- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Family Therapy
- Mindfulness based CBT
- Solution Focused Brief Therapy
- Trauma focused CBT
I have been engaged in the field of psychology for over 20 years and I have been practising clinically since 2001, first as a trainee and then fully qualified since 2004. Apart from my clinical practice I am also the director of the professional and doctoral training in counselling psychology at a London university. Thus, I am engaged in the teaching of counselling psychology and therapy and I teach CBT and other approaches at professional and doctoral level. I moreover supervise the work of other professionals and consult their clinical and research work. Since qualifying I have been constantly improving myself and have been training to advance my skills and keep myself up to date with the evidence base of good practice.
In the consultation room I bring my wide range of skills, knowledge and expertise, but it also bring the opportunity for a deep human connection, which clients find very meaningful and rewarding and enables a positive therapeutic relationship to form. I am trained in various therapeutic modalities which allows me to structure and adapt the work depending on what the client needs, without being confined by the limits of only one particular therapeutic approach and school of thought. I believe that every person has the ability to grown and develop and I thus try to help people to see what their strengths are amidst their difficulties. I practice short- term and long- term and it is common that I get new clients though word of mouth, indicating that clients ending therapy with me feel that they have achieved what they hoped to achieve and recommend me to others because of the quality of the work and relationship I can provide.
Areas of interest
Confidence issue; Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder; stress; depression; anxiety; phobias; obsessive - compulsive disorder; addictions; bereavement; post-natal depression; eating disorders; gender and sexuality; cross-cultural issue; family dynamics; couples work; loss and relationship breakdown; children and adolescents; social adjustment issues.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
- Gynaecological disorders
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Pain management
- Psychophysiological disorders
- Physical disability
- Brain damage
- Video and telephone consultations
- Professional practice : http://www.londonpsychologists.com
Eating disorders relapse preventions; suicidal ideation; masculinity after childhood sexual abuse; Therapy for British Ethnic Minorities; Therapy Access and religion; Positive Psychology in a therapeutic context; EMDR Therapy for car accident victims; Therapy protocols in IAPT services; Minimising the stigma of Post- natal depression; CBT for bulimia nervosa; Acceptance and commitment therapy for depression and anxiety; HIV diagnosis and motherhood; CBT for people with brain damage.
Strength- focused therapy; adversity activated development; human migration; social anthropology; paleoanthropology; evolutionary theory and religion; geography; geology; pedagogy and childhood development; international politics; difference and diversity in clinical work.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Greek, Modern - Native or bilingual
Contexts Journal, European Journal of Psychotraumatology, Counselling Psychology Quarterly, Applied Psychology (Counselling)
Courses offered to GPs
Working with asylum seekers and refugees; working with interpreters; EMDR Therapy for trauma, phobias and anxiety; positive psychology in a therapeutic context, Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy, working therapeutically with children and adolescents; CBT for anxiety disorders and psycho-education, Acceptance and Commitment therapy.
EMDR therapy for traumatic stress disorder 90% reduction in symptoms; EMDR therapy for phobias 90% reduction in symptoms; CBT for anxiety 80% symptom reduction; CBT and ACT for depression 80% symptom reduction; Integrative couples therapy 100% success rate ( couples reformulating their relationship and continuing to be together happily); art therapy and play therapy with children and adolescents 90% increase in co-operation, increase in social skills and confidence. I often get clients who have come through word of mouth, indicating that many clients have a ver positive experience of our work. I recently worked with a lady who suffers from diabetes and needs frequent blood tests. Because of needle phobia she had not had a test for many years, endangering her health. After 5 sessions of EMDR she had a blood test where she reported 85% reduction in her anxiety. Moreover, when working with car accident victims, all of them have a significant decrease in any symptoms and can lead normal lives. Also I have successfully treated a young girl with anorexia nervosa, leading to 100% symptom reduction.
- BSc Psychology University of Sussex 1998
- MSc Health Psychology City University, London 1999
- Post - Graduate Certificate in Counselling Psychology City University, London 2000
- MSc Counselling Psychology City University, London 2003
- Post-MSc Diploma in Counselling Psychology City University, London 2004
- MA in Refugee Studies University of Essex 2005
- PhD in Refugee Care University of Essex 2010
- Post - Graduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education London Metropolitan University 2014
- EMDR Therapy/ EMDR Therapist qualification EMDR Richman 2010
- Certificate in Art Therapy Institute for the Arts in Teaching and Education 2006
- Certificate in Systemic Family Therapy The Institute of Family Therapy 2006
- Certificate in EMDR with Military Veterans EMDRIA East Anglia Association 2018
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chartered Counselling Psychologist AFBPsS British Psychological Society 2004
- Psychotherapist and Clinical Supervisor British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy 2005
- Practitioner Psychologist Health and Care Professionals Council 2009
- EMDR Therapist EMDR UK and Ireland Association 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- EMDR Therapist of the European EMDR Association, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
Royal Society of Medicine: Senior Associate
International Positive Psychology Association: Senior Clinician
- The London Art Therapy Centre, Pioneer House,...
- 16:00 - 21:00
- 07811 193629
- The London Art Therapy Centre, Pioneer House,...
- 15:30 - 20:30
- 07811 193629
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr Angela Ioanna Loulopoulou
078 111 93629
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: A.Loulopoulou