- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Alasdair Robertson has been a consultant in Greater Glasgow since 2009. His NHS work is split between the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, the Royal Alexandra Hospital and Inverclyde Royal Hospital. He has a special interest in diseases of the nose and sinuses (rhinology). His rhinology practice includes sinus surgery, removal of nasal polyps, the management of nasal allergy and septorhinoplasty. He also lead the introduction of balloon sinuplasty surgery to Glasgow, having been to New York and Madrid to learn the technique.
Alasdair also treats all general ENT conditions and frequently sees patients with problems with their ears and throat.
Alasdair has a keen interest in medical education and holds the following posts-
Training Program Director for the West of Scotland ENT registrar training program.
Educational Convenor for ENT Scotland.
Honorary Clinical Lecture at Glasgow University.
Advisor of undergraduate studies at Glasgow University.
Interviewer for entry into Glasgow University Medical School.
Member of the Faculty of Surgical Trainers
Alasdair was instrumental in bringing the 2019 annual British Rhinology Society conference to Glasgow and he was closely involved in its organisation. He Also helped to organise the 2019 Joint meeting of ENT Scotland and the North of England ENT Society, which was held in Edinburgh.
Alasdair carries out research and has published multiple papers in the field of rhinology. He is part of the national Chronic Rhinosinusitis Epidemiology Study (CRES), which has published five papers on the study and is in the process of writing up more.
Areas of interest
Blocked nose; nasal polyps; deviated nasal septum; allergic rhinitis, sinusitis; smell disorders; nasal infections; facial pain; headaches; nasal deformity
Sinus surgery; polypectomy; balloon sinuplasty; sinus endoscopy; septoplasty; septorhinoplasty
Hearing loss; tinnitus; vertigo; imbalance; ear infections; impacted wax; discharging ear; perforated ear drum
Aural toilet (ear cleaning); grommet insertion; myringoplasty
Tonsillitis; swallowing difficulties; hoarseness; sore throat; snoring
tonsillitis; blocked nose; hearing loss; sore ears; snoring
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Alasdair Robertson is an ear,nose and throat surgeon based in Glasgow. He also works in the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley, the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Glasgow and Inverclyde Royal Hospital in Greenock. He qualified in medicine at Glasgow University in 1995. He gained wide experience in ENT by working in various ENT departments in Scotland, then England and Wales before returning to Glasgow in 2009 to take up his current consultant post.
Alasdair Robertson has published widely in professional journals. He maintains an interest in research and is currently the West of Scotland coordinator for the national chronic rhino sinusitis epidemiology study (C.R.E.S.). He has also been a reviewer for the clinical anatomist journal and is an active member of the British Rhinological Society.
LAST FOUR PUBLICATIONS
1. The Burden of Revision Sinonasal Surgery in the UK – Data from the Chronic Rhinosinusitis Epidemiology Study (CRES); a cross sectional study. Philpott et al. BMJ Open. 2015; 5(4): e006680.
2. A cross sectional analysis of a case-control study about quality of life in CRS in the UK; a comparison between CRS subtypes..Erskine S1, Hopkins C2, Kumar N3, Wilson J4, Clark A1, Robertson A5, Kara N6, Sunkaraneni V7, Anari S8, Philpott C1. Rhinology. 2016 Dec 1;54(4):311-315. doi: 10.4193/Rhin15.361.
3. SNOT-22 in a control population. Erskine SE1,2, Hopkins C3, Clark A1, Anari S4, Kumar N5, Robertson A6, Sunkaraneni S7, Wilson JA8, Carrie S9, Kara N10, Ray J11, Smith R12, Philpott CM1,2; CRES Group. Clin Otolaryngol. 2017 Feb;42(1):81-85.
4. Current Use of Baseline Medical Treatment in Chronic Rhinosinusitis: Data from the National Chronic Rhinosinusitis Epidemiology Study (CRES)Clinical otolaryngology 43(Suppl 1) • October 2017
Courses offered to GPs
Recent GP talks given
-Management of rhinitis
- FRCS ORL/HNS Royal College of Surgeons 2008
- Diploma in Laryngology and Otology Royal College of Surgeons 2002
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons 1998
- MB/ChB Medical degree Glasgow University 1995
Reference number 4188623
Details of entry to specialist register
- Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose and Throat), 2009
Affiliations / memberships
-British Rhinological Society
-British Association of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (ENT-UK)
-Scottish Otolaryngology Society
-Faculty of Surgical Trainers
-British Association of Clinical Anatomists
- BMI Ross Hall Hospital, G52 3NQ
- 15:00 - 17:00
- 0141 810 3151
- Nuffield Health Glasgow Hospital, G12 0PJ
- 09:00 - 11:00
- 0141 530 3610
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Royal Alexandral Hospital
0141 314 6784