- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Ramsay Rivers Hospital, Ramsay Springfield Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Video and telephone consultations
I started my career in Ophthalmology in 1993.
I am currently the Clinical Lead Ophthalmic Surgeon at Princess Alexandra Hospital.
I am a Member of Royal College Of Ophthalmologists.
I manage all general Eye conditions including ophthalmic emergencies and have special interest in cataract surgeries, Age Related Macular Degeneration,Diabetic retinopathy, retinal vein Occlusions and other medical retinal disorders.
Im a Principal Investigator in several upcoming Clinical Trials involving upcoming treatments for AMD,Diabetic eye conditions and retinal vein Occlussions
Areas of interest
Catarct surgeries with Monofocal ,Multifocal and Toric lenses,Retinal disorders: Macular degeneration; Vein occlusions; Diabetic eye disease; Intravitreal steroid implants; Intravitreal Lucentis, Eylea, Avastin injections; General Ophthalmic conditions
Current NHS consultant posts held
Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust
Hamstel Road, Harlow
Principal Investigator in a variety of macular degeneration and Diabetic maculopathy Clinical trials .
Spending time with family
Best Outgoing Postgraduate in Ophthalmology 1997
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Tamil - Fluent
1. Br J Ophthalmol. 2020 Apr;104(4):493-499.
doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2019-314251. Epub 2019 Aug 5.- Anatomical and functional outcomes following switching from aflibercept to ranibizumab in neovascular age-related macular degeneration in Europe: SAFARI study
2. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2019;137(11):1256-1264. doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2019.3305
• Clinical Effectiveness of Intravitreal Therapy With Ranibizumab vs Aflibercept vs Bevacizumab for Macular EdemaSecondary to Central Retinal Vein Occlusion-A Randomized Clinical Trial
• Clinical efficacy of Intravitreal Aflibercept versus Panretinal Photocoagulation for best corrected visual acuity in patients with proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy at 52 weeks(CLARITY): a multicentre,singleblinded,randomised,controlled,phase2b,noni-inferiority trial
4. LANCET-Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2018 May; 6(5): 382–391.doi: 10.1016/S2213-8587(18)30036-6
• Clinical efficacy and safety of a light mask for prevention of dark adaptation in treating and preventing progression of early diabetic macular oedema at 24 months (CLEOPATRA): a multicentre, phase 3, randomised controlled trial
• Intravitreal ranibizumab for the treatment of macular oedema associated with branch retinal vein occlusion (BRVO): Results for 3 years Nov 2018
• Intravitreal Ranibizumab for the Treatment of Macular Oedema Associated with Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion 3 Year Results
7. Eye (2017) 31, S2–S9 Ranibizumab in AMD-5years audit 2017
8. Eye (2017) 31, S2–S9 Ranibizumab in DMO-2years audit 2017
9. Eye 2011Jul 29. doi: 10.1038/eye.2011.180.
• Long-term survival in a case of bilateral diffuse uveal melanocytic proliferation.
10. Eye 24, 1732-1733 (November 2010) | doi:10.1038/eye.2010.132
• Morning glory with serous macular detachment responds to oral acetazolamide
11. bmj.com/cgi/eletters/340/may07-Audit of Avastin shows similar efficacy to Lucentis
12. May 2010Eye 2007; 21:177-82 Microincisional cataract surgery with implantation of Thinoptx® through 1.70mm clear corneal incision
Courses offered to GPs
•Euretina-2018- Retrospective 3 years audit of Ranibizumab (PRN) vs Ranibizubmab (Treat and Extend) vs Aflibercept (as per UK licence) in patients with Neovascular age-related macular degeneration.
•Ranibizumab in RVO-3 years -Retina Clinical audit Day 2017
•Ranibizumab in AMD-5years audit=-Retina Clinical Audit day 2016
•Ranibizumab in DMO-2years audit-Retina Clinical audit Day2016
•EURETINAsep2014 London-Clinical efficacy of Intravitreal dexamethasone implant in retinal vein occlusio
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://portal.phin.org.uk/Pages/ViewMyPracticeReports.aspx?report=consultantapcactivity
- MBBS Stanley Medical College,Chennai,India 1993
- Masters in Surgery(Ophthalmology) Mahatma Gandhi Medical College,India 1997
- FRCS(Ophthalmology) Royal college of Surgeons,Glasgow 2001
- International Council Of Ophthalmology Cambridge 2001
- Certificate of Specialist Registration GMC 2010
Reference number 4769862
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Membership Royal College Of Ophthalmologists 2016
- Membership Medical and Dental Defence(MDDUS) 2015
- Licence to Practice General Medical Council 2020
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College Of Ophthalmologists
- Rivers Hospital, CM21 0HH
- 09:00 - 17:30
- 01279 600282
- Rivers Hospital, CM21 0HH
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 01279 600282
- Springfield Hospital, CM1 7GU
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 01245 234000
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details