- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
Last updated: 29 Jun 2020
- Inflammatory bowel disease
1) Consultant gastroenterologist: Appointed at University Hospital Coventry in 1991.
~1 of 4 clinicians providing therapeutic ERCP service. 2) Highest standards of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (Gastroscopy, Colonoscopy & ERCP), with Caecal intubation rates (Colonoscopy) and Biliary cannulation rates (ERCP) superior to National Benchmarks. 3) Awarded the British Society of Gastroenterology President's Medal 2016 for Services to gastroenterology Nationally.
Areas of interest
Endoscopic procedures;gastroscopy;colonoscopy;therapeutic endoscopy;ERCP;Dyspepsia;colorectal disease;Inflammatory bowel disease;oesophageal disease;reflux
Current NHS consultant posts held
Department of Gastroenterologist.
A) Publications: 106 including 64 peer reviewed original papers-chapters-editorials-books. 42 scientific abstracts. 7 articles in last 5 years.
B) Clinical research interests: 1) Oesophageal cancer Palliation (6 publications). 2) Barrett's oesophagus: Co-author national guidelines on Barrett's surveillance (Published 2013). Local organiser for UK Barrett's Registry.
1)British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG): Appointed Treasurer and Trustee (2013-Current), Chairman Clinical Services & Standards Committee BSG and Associate Editor GUT (2006-12), responsible for National Guidelines in Gastroenterology.
Awarded BSG President's Medal for services to gastroenterology Nationally, 2016.
2) Royal College Physicians, Member of: Clinical effectiveness forum (2006-09), concerning "Good Doctors, safer patients", revalidation, governance, standards & guidelines.
ACCEA (Advisory Committee on clinic excellence award. Gov UK). Silver National excellence award 2008.
M.R.C.P. (U.K.) 1982
MD. (Birm) 1991
AGAF American gastroenterological Association Fellow 2008.
Publications: 106 including 64 peer reviewed original papers-chapters-editorials-books. 42 scientific abstracts. 7 articles in last 5 years.
1) Fitzgerald R, Pietro M, Ragunath K, Loft DE, et al. British Society of Gastroenterology guidelines on the diagnosis and management of Barrett’s oesophagus. Gut Online, published on October 28, 2013 as 10.1136/gutjnl-2013-305372
2) Harrison E, Li K, Petchey M, Nwokolo C, LOFT DE, Arasaradnam R. Selective measurement of anti-tTG antibodies in coeliac disease and IgA deficiency – an alternative pathway. Postgraduate Medical Journal 2013;89:1047 4-7.
3) A.C. Sherley-Dale, J.M.R. Goulding, J. Leithead, D.E. LOFT, I. Ahmed. Pigmentary changes in pernicious anaemia: an important but under-recognised phenomenon. Clinical & experimental Dermatology 2011;36(1): 93–95.
Courses offered to GPs
A) President Midland Gastroenterological Society (MGS, 2010-11): Co-organised and chaired 3 meetings Through MGS we sponsor a Midlands Clinician to attend the Tokyo Centre to learn advanced endoscopy techniques.
B) Course Organiser for the following National & International meetings: 1) Disease Management course in integrated Gastroenterology. Hamburg.
~Colonoscopy caecal intubation rates >97% (compared with National benchmark for expert colonoscopy for the colorectal screening program of 90%).
~ERCP diagnostic success >97%, therapeutic success >91%, low complications <1%, (Exemplary figures compared with National ERCP audit of 66 expert centres 2004: 85%, 71%, >5% respectively). ~Local organiser for National BSG ERCP, and colonoscopy audits. ~Published my outcome data for GTN in ERCP which has been adopted by many units nationally. ~Clinical lead (1991-2007), Gastroenterology: Introduced Consultant appraisal. Delivering successfully national targets for 2 week cancer & Out Patient waiting times
- MB, ChB 1978. Birmingham University 1978
- MRCP UK 1982
- FRCP UK 1996
- MD University Birmingham 1991
- AGAF American Gastroenterological Association 2008
- Senior Registrar Central Middlesex Hospital 1990
Reference number 2430737
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Treasurer British Society of Gastroenterology 2013
- Chairman Clinical Services & Standards Committee British Society of Gastroenterology 2012
- President Midland Gastroenterological Society Midland Gastroenterological Society 2011
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC, 1979
- Specialist Accreditation gastroenterology, 1991
- Specialist Accreditation General Internal medicine, 1991
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Gastroenterology
American Gastroenterological Association
Midland Gastroenterological Society.
Royal College of Physicians
- BMI The Meriden Hospital, CV2 2LQ
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 024 7664 7000
- Nuffield Health Warwickshire Hospital, CV32 6RW
- 17:00 - 20:00
- 01926 358611
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr Duncan Loft.
or 024 76966088