- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Sleep disorders
Dr Ali is working as a Consultant in Respiratory and General Medicine at Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. He is the clinical lead for the Sleep and Ventilation service at Southend. He completed his training in Respiratory and General Medicine in Cambridge before taking up the post in Southend.
Dr Ali has special clinical and research interests in sleep related problems and developed these skills while working in the sleep centre at Papworth Hospital, Cambridge. He did his research in sleep apnoea at Papworth and the findings have been published in the international scientific journals. He has presented in a number of international and national conferences.
Areas of interest
Chronic cough; COPD; Emphysema; Asthma; Lung Cancer, Sleep Disorders including Sleep Apnoea, Respiratory Failure
Current NHS consultant posts held
Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trusts
Sleep apnoea and air travel
NHS Clinical Excellence Award, Southend Hospital Heroes 2015 Award, Nominee for HSJ 2016 award.
• Ali M, Smith IE, Gulati A, Shneerson JM. Pre-flight assessment in patients with obesity hypoventilation syndrome. Respirology.doi: 10.1111/resp.12353
• Ali M, Smith IE, Gulati A, Shneerson JM. Hypoxic challenge assessments in individuals with obstructive sleep apnoea. Sleep Med. 2011 Feb;12(2):158-62.
• Oscroft NS, Ali M, Gulati A et al. A randomised crossover trial comparing volume assured and pressure preset noninvasive ventilation in stable hypercapnic COPD. COPD. 2010 Dec;7(6):398-403.
• Jordan KE, Ali M, Shneerson JM. Attitudes of patients towards a hospital-based rehabilitation service for obesity hypoventilation syndrome. Thorax. 2009 Nov;64(11):1007
• Ali M. Role of EGFR mutations in the pathogenesis of lung adenocarcinomas. Lung Alert. Thorax 2006; 61: 16.
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians London 2014
- CCST - Respiratory & General Medicine East of England Deanery, Cambridge 2010
Reference number 5205676
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
British Thoracic Society
East Anglian Thoracic Society
- Spire Wellesley Hospital, SS2 4XH
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 01702 462944
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.