- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Video consultations
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
Saiju Jacob did his early neurology training at the Atkinson Morley’s/St George’s Hospital in London, later moving to the West Midlands where he completed his specialist training. He did a neuromuscular / neuroimmunology fellowship under the guidance of Prof. Angela Vincent and Dr David Hilton-Jones at the University of Oxford. His doctoral thesis was on the clinical, immunological and neurophysiological aspects of myasthenia gravis. He is currently a Consultant Neurologist at the University Hospitals of Birmingham. He is also an Honorary Reader at the University of Birmingham, where he looks into various neuroimmunological aspects of peripheral and central nervous system disorders.
Areas of interest
Neuromuscular; Neuroimmunology; Myasthenia Gravis; Autoimmune encephalitis; General neurology.
Current NHS consultant posts held
University Hospitals Birmingham
1. Saiju Jacob. Autoimmune encephalitis – Editorial (Neurology India, 2015 In Press).
2. Karim A, Jacob S. New autoantibodies in neuroimmunological practice. Ann Clin Biochem (Invited article – 2015; in preparation).
3. Elsone L, Kitley J, Luppe S, Lythgoe D, Mutch K, Jacob S, et al. Long-term efficacy, tolerability and retention rate of azathioprine in 103 aquaporin-4 antibody-positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder patients: a multicentre retrospective observational study from the UK. Mult Scler. 2014 Mar 19.
4. Rickards H, Jacob S, Lennox B, Nicholson T. Autoimmune encephalitis and mental disorders. Advances in Pychiatric Treatment (2014) (Review article).
5. Boukouvala S, Jacob S, Lane M, Denniston AK, Burdon MA. Detection of branch retinal artery occlusions in Susac's syndrome. BMC Res Notes. 2014 Jan 21;7(1):56.
6. Jacob S, Rajabally YA. Immunomodulation in Inflammatory Neuropathies:Rationale and Safety. Curr Drug Saf. 2013 Sep;8(4):225-35.
7. Jacob S, Vincent A. Autoimmune Myasthenias, Muscle Disease: Pathology and Genetics, Eds. Goebel HH, Sewry CA, Weller RO. (2013) (Textbook chapter).
8. .Jacob S, Viegas S, Hilton-Jones D. Myasthenia gravis, Oxford Text book of Clinical Neurology (Neuromuscular disorders) Eds. Hilton-Jones D, Turner, M. (2013) (Textbook chapter).
9. Jacob S, Viegas S, Leite MI et al. Presence and pathogenic relevance of antibodies to clustered acetylcholine receptor in ocular and generalized myasthenia. Arch Neurol 2012;69:994-1001.
10.Viegas S, Jacobson L, Waters P, Cossins J, Jacob S, Leite MI, Webster R, Vincent A. Passive and active immunization models of MuSK-Ab positive myasthenia: Electrophysiological evidence for pre and postsynaptic defects. Exp Neurol. 2012;234:506-12. (Original article).
11. Karim A and Jacob S. Immunological markers in neurological disorders. Ann Clin Biochem 2012;49:29-43 (Review).
12. Saiju Jacob, John Winer. Guillain Barré syndrome. BMJ Best Practice (2011) (Review article).
13. Saiju Jacob. Myasthenic syndromes. In Woodward S (Eds), Text book of Neuroscience Nursing. Blackwell publishing, Oxford (2011) (Textbook chapter).
14. Karim A, Jacob S. Neuroimmunology. In Hall A, Yates S (Eds) Immunology, Fundamentals of Biomedical Science (2010) (Textbook chapter).
15. Saiju Jacob, Yusuf Rajabally. Current proposed mechanism of action of intravenous immunoglobulins in inflammatory neuropathies. Curr Neuropharmacol 2009; 7: 337-42. (Review).
- MBBS University of Kerala 1997
- MD The TN Dr MGR Medical University 2001
- FRCP (UK), FRCP (Lon) Royal College of Physicians 2001
- DPhil (Clinical Neurology) University of Oxford 2008
Reference number 5203628
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council - CCT Neurology, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council
Medical Defence Union
Royal College of Physicians
Association of British Neurologists
British Peripheral Nerve Society
International League Against Epilepsy
American Association of Neurology
European Academy of Neurology
- BMI The Priory Hospital, B5 7UG
- 09:00 - 11:00
- 0121 684 0195
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.