- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Vathanan is an experienced Gynaecologist with more than 17 years of experience in Obstetrics and Gynaecology. After completed his initial and postgraduate training in Sri Lanka, he moved to UK in 2004 and completed his specialty training in London Deanery. He is currently working as a Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Frimley Health NHS, Heatherwood and Wexham Park Hospitals, Slough where he is the Lead consultant for Early pregnancy services.
In addition to his general Obstetrics and Gynaecology training, Mr Vathanan has undergone advanced training in minimal access surgery, endometriosis, early pregnancy and emergency gynaecology at Imperial College Healthcare and Chelsea and Westminster Hospitals, London. He has completed a post graduate diploma in Gynaecology and early pregnancy ultrasound scanning at King’s College London. He underwent advanced training in laparoscopic surgery and endometriosis at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and its Endometriosis centre. He has published articles in peer reviewed journals and presented in national and international conferences.
Mr Vathanan believes in holistic approach in patient care and his priority is patient involvement in decision making. His aim is to provide highest possible quality of care to his patients by easily available for advice and practice evidence based care.He offers evidence based advanced care in the management of Early pregnancy, emergency gynaecology complications (including miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy), management of recurrent miscarriages, transvaginal ultrasound scanning for gynaecology and early pregnancy (including 3D scanning), advanced laparoscopic surgery including laparoscopic hysterectomy, management of ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cysts, endometriosis, fibroid removal, chronic pelvic pain and hysteroscopic surgeries including hysteroscopic removal of fibroids.
He is married with 2 children and likes travelling and charity work.
Areas of interest
Early pregnancy complications (including miscarriage, recurrent Miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy) and ultrasound scanning; Avanced Laparoscopy (key hole) surgery; Hysteroscopic surgery; Reproductive surgery; Endometriosis; Chronic pelvic pain; Menstrual disorders; Uterine Fibroids.
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Ramesh B Ramasundaram Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, Frimley Health NHS, Heatherwood and Wexham Park Hospitals, Slough
Early pregnancy and emergency Gynaecology
Transvaginal ultrasound scanning
Minimal access surgery
1. A Comparative Observational Study of the Use of Saline Uterine Hydrosonography for the Diagnosis and Assessment of Uterine Cavity Lesions in Women.
Veluppillai Vathanan, Nii Adjeidu Armar.
International Journal of Reproductive Medicine 2016, Article ID 9317194, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/931719
2. Defining safe criteria to diagnose miscarriage: prospective observational multicentre study
J Preisler, J Kopeika, L Ismail, V Vathanan, J Farren, Y Abdallah, P Battacharjee, C Van Holsbeke, C Bottomley, D Gould, S Johnson, C Stalder, B Van Calster, J Hamilton, D Timmerman, T Bourne. BMJ 2015;351:h4579 doi: 10.1136/bmj.h4579
3. Obstetric anal sphincter injury risk reduction: a retrospective observational analysis
Veluppillai Vathanan, Oliparambil Ashokkumar, Trixie McAree
J. Perinat. Med. 2014
4. External validation of models and simple scoring systems to predict miscarriage in intrauterine pregnancies of uncertain viability
S. Guha; V. Van Belle; C. Bottomley; J. Preisler; V. Vathanan; A. Sayasneh; C. Stalder; D. Timmerman; T. Bourne
Hum. Reprod. 2013
5. The urine protein heat coagulation test - a useful screening test for proteinuria in pregnancy in developing countries: a method validation study
Vagira H.W. Dissanayake, Linda Morgan, Fiona Broughton Pipkin, Veluppillai Vathanan, Samanthy Premaratne, Rohan W.Jayasekera, Harshalal R.Seneviratne.
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. 2004
6. Maternal and Fetal Outcome of Macrosomia
V.Vathanan, B.Sharma, C.Sandhu.
Fetal and Neonatal an edition of Archives of Disease in Childhood. June 2010
7. A study of factors affecting the outcome of hydrothermal endometrial ablation
Vathanan V, Laut A.
BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- MRCOG Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2006
- DFSRH Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Heathcare 2009
- Postgraduate Diploma in Gynaecology and Early pregnancy Ultrasound Scanning King's College, London 2012
- Postgraduate Diploma in Health Research University of Leeds 2011
- Advanced skills training in Laparoscopic surgery RCOG 2010
- Advanced skills training in Early pregnancy and Acute Gynaecology RCOG 2011
Reference number 5190970
Affiliations / memberships
Member of Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (MRCOG)
Diplomate of the faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health Care (DFSRH)
Member of British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy (BSGE)
Member of International society for ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (ISUOG)
- BMI The Princess Margaret Hospital, SL4 3SJ
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01753 743405
- Spire Thames Valley Hospital, SL3 6NH
- 09:30 - 11:30
- 01753 665404
- The Bridge Clinic, SL6 8DG
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 01628 760900
- The Bridge Clinic, SL6 8DG
- 11:30 - 13:00
- 01628 760900
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details