- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Giuliani is a specialist Neonatal and Paediatric Surgeon at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children and Honorary Senior Lecturer at St.George’s University of London. He graduated in Medicine and Surgery at the University of Udine (Italy) in 2000 and earned his Italian Medical Licence in 2001. In December 2006 he became a certified paediatric surgeon after a five-year programme at the University of Padova (Italy).
Mr Giuliani worked for four years in the United States of America. He earned his American Medical Licence in December 2006, and from 2004 to 2006 undertook a research fellowship at the Children's Hospital Los Angeles, University of Southern California developing a project on regenerative medicine. He eventually earned his Doctorate in research (PhD) on stem cells for renal regeneration and cell therapy.
From 2007 to 2009 Mr Giuliani undertook a clinical international fellowship in paediatric surgery at the Children's Hospital Los Angeles where he acquired advanced skills in neonatal surgery, paediatric minimally invasive surgery, trauma, kidney transplantation and oncology.
Mr Giuliani has been living and working in the UK since 2010. He is focusing his work in advancing the field of paediatric surgery to improve the quality of surgical treatment in his young patients. His international background makes Mr Giuliani a fully trained and experienced paediatric surgeon aware of the latest and most advanced minimally invasive surgical techniques (laparoscopy and thoracoscopy) in the paediatric field.
Areas of interest
Minimally invasive surgery (laparoscopy-thoracoscopy); Neonatal surgery (oesophageal atresia, anorectal malformations, Hirschsprung's disease, intestinal atresia, congenital diaphragmatic hernia, etc); Upper and Lower gastrointestinal surgery (gastro-oesophageal reflux, acute appendicitis, chronic abdominal pain, gastrostomy, gallbladder stones, etc); Paediatric Oncologic Surgery; General paediatric surgery (inguinal & umbilical hernia, circumcision, undescended testis, constipation, skin and soft tissue lumps); Congenital Vascular Anomalies (Infantile hemangiomas and vascular malformation); Prenatal Counselling
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Specialist Neonatal and Paediatric Surgeon at Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust
Great Ormond Street
Tel: +44(0)20 7405 9200
Mr Giuliani’s research focuses on: causes of necrotizing enterocolitis in premature babies, minimally invasive surgical techniques, sepsis and inflammation in children, outcomes in neonatal surgery and oncology.
He has published more than 50 articles in peer-reviewed journals and he regularly presents his research at international meetings all around the world.
Sailing, reading, running
- NHS Leadership Academy Award in Leadership Foundations, April 2016
- Commendation Harvard Medical School GCSRT Program, June 2015
- PhD Thesis with Honours: 'Amniotic Fluid Stem Cells and Kidney Regeneration'. University of Padova, Italy, January 2010
- EUPSA Young Investigator Award: 'In vitro and in vivo Application of Amniotic Fluid Stem Cells (AFSC) for Renal Tissue Regeneration'. 8th Congress of the European Association of Paediatric Surgeons (EUPSA), Torino, Italy, May 2007
English, Italian, Spanish
- Giuliani S, Cecil E V, Apelt N, Sharland M, Saxena S. Paediatric emergency appendectomy and 30-day postoperative outcomes in District General Hospitals and Specialist Paediatric Surgical Centres in England, April 2001 to March 2012. Ann Surg 2016;263(1):184-90
- Springford LR, Connor MJ, Jones K, Kapetanakis VV, Giuliani S. Prevalence of active long-term problems in patients with anorectal malformations: a systematic review. Dis Col Rect 2016; 59(6):570-80
- Giuliani S, Tan YW, Zheng D, Petropoulou E, Sohail A, Bradley S, Richards J, Kennea N, Jamshidi J. Coagulation gene expression profiling in infants with Necrotizing Enterocolitis. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2016 Mar 31 [Epub ahead of print]
Courses offered to GPs
Available for lunch and dinner GPs seminars&talks
- Italian Medical Licence University of Udine, Italy 2001
- United States Medical Licence (USMLE Step 1, 2, 3) ECFMG 2006
- PhD in Developmental Medicine and Planning Science Department of Paediatrics, University of Padova, Italy 2010
- FRCS (Eng) Royal College of Surgeons 2012
- International Fellowship in Paediatric Surgery (2-years) Children's Hospital Los Angeles, University of Southern California, USA 2009
Reference number 7118038
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialty in Paediatric Surgery, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
BAPS,EUPSA, IPEG, SICP, ESOT
- Ashtead Hospital, KT21 2SB
- 15:00 - 17:00
- 07854 761445
- Harley Street Clinic 81-83 Harley Street...
- 09:00 - 11:00
- 07854 761445
- Spire St Anthony's Hospital, SM3 9DW
- 16:00 - 17:30
- 07854 761445
- The Portland Hospital for Women and Children,...
- 09:00 - 10:30
- 07854 761445
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.