted in ligament or cartilage damage through the early aches and pains of arthritis until the need for joint replacement.
This includes complex hip and knee keyhole surgery. Treating hip impingement conditions (FAI), knee ligament reconstruction (ACL); meniscal cartilage repair or removal; and cartilage defect surgery or preservation in both the hip and knee. These are mostly done as day case procedures.
I perform joint replacements with tried and tested implants. The choice of surgery and implants I use include partial joint replacement and bone preservation implants when suitable but most importantly choosing the right operation for each patient.
My previous experience has given me extensive exposure to joint replacement of the hip and knee, complex orthopaedic trauma, hip and knee keyhole surgery.
I spent 12 months in 2011, on fellowship in the University of Toronto in one of their prestigious fellowship programmes specialising in hip and knee replacement and soft tissue knee surgery.
Areas of interest
Hip Replacement; knee replacement; partial knee replacement; Hip Arthroscopy; Knee arthroscopy; ACL reconstruction; hip and knee sports injuries
- Helen O'Connell
- St David's House Sancta Maria Hospital Ffynone Road Uplands SWANSEA SA1 6DF
- 01792 479040
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Esther Flavell Fee Assured
- Wales Hip and Knee
- Sancta Maria Hospital
- Morriston Hospital, Swansea University health board
- Nuffield Hospital Cardiff and The Vale
Current NHS consultant posts held
I was appointed to my current NHS post, as a Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgeon, in 2012 at Morriston Hospital, Swansea University Health Board. I am on the Orthopaedic trauma team as well as sub-specialising in elective Hip and Knee surgery that mirrors my private work.
I have research interests, encompassing all of my areas of sub-specialty, through affiliations through the University in national and international studies and have many peer reviewed publications related to my current practice.
Sailing, Skiing, golf and rugby.
I live with my family sandwiched between the beautiful Gower peninsula and Swansea City (Dylan Thomas' ugly, lovely town). We moved from London, my home town, to South Wales, my wife's home town, in 2013 for a better quality of life and have never looked back.
The Donald MacCleod Medal - Faculty of Sport & Exercise Medicine - 2005
Best of the best - Knee reconstruction - American Academy Orthopaedic Surgeons - San Francisco 2012 - Can a patello-femoral arthroplasty be a pre-total knee arthroplasty?
The Raine Prize - SW Thames SpR Training rotation 2008 - The pivot shift test is unreliable in the ACL deficient arthritic knee.
1. Patello Femoral instability: Anatomy, classification, aetiology and review of treatment options. Pastides PS, Dodd M, Gupte CM. Annals of Orthop Rheumatol. 2(4): 1035
2. Ten year results of the collum femoris preserving total hip replacement: a prospective cohort study of seventy five patients. Hutt J, Harb Z, Gill I, Kashif F, Miller J, Dodd M. Int Orthop. 2014 May;38(5):917-22
3. Trunionosis: A pain in the neck. P. Pastides, M. Dodd, K. M. Sarraf, C. A. Willis-Owen. World J Orthop. 2013 Oct 18;4(4):161-6.
4. Outcomes of total knee replacement after patellofemoral arthroplasty.J. Hutt, M. Dodd, H. Bourke, J. Bell. J Knee Surg. 2013 Aug;26(4):219-23.
5. The Durom Acetabular Component: A concise follow-up of early revision rates at a minimum of 2 years. Hutt J, Dodd M, Briffa N, Bourke H, Hazlerigg A, Ward D. Hip Int. 2012 Sep-Oct; 5:
6. The pivot shift test is of little clinical relevance in the arthritic ACL deficient knee. Dodd M, Trompeter A, Harrison T, Palmer S. J Knee Surg. 2010 Sep; 23(3):131-5
7. Outcomes of revision total hip arthroplasty for infection after grading according to a standard protocol. S. Oussedik, M. Dodd, F. Haddad. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2010 Sep; 92(9):1222-6
8. Augmentation of bone growth onto the acetabular cup surface using bone marrow stromal cells in total hip replacement surgery. Kalia P, Coathup MJ, Oussedik S, Konan S, Dodd M, Haddad FS, Blunn GW. Tissue Eng. Part A – Dec 2009 15(12): 3689-96
9. European validation of the Vancouver classification of peri-prosthetic proximal femoral fractures. F. Rayan, M. Dodd, F. S. Haddad. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008 Dec; 90(12): 1576-9
10. Widening the gap. A difficulty encountered with retrograde intramedullary nail fixation of distal peri-prosthetic femoral fractures. Dodd M, Uka-lois J, Naique S and Bradnock B. Injury extra; 37 (8): 302-306
- FRCS Royal Colloege of Surgeons of Edindurgh 2010
- Soft tissue knee and lower limb reconstruction Fellowship University of Toronto 2012
Reference number 6029974
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma and Orthopaedic surgery, 2012
Affiliations / memberships
FRCS (Tr & Orth)
- Nuffield Health Vale Hospital, CF72 8JX
- 17:30 - 19:30
- 029 2083 6700
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Miss Helen O'Connell