- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Lower GI surgery
Abhi Sharma completed his medical training in BJ Medical College and David Sassoon Hospital, Pune, India followed by three year general surgical residency training in SMS College and Hospital, Jaipur, India.
He moved to Yorkshire in 2001 and underwent basic surgical training (2001-2003) in Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust. He then undertook basic sciences and clinical research under Professor John Monson and Professor Lesley Walker culminating in an MD in 2005. He started specialist registrar training in the Yorkshire Deanery in 2005.
He trained in Leeds, Hull and Sheffield among other hospitals in Yorkshire. He also went for a three month pelvic floor and proctology fellowship to Mannheim, Germany and worked with Professor Alex Herold.
After obtaining CCT and completing specialist registrar training in June 2011, he went to Rochester, NY, USA for a colorectal fellowship to further his experience in colorectal surgery.
He started working in UHSM in July 2012.
His interests include pelvic floor surgery, laparoscopic and minimally invasive colorectal surgery including surgery for cancer and inflammatory bowel disease and advanced endoscopy and transanal microsurgical techniques. He has also been extensively involved in research during his career and has over 45 peer reviewed journal publications. His personal website is http://manchestergeneralandcolorectalsurgery.co.uk/.
Areas of interest
Gall bladder surgery; Hernia; Pelvic floor surgery; Faecal incontinence; Sacral nerve stimulation; Constipation; Rectal prolapse; Ventral mesh rectopexy; Surgery for Crohn's disease; Ulcerative colitis; Single incision surgery; Laparoscopic surgery; Colonoscopy; Advanced polypectomy; TEMS; Excision of rectal polyps; Surgery for colorectal cancer;(hemicolectomy; TEMS; Laparoscopic surgery and SILS; Pilonidal sinus; Perianal fistula; Haemorrhoids; Stapled haemorrhoidopexy; HALO; Small bowel resection. anal pain, anal fissure
- Kay Watson (Private Practice Manager)
- BMI The Alexandra Hospital Mill Lane CHEADLE SK8 2PX
- 0161 495 7750
- 0161 291 0763
Anaesthetists worked with
Mr Abhiram Sharma has worked with Dr Elankathir Selvaraasan at the following hospitals:
- BMI The Alexandra Hospital (1-5)
- Google citations: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=ZBueX5EAAAAJ&hl=en
- Reuters interview: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/09/us-smokers-colorectal-surgery-idUSBRE8A81LG20121109
- Reviews: https://www.iwantgreatcare.org/doctors/mr-abhiram-sharma
- ACPGBI: https://www.acpgbi.org.uk/patients/surgeon-directory/ACP00242/abhiram-sharma/
- Researchgate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Abhiram_Sharma
- NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/profiles/consultant/5198766
- Website: http://manchestergeneralandcolorectalsurgery.co.uk/
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant General and Colorectal Surgeon, MFT Wythenshawe and Withington Hospitals
Outcome measures, Colorectal Cancer, Pelvic Floor, ambulatory laparoscopic cholecystectomy, laparoscopic colorectal resection, treatment of rectal cancer, sacral nerve stimulation, Quality of life after surgery,
Reuters: Smoking and complications in colorectal Surgery, http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/09/us-smokers-colorectal-surgery-idUSBRE8A81LG20121109
- MBBS Pune University 1997
- MS SMS College, University of Rajasthan 2000
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2003
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh 2008
- MD University of HULL 2006
- Fellowship University of Mannheim 2011
- Fellowship Unversity of Rochester 2012
Reference number 5198766
Affiliations / memberships
- 170 Barlow Moor RoadDidsburyManchesterM20 2AF
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 0161 447 6600
- BMI The Alexandra Hospital
- 08:30 - 11:00
- 0161 495 7750
- BMI The Alexandra Hospital, SK8 2PX
- 13:00 - 14:00
- 0161 428 3656
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
0161 495 7750