- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional is currently treating patients. Please speak to them to find out more about their availability.
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
- Brain tumours
I studied Medicine at St George’s Hospital Medical School, affiliated to the University of London, graduating in January 1997 with MB BS (Lond). Subsequently, my postgraduate training in surgery was completed in South-West London, with Basic Surgical Training posts including General Surgery, Vascular Surgery, ENT surgery, Orthopaedic surgery and Neurosurgery. I completed the MRCS (England) in 2000.
My Neurosurgery Registrar training was in Sheffield and Hull, after having also worked in Hurstwood Park Neurological Centre, Haywards Heath, (initially Locum Registrar then Trust Grade Registrar).
I further supplemented my training with a period as Visiting Fellow in Paediatric Neurosurgery at the Hôpital Necker - Enfants Malades, Paris, France (Summer 2008), and then as the National Fellow in Paediatric Neurosurgery at Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Liverpool, from October 2008 to February 2010.
In February 2010 I moved to Leeds as Consultant Neurosurgeon (initially locum then substantive from August 2010). In this post I have particular specialist interests in paediatric neurosurgery and adult neuro-oncology.
Within paediatric neurosurgery, I am the Lead for spasticity management neurosurgical procedures and have successfully brought Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy (SDR) to Leeds. My Specialist Interests in Paediatric Neurosurgery include: Spasticity Management (Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy & Intrathecal Baclofen), Neuro-oncology, Epilepsy, Complex Hydrocephalus Neuro-endoscopy, Trauma.
Within my adult neuro-oncology portfolio, I jointly lead the Low Grade Glioma service and regularly perform Awake Craniotomies for resection of these tumours. My Specialist Interests in adult neurosurgery include: Neuro-oncology (particularly Low Grade Glioma surgery & awake craniotomy), Complex Hydrocephalus, Neuro-endoscopy, Trauma.
I am the Joint Clinical Leed for the North East Paediatric Neuroscience Network (NEPNN).
In 2010 I was appointed to the SIOP-Europe Brain Tumour Group, and am now the Neurosurgical Lead for the Low Grade Glioma panel. I served on the CRG for Brain & CNS Tumours from 2013-2016 and the Paediatric Neuroscience CRG from 2015-2016. I am now a Specialist Neurosurgery Advisor for NICE.
I am also on the Steering Group for the NHS England Commissioning through Evaluation process for Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy.
Areas of interest
Neurological oncology; Neuroendoscopy; Hydrocephalus; Adult cranial neurosurgery (not spinal surgery); Paediatric Spasticity Surgery; Paediatric Neurosurgery;
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Neurosurgeon (Adult & Paediatric), Leeds General Infirmary
Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Leeds
Honorary Consultant Neurosurgeon, Hull Royal Infirmary
Joint Clinical Lead for North East Paediatric Neuroscience Network (NEPNN)
Specialist Neurosurgery Advisor for NICE
Steering Group for CtE for Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy
SIOP-Europe Brain Tumour Group Member & Neurosurgery Lead for Low Grade Glioma Panel
Brain & CNS Tumour CRG 2013-16
Paediatric Neuroscience CRG 2015-16
Neuro-oncology, Neurosurgical Spasticity Procedures, Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy, Hydrocephalus
(Additional) Languages spoken
1. Pre-surgical mapping of eloquent cortex for paediatric epilepsy surgery candidates: Evidence from a review of advanced functional neuroimaging. Seizure:2017
2. Survey on current cognitive practices within the European Low-Grade Glioma Network: towards a European assessment protocol. Acta Neurochir 12:896,2017
3. Evidenced-based medicine in glioma: molecular biology is only part of the story. (Letter). Lancet Oncol 18:e429, 2017
4. A proposal for a new classification of complications in craniosynostosis surgery. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2017 Jun;19(6):675-683
5. Survey on current practice within the European Low-Grade Glioma Network: where do we stand and what is the next step? Neuro-Oncology Practice:npw031–7, 2017
6. Letter to the Editor: WhatsAPP in neurosurgery. Acta Neurochir:1–1, 2017
7. BOOK CHAPTER: Optic Pathway Hypothalamic Gliomas. Chapter 207 in Youman’s Neurological Surgery 7e, pp 1660-1668, ISBN 9780323287821; 2016
8. Monitoring the changing pattern of delivery of paediatric epilepsy surgery in England-an audit of a regional service and examination of national trends. Childs Nerv Syst:2015
9. A suprasellar arachnoid cyst resulting from an intraventricular haemorrhage and showing complete resolution following endoscopic fenestration. BMJ Case Rep 2015:2015
10. Does patient ethnicity affect site of craniosynostosis? J Neurosurg Pediatr 14:682–687, 2014
11. Fingerprint changes in CSF composition associated with different aetiologies in human neonatal hydrocephalus: inflammatory cytokines. Childs Nerv Syst:2014
12. The Role of Surgery in Optic Pathway-Hypothalamic Gliomas in Children. J Neurosurg Pediatr 2014;13:1–12
13. Fingerprint changes in CSF composition associated with different aetiologies in human neonatal hydrocephalus: glial proteins associated with cell damage and loss. Fluids Barriers CNS 2013;10(1):34-46
14. Evolving instrumentation for endoscopic tumour removal of CNS tumours. Acta Neurochir (Wien) 2013;155(1):135-138
15. Impact of Electromagnetic Navigated Shunt Placement on Failure Rates: A Prospective Multi-centre Study. J Neurosurg 2010 Dec;113(6):1273-1278
16. Forniceal Glioma in Children. J Neurosurg Pediatrics 2009 Sept;4(3):249-253
17. Neonatal ruptured intracranial aneurysms: Case report & literature review. Childs Nerv Syst 2009;25:1025-1033
18. Care of Children with Brain & Spine Tumours – a review of practice. Brit J Neurosurg 2009, 23(3):270-275
Truncated for word-limit
Reference number 4364803
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Surgeons of England – Fellow
Society of British Neurological Surgeons – Full Member
British Paediatric Neurosurgery Group – Full Member
International Society of Paediatric Neurosurgery (ISPN) – Full Member
European Society of Paediatric Neurosurgery (ESPN) – Full Member
Society for Neuro-Oncology (SNO) – Full Member
European Association of Neuro-Oncology – Full Member
British Neuro-Oncology Group – Full Member
BMA; MDDUS; Christian Medical Fellowship (Neuros
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Via switchboard at Nuffield Leeds Hospital