- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Accredited Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer the Full Pathway cataract surgery package for Bupa customers ...more
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Oculoplastic surgery
- Surgical lacrimal
I started my medical and Ophthalmology training in India and continued it in the UK. I have obtained my Fellowship in Oculoplastics and Lacrimal Disease from Newcastle and have practiced as a Consultant in the NHS at Darlington and currently in Newcastle.
I specialize in oculoplastics and lacrimal clinical and surgical services, adult cataract surgery, and also provide general ophthalmology. I also specialize in treating skin cancers around the eye in collaboration with my Dermatology colleagues.
Areas of interest
Periocular skin cancer
Current NHS consultant posts held
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Queen Victoria Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
My research interests are in the fields of skin cancers around the eye and diagnosis of Temporal Arteritis.
Medical Education: I have a Diploma in clinical education and am active in training medical students, junior doctors, nurses and general practitioners.
English, Hindi, Tamil, Marathi
1. Narayanan K, Hadid OH, Barnes EA. Mohs micrographic surgery versus surgical excision for periocular basal cell carcinoma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009 Apr 15;(2):CD007041. (Last update 2014)
2. Narayanan K, Griffiths PG, Pandit RJ. Transient and sub-clinical Horner’s syndrome as manifestations of internal carotid artery dissection. J Neuro-Ophthalmol 2010; 30: 342-343
3. Narayanan K. Another use for a pupil dilating device.
J Cataract Refract Surg: 2006;32: 1409.
4. Narayanan K, Barnes EA. Epiphora with Lid Laxity
Courses offered to GPs
I have presented talks to GP groups and Optometrists on various topics like
- Red eye
- Lax lids and watery eyes
- General Ophthalmology
Never Events: 0
Serious Untoward Incidents: 0
Medication Errors: 0
HCAI - C.diff deaths: 0
HCAI- MRSA bacteraemia: 0
Litigation cases: 0
- MBBS Nagpur University, Nagpur, India 1989
- M.S. Ophthalmology Nagpur University, Nagpur, India 1994
- F.R.C.S.(Edin)Ophthalmology Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1999
- Specialty Fellowship in Ophthalmology Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2008
- Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Education University of Newcastle upon Tyne 2006
- NHS Leadership Academy Award in Senior Healthcare Leadership and MSc in Healthcare Leadership NHS Leadership Academy/ University of Birmingham 2015
- Fellowship in Oculoplastics, Lacrimal diseases & Orbital diseases Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- Certificate of completion of training, 2009
- Entry to Specialist Register, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
- British Medical Association
- Royal college of Ophthalmologists
- All India Ophthalmological Society
- Nuffield Health Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital
- 17:00 - 19:00
- 0191 212 5214
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Secretary / Contact details
Secretary: Lynsey Cook