- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
I am an experienced Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon specializing in Medical Retina and Cataract Surgery. I have expertise in managing conditions such as age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vein occlusions, uveitis and other medical retinal diseases. I am a friendly and meticulous cataract surgeon and have up-to-date audits confirming excellent clinical outcomes.
I also perform retinal laser and intravitreal injection treatments and use the most up-to-date technologies for the conditions I manage.
I am adept at General Ophthalmology problems such as dry eyes, blepharitis and chalazion lid cysts, and can provide counsel and advice about treatment or onward referral if a problem requires it.
I trained in London at St Thomas' Hospital, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and Moorfields Eye Hospital and have completed fellowships in medical retina and uveitis. Previously I was the Clinical Lead of the Peterborough & Cambridgeshire Diabetic Eye Screening Service which delivered retinal screening to over approximately 30,000 patients. I have also been a Royal College of Ophthalmologists Specialty Tutor. Recently I was a Principal Investigator in collaborative UK-wide research studies investigating treatments for age-related macular degeneration and diabetic macular oedema.
My clinical and surgical practice aims to deliver good clinical outcomes using the most modern and evidence-based treatments. I am interested in the impact of disease on the individual and my approach is driven by a desire to bring the best clinical evidence to bear in every individual circumstance.
Areas of interest
Cataract Surgery; Age Related Macular Degeneration; Diabetic Retinopathy; Retinal Laser treatments; Retinal vein occlusion; Retinal Vascular occlusion; Macular oedema; Uveitis; Medical Retinal Diseases; Dry Eye; Blepharitis; Lid cysts; General Ophthalmology
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London
Clinical research in age related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy.
Nature conservation and gardening. Keeping fit using crossfit techniques. Black Belts in Tae-Kwon Do and the Japanese sword art of Iaido.
Hla Myint Prize in Ophthalmology (undergraduate)
1. Diabetic macular oedema and diode subthreshold micropulse laser (DIAMONDS): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Lois N et al.Trials 20(1). December 2019
2. British HIV Association and British Infection Association guidelines for the treatment of opportunistic infection in HIV-seropositive individuals 2011. Section 5 - Ocular Infections. Mitchell SM, Shiew MMF, M Nelson. HIV Medicine (2011), 12 (Suppl. 2), 55-60
3. Guidelines for the management of CMV retinitis – published on the Chelsea and Westminster intranet website for Genito-urinary Medicine. Shiew M, Mitchell S, Azwa A. 2007
4. A Randomised prospective study comparing Trabeculectomy with Viscocanalostomy with adjunctive anti-metabolite usage for the management of open angle glaucoma uncontrolled by medical therapy. O’Brart DPS, Shiew MMF, Edmonds E. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2004, 88:1012-17
5. Communication between hospital and general practitioners after day case surgery: a patient safety issue. Gui GP, Cheruvu CV, Subak-Sharpe I, Shiew M, Bidlake L, Fiennes AG. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. 1999, 81(1 Suppl): 8-9,12
Courses offered to GPs
Updates on treatments for diabetic retinopathy and retinal vein occlusions.
Cataract surgery audit result for 2017-2018.
Post- operative infection : 0%
Occurrence of posterior capsule rupture complication (a benchmark accepted as a measure of quality): My result is 0.75% (which is better than the UK national average of 1.92% and indicates that my surgery is safe). Although ‘posterior capsule rupture’ sounds worrying, in those patients where it does happen action is taken to put things right before the cataract surgery is completed.
- FRCSEd (Ophthalmology) The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2009
- MBBSLond University of London 1995
Reference number 4201410
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Royal College Specialty Tutor Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC, Ophthalmology, 2011
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Royal Society of Medicine
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Madolyn Palmer 0203 4323009