- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Family Therapy
- Video & Telephone remote therapy sessions
- Family Therapy
I have 20 plus years of experience of working as a Clinical Psychologist and currently work both within the NHS and have a small Private Practice. I am a registered Chartered Psychologist (BPS) and Counselling Psychologist (BPS) and registered with the HCPC.
I am a Psychotherapist:
- trained and Professionally registered as a Couple and Family Psychotherapist (UKCP) and an accredited Systemic Supervisor.
- Cognitive Behavioral Psychotherapist (BABCP).
I work with Individuals, Couples and Families and have experience of working with a wide range of mental health problems and life-stage issues.
I use emotionally focused couple therapy (Externship and Core Skills 3 & 4 training) and systemic therapy models in working with couples.
Areas of interest
Couple and Family Systemic Psychotherapy; Individual Psychological therapy using following models of treatment - CBT; Systemic; Adult Mental Health;
Individual and Family Therapy with Eating Disorders;Couple therapy using emotionally focused couple therapy and Systemic Psychotherapy Models.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
Current NHS consultant posts held
I am currently employed as a Highly Specialist Clinical Psychologist in the NHS and work with individuals and families.
I have done research into Stress in the Workplace, changes in relationship between middle-age daughters and their aging mothers.
Issues of culture and culturally mixed relationships.
de Villiers,N et al (2011). A Culturally attuned intervention for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder in a Community Mental Health Team: a multi-disciplinary case study. Context 113 (Gender and Culture), February 2.11, 11-14.
De Villiers, N et al (2007). Dipping your toes into change: a family clinic in an adult acute Psychiatric ward. Context 93, Oct. 2007.
De Villiers,N., Miller,K. &Whitehead,S.
Trustwide (South West London & St George’s NHS Mental Health Trust), Spring 2012.
Carson, J., Leary, J., Bartlett, H., de Villiers, N., Fagin, L., Holloway, F. & Thomas, B. (1995)
Manual for the Mental Health Nursing Stress Questionnaires. The Bethlem and Maudsley NHS Trust.
Carson, J., Leary, J., de Villiers, N., Fagin, L. & Radmall, J.
Stress in mental health nurses: A comparison or ward and community staff.
British Journal of Nursing, Vol.5 (10); 1995
Carson, J., Cooper, C., Fagin, L., West, M., McElfatrick, S., de Villiers, N., O’Malley, P.
Coping skills in mental health nursing: do they make a difference?
Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 3; 1996
Fagin, L., Carson, J., Leary, J., de Villiers, N., et al
Stress, coping and burnout in mental health nurses: findings from 3 research studies.
Special Issue of the International Journal of Social Psychiatry, July 1996
Carson, J., Fagin, L., Maal, S., de Villiers, N. & O’Malley, P.
Stress and fitness in ward-based mental health nurses.
Journal of Clinical Nursing, Vol.6 (419-420); 1997
Carson, J., Maal, S., Roche, S., Fagin, L., de Villiers, N. et al
Burnout in mental health nursing: much ado about nothing?
Stress Medicine, Vol.4; 1998
- Masters in Clinical Psychology Rhodes University, South Africa 1991
- MSc in Family, Couple and Systemic Psychotherapy Birkbeck University/Institute of Family Therapy 2008
- Full Accreditation with British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists. BABCP 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- Supervision Register - British Psychological Society, 2012
- Registration as an accredited user of the Diagnostic Assessment for Social and Communication Disorders (Autism)., 2011
- Accredited Systemic Supervisor - Association of Family Therapists, 2013
- ICEEFT - Externship and Core Skills in Emotionally focused couple therapy., 2015
Affiliations / memberships
Accredited Memberships with:
British Psychological Society
Health and Care Professional Council
British Association of Behavioral and Cognitive Psychotherapies
United Kingdom Council of Psychotherapy
International Center for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Barnes Avenue LONDON SW13 9AA
- 06:00 - 21:00
- 07843 734612
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.