- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Breast specialist
- Breast surgery
- Breast specialist
Mr Soni Soumian graduated from Dr MGR University, India and trained in General and Breast surgery in the West Midlands Higher Specialist Training programme. Following this, he undertook specialist training in Breast Reconstructive Surgery doing the Oncoplastic fellowship in the Department of Plastic Surgery, Birmingham City Hospital where he acquired extensive experience in various reconstruction techniques including lipomodelling.
His NHS appointment is as a Consultant Oncoplastic Breast and Reconstructive Surgeon at the University Hospital North Staffordshire Hospital, Stoke on Trent where he specializes in Breast cancer surgery and Breast reconstruction.
In addition to his clinical commitments, Mr Soumian is actively involved in teaching and training at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has been instrumental in starting oncoplastic training at the UHNS and also is the Director of the UHNM Keele Cadaveric Breast reconstruction course.
Mr Soumian has been actively involved in research and has published more than 20 peer reviewed publications in reputed journals and done multiple national and international presentations. He spent two and a half years at Imperial College, London doing molecular biology research and was awarded a research grant from the Charity Stroke Association towards his work on a molecular transporter ABCA1. His research led to the award of MD degree at the University of London. He is presently actively involved in Clinical trials at the University Hospital North Staffordshire Hospital.
Mr Soumian offers the full range of breast surgical procedures including breast cancer surgery, sentinel node and axillary procedures, therapeutic mammoplasty, immediate and delayed breast reconstruction, Intercostal artery perforator flaps for partial breast reconstruction, autologous tissue based techniques and lipomodelling (fat grafting). In addition, he is in charge of Lymphnode pathway at UHNS and also does hernia surgery.
Areas of interest
Management of all Breast conditions; Breast cancer management including breast surgery; Immediate and delayed breast reconstruction both implant based and autologous LD Flaps; Axillary surgery; sentinel node biopsy; Lipomodelling (Fat grafting); intercostal artery perforator flaps (LICAP); Therapeutic reduction mammoplasty; Mastpexy; Nipple reconstruction; Hernia surgery.
- Kym Roberts
- Secretary and data adminstrator - Surgery University Hospital of North Midlands Newcastle Road Stoke-On-Trent ST4 6QG
- 01782 957062
- 07928 272240
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Simon J Mills Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Oncoplastic Breast and General Surgeon
University Hospital of North Midlands
Stoke On Trent ST4 6QG
Breast cancer related research
MRI investigations in Breast
Breast reconstruction using implant and flaps
patient related outcomes
Staging investigations in cancer
Indian classical music
Young Investigators Prize, June 2003 Society of Vascular Medicine and Biology Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA
Research Grant Award of £106,659 from The Stroke Association towards the funding of my research project.
More than 20 scientific publications
Recent 5 publications
1. Jafferbhoy S, Chandarana M, Houlihan M, Parmeshwar R, Narayanan S, Soumian S, Harries S, Jones L, Clarke D. Early multicentre experience of pre-pectoral Implant based immediate breast reconstruction using Braxon®
Gland Surgery 2017 Accepted for publication July 2017.
2. Goussous G, Jafferbhoy S, Smyth N, Hammond L, Narayanan S, Kirby RM, Soumian S. Association of One-Step Nucleic Acid Amplification Detected Micrometastases with Tumour Biology and Adjuvant Chemotherapy.
Int J Breast Cancer. 2017 doi: 10.1155/2017/4971096. Epub 2017.
3. Lim LI, Tan M, Hammond L, Stephens M, Narayanan S, Soumian S, Kirby R. It is
not necessary to examine perinodal fat by histology in all patients undergoing sentinel lymph node biopsy assessment by one step nucleic acid amplification.
World Journal of Surgical Medical and Radiation Oncology 2014, 3:15
4. Soumian S, Verghese E, Booth M, Sharma N, Chaudhri S, Bradley S, Umranikar S, Millican-Slater RA, Hanby A, Francis A. Concordance Between Vaccum Assisted Biopsy and Post Operative Histology: Implications for the Proposed Low Risk DCIS Trial (LORIS)
European Journal of Surgical Oncology 2013 Dec;39(12):1337-40
5. Al-Ani S, Soumian S, Zapantioti P, Sterne G. The Latissimus Dorsi Donor site morbidity – The combination of quilting and fibrin sealant reduces the length of drain placement and seroma rate
Annals of Plastic Surgery May 15, 2014;72(6):729-30.
Courses offered to GPs
Regularly present at the GP meeting annually at Staffordshire (Both Stoke and Stafford)
Presentation at Patient group (Butterflies Breast care support group)
Regular audits of surgery and outcomes are presented locally and nationally and comparable to nationally reported data
- MBBS Dr MGR Medical University, India 1994
- MS (General Surgery) Dr MGR Medical University, India 1998
- FRCS (Ed) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2000
- MD (Research) Imperial College, London 2009
- FRCS (Gen. Surgery) Royal College of Surgeons 2010
- MS (Oncoplastic Surgery) University of East Anglia 2016
- Oncoplastic Fellowship Birmingham City Hospital 2011
Reference number 4774390
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- ABS representative for West Midlands Association of Breast Surgery, UK 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2011
Affiliations / memberships
Medical Defence Union
British Medical Association
Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Association of Breast Surgeons
Association of Breast Surgeons of India
British International Doctors Association
- Clayton RoadNEWCASTLE-UNDER-LYMEST5 4DB
- 06:00 - 08:00
- 07928 272240
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
contact Nuffield Hospital