- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Lower GI surgery
Mr Omar Faiz is a Colorectal Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer. He has practised since 2008 when he was appointed to Imperial College. In 2012 he moved his clinical NHS practice to St Mark's hospital and Academic Institute - an internationally recognised hospital for the specialist management of gastrointestinal diseases. He is the current Director of Research for St Mark's hospital.
HIs principal clinical interests are Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Colorectal cancer and proctology.
Mr Faiz represents colorectal surgery in a number of national initiatives. Specifically, he chairs the Inflammatory Bowel Disease subcommittee for the Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland (ACPGBI). He is also Chair for the ACPGBI Ileal Pouch Registry. In addition, he is on the board of the National Cancer Intelligence Network S&R Committee (Public Health England) and has contributed towards guideline development for the 'IBD Standards' and NICE IBD. In addition, Mr Faiz chairs the gastrointestinal surgery initiative of Global Comparators - an international benchmarking and quality improvement group comprising sixty worldwide academic hospitals..
Areas of interest
Laparoscopic (Keyhole) Colorectal surgery (lower GI); Bowel disease including inflammatory (IBD) and Colorectal Cancer; Hereditary Bowel Cancer, Abdominal Wall Repair, Proctology (Haemorrhoids and fistula); Fissure,Lower GI endoscopy
- Gemma Bright
- London Surgical Partnership 116 Harley Street London W1G 7AL
- 020 7034 8062
- 07827 351578
Video and telephone consultations
- Offers video and telephone consultations
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Elizabeth Whitehead Fee Assured
- Dr Stephen Littler Not Fee Assured
- Dr Jong Fong Fee Assured
- Dr Nadeem Sabir Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
St Mark's Hospital & Academic Institute
North West London Hospitals Trust
Mr Faiz is an academic surgeon with extensive research experience.
- Over 160 accepted peer-reviewed publications
- 15 book chapters
- Authored 3 text books.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Burmese - Conversational
Mr Faiz has generated research that have been reported widely throughout the print and television media.
Media reports on his research have appeared in the Independent, Telegraph, Daily Mail, Sky News, BBC News & CNN.
Courses offered to GPs
1. Improving outcome in surgery
2. The surgical management of Inflammatory Bowel Disease
3. The future of colorectal cancer surgery
0% mortality in elective surgery
2% reoperation rate (national average 6%)
I undertake a wide variety of complex colorectal surgery and have achieved very low complication and mortality rates.
- MBBS University of London 1994
- FRCS(Eng) Royal College of Surgeons 1999
- MS University of London 2007
- FRCS (Gen Surg) Royal College of Surgeons 2008
- BSc(Hons) University of London 1991
Reference number 4277233
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Chairman of the Inflammatory Bowel Disease Subcommittee f Association of Coloproctology for Great Britain and Ireland 2014
- Chairman of the National Ileal Pouch Registry Association of Coloproctology for Great Britain and Ireland 2014
- Surgical Representative Inflammatory Bowel Disease Standards Group 2014
- Surgical Representative National IBD Audit Royal College of Physicians 2014
- Member for the Scientific Advisory Committee National Cancer Intelligence Network (Public Health England) 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Surgery , 2008
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons
Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
Royal Society of Medicine
St Mark's Association
European Crohn's and Colitis Organisation (ECCO)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Postoperative patients will be given my personal mobile telephone number.