- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Inflammatory bowel disease
John de Caestecker has been Consultant Gastroenterologist in Leicester since 1993 and honorary Associate Professor, School of Medicine and Biological Sciences, University of Leicester. He was honorary visiting Professor, Faculty of Health and Life Sciences, Department of Allied Health Sciences, DeMontfort University, Leicester until 2015. He is past President of the Midlands Gastroenterological Society and chair of the BSG Oesophageal Section (2014-2016).
Undergraduate training was at Cambridge University and Middlesex Hospital, London. Clinical and research interests in oesophageal motility disorders, gastro-oesophageal reflux and non-cardiac chest pain, were developed during postgraduate training in Edinburgh and at St George's Hospital in London.
He developed an interest in endotherapy of Barrett’s about 15 years ago, with published papers on APC. He is Chief Investigator (CI) of BRIDE, NIHR funded Barrett’s endotherapy study, deputy CI of ABBA, NIHR funded trial of acetic acid chromoendoscopy in Barrett's surveillance, and TMG Chair of the multicentre AspECT trial (chemoprevention of neoplasia in Barrett’s oesophagus). Both these latter trials are due to report in 2018.
He is an experienced interventional endoscopist and Bowel Cancer Screening colonoscopist, carrying out Level 4 endoscopic polyp resection. He is also lead of the oesophageal function test laboratory at Glenfield hospital, with a regional and national referral practice for oesophageal motility disorders.
Areas of interest
Gastro-oesophageal reflux; Barrett's oesophagus; Oesophageal disease
Heartburn; abdominal pain; swallowing difficulty; diarrhoea; non-cardiac chest pain; polyps
- Jill Halfpenny
- Glenfield General Hospital Groby Road LEICESTER LE3 9QP
- 07982 301410
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant gastroenterologist, University Hospitals of Leicester (Glenfield Hospital, Leicester General Hospital, Coalville Community Hospital)
Clinical and research interests in oesophageal motility disorders, gastro-oesophageal reflux and non-cardiac chest pain, endotherapy of Barrett’s oesophagus. TMG Chairman of the multicentre AspECT trial (chemoprevention of neoplasia in Barrett’s oesophagus), and Chief Investigator of BRIDE, NIHR funded Barrett’s endotherapy study.. Also deputy chief investigator for the NIHR funded ABBA study (Barrett's oesophagus surveillance using acetic acid).
Rugby (especially Leicester Tigers!)
1st Class Honours in Parts 1A and 1B of the Medical Science Tripos, Cambridge (1972,1973).
2.1 Honours in Part II Pathology, Cambridge (1974)
John Worthington Scholar in Medical Sciences, Peterhouse 1972-1973.
Senior Scholar in Medical Sciences, Peterhouse 1973-4.
A.R. Graham Prize in Medicine, Peterhouse 1972
Distinction in Pathology, Final M.B.,B.Chir., Cambridge, 1977.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- MA Cambridge University 1978
- MB BChir Cambridge University 1977
- MD Cambridge University 1991
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians of London 1996
- FRCPE Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh 1996
Reference number 2391768
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chairman, Oesophageal section British Society of Gastroenterology 2016
- President Midlands Gastroenterology Society 2014
- President Association of Gastrointestinal Physiologists 2015
- Clinical Advisor NICE Guidelines Development Group for Dyspepsia 2014
- Medical Advisor IQIPS Governance Group (Royal College of Physicians of London) 2015
- Clinical Advisor National Physiological Diagnostics Board 2014
- NICE Expert Advisor National Institute for Health and care Excellence 2017
Details of entry to specialist register
- Gastroenterology and General Internal Medicine, 1991
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Gastroenterology (member)
Royal College of Physicians (fellow - London and Edinburgh)
- Spire Leicester HospitalGartree...
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 0116 272 0888
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.