- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Dr Ernest Wong joined Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust as a Consultant Rheumatologist in August 2009 having trained in the Rheumatology Centres of Excellence, Norwich, Bath and Oxford.
Dr Ernest Wong is passionate about delivering a high level of patient care and promoting patient safety. He is also a Patient Safety Fellow for the South of England Strategic Health Authority in 2011. He has successfully piloted the Immunosuppressant Monitoring Patient Safety Project within the Rheumatology department at Queen Alexandra Hospital, Portsmouth. The piloted results were presented at the National Patient Safety Conference in November 2011 and shared internationally at the Institute of Healthcare Improvement conference in Orlando December 2011 on behalf of South Central SHA.
As a strong advocate for the use of ultrasound in Rheumatology, he co founded the South Central Rheumatology Ultrasound(US) network in 2010. He has been the chair for this popular quarterly US peer review network since 2011. He is also visiting ultrasound tutor nationally. Dr Ernest Wong has chaired and hosted both regional and national Advanced Ultrasound in Inflammatory Arthritis Clinical Perceptorships with invited international Rheumatology sonography experts.
As a fellow of the National Leadership Council, he was invited to Westminster as part of the “Listening Exercise” to advise Secretary of Heath, Rt. Hon. Andrew Lansley, in May 2011.
In 2013 Dr Wong was presented the Fellowship of Royal College of Physician for his passion in delivering quality improvement projects.
In 2018 Dr Ernest Wong is chief investigator for 3 clinical trials and principal investigator for 5. He is also sub PI for several more. His main research interests are Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Giant cell arteritis and Rheumatology ultrasound.
In November 2016 Dr. Ernest Wong and colleagues from Portsmouth Hospital NHS Trust received National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society Healthcare Champion Award from Prime Minister Theresa May in Westminster. They received this award for the second time for delivering care that is above and beyond call of duty.
Areas of interest
Ultrasound in undifferentiated arthritis; Early Rheumatoid arthritis;Osteoarthritis; Gout; Fibromyalgia; Osteoporosis; Vasculitis, Sports medicine; Akylosing spondylosis; Psoriatic arthritis;Giant cell arteritis; Polymylgia Rheumatica
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Rheumatologist, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust at Queen Alexandra Hospital
- Ultrasound in early inflammtaory arthritis
- Ultrasound in Giant Cell Arteritis
- Chief investigator and principal investigator in clinical trials involving Biologics in inflammatory arthritis including anti TNF inhibitors, Janus Kinase, Bruton Tyrosine Kinase etc
- Developing IT projects including telemedicine and self management patient portal
Dr Ernest Wong enjoys getting out and about with his wife and 2 boys in the south coast. He is a keen sportsman and maintains a competitive level in all racket sports. He also speaks mandarin fluently and trained in Chinese calligraphy.
Courses offered to GPs
- Rheumatology update in Biologics and DMARDs
- Ultrasound in early detection of inflammatory arthritis
- Gout and Pseudogout
- Giant Cell Arteritis and Polymyalgia Rheumatica
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Psoriatic arthritis
- Patient focused care
- MB BCh BAO BMedSci University College cork 1997
- MSc in Sports Medicine University College London 2008
- Fellow of Royal College Physician Royal College of Physician London 2013
Reference number 5195731
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- South Central Peer review lead British Society for Rheumatology 2016
- BSR Ultrasound SIG committee member British Society for Rheumatology 2017
- Founding member of FMLM Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- Rheumatology and General Internal Medicine, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
- Spire Portsmouth Hospital
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 07894 017529
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.