- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Parkside Private Suite Frimley .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Surgical retinal
Areas of interest
Micro Incision Cataract surgery; Complicated/Complex Cataract Surgery; Diabetic retinopathy; Retinal disease; Floaters; Vitrectomy; Retinal Detachment; Retinal surgery; Trauma; Macular surgery; Macular Hole; Epiretinal Membrane; Macular Degeneration; Diabetes
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Katherine Brand Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist and Vitreoretinal Surgeon
St. Thomas' Hospital
Frimley Park Hospital
Lead in Undergraduate Teaching: Kings College London
Honorary Senior Lecturer, Kings College London Medical School
Novel technique in closing large macular hole
Ultrastructural imaging of vitreous and retinal disease
Travelling, teaching, surfing, motorcycling, golf
Kings College London Teaching Award 2018
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Chinese - Native or bilingual
- Japanese - Native or bilingual
1. Neffendorf J, Kumaran N, Sadinha T, Wong R, Wlliamson T. Safety of intracameral cefuroxime in pars plana vitrectomy. EYE 2021
2. Kumaran N, Dell’Aversana G, Williamson TH, Laidlaw DAH, Wong R. Management of retinal detachment during COVID-19 pandemic. Eye 2021
3. Kumaran N, Sekhawat V, Mahadeva U, Green A, Douthwaite S, Wong R. Absence of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) in ocular post-mortem studies. 2021
4. Dell’Aversana G, Kumaran N, Tan SZ, Wong R. Outcomes following secondary lens implant: a comparison study [SUBMITTED]
5. *Wong R, Bannerjee P, Kumaran N. Part 2: Model Eye Simu lation: Aerosol generating procedure in intraocular surgery. Eye 2020 15 Jun [EPUB ahead of print]
6. *Wong R, Bannerjee P, Kumaran N. Aerosol generating procedures in intraocular surgery. EYE 2020 [Accepted]
7. Tan SZ, Robins JJ, Wong R. Delamination Plus: A technique to reduce immediate postoperative diabetic cavity hemorrhage. Retina 2020 May 13 [EPUB ahead of print]
8. Berton M, Robins J, Frigo AC, Wong R. Rate of progression of idiopathic full-thickness macular holes before surgery. Eye 2019 Nov 4; https://doi.org/10.1038/s41433-019-0654-1
9. Ho J, Williamson TH, Wong R, Laidlaw DAH. Beneficial visual outcome of vitrectomy and delamination surgery for tractional complication sof diabetic retinopathy in a cohort of black patients. Eye (lond) 2019 Dec; 33 (12):1884-1889.
10. Petrarca R, Soare C, Wong R et al. Intravitreal ranibizumab for persistent vitreous haemorrhage: a randomized double-masked placebo controlled feasibility study. Acta Ophthalmol 2019 Nov Epub.
11. Dellaversana G, Tan SZ, Robins J, Wong R. Cystoid macular oedema following macular hole repair surgery using SF6 vs C3F8 gas. EC Ophthalmology 2019. 10.8: 638-643.
12. Fajgenbaum MAP, Wong R, Laidlaw et al. Vitreoretinal surgery on the fellow eye: A retrospective analysis of
surgical data from a tertiary referral centre in England. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2018; 66(5): 681-6.
13. Fajgenbaum MAP, Neffendorf JE, Wong R, et al. Intraoperative and postoperative complications in phacovitrectomy for epiretinal membrane and macular hole: a clinical audit of 1000 consecutive eyes. Retina 2018; 38(9)1865-1872
14. *Wong R, Dellaversana G, Howard C. R.E.T.M.A. (Retina Expansion Technique for Macular Hole Apposition) Report 2: Efficacy, closure rate, and risks of a technique to close large full thickness macular holes. Retina 2017; 38(4)1.
Courses offered to GPs
VR in a Day: invited speaker
TRENDS in Ophthalmology: invited speaker/chairperson
Thessaloniki Vitreoretinal Surgery Course: instructor
GP talks: Floaters and Flashes, Retina Masterclass, Macular Surgery
retinal detachment success: 92%
macular hole closure: <400 microns 100%
- MBBS St George's Hospital Medical School, Univ of London 1999
- BA (Neurobiology) University of California, Berkeley 1994
- Executive MBA (Merit) University of Westminster, London 2014
- Fellowship Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2009
Reference number 4638795
Details of entry to specialist register
- Ophthalmology, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
British and Eire Vitreoretinal Society
American Academy of Ophthalmologists
International Council of Ophthalmologists
European Vitreoretinal Society
- Frimley Park Hospital, GU16 7UJ
- 08:30 - 19:00
- 020 3005 4545
- London Clinic, W1G 6BW
- 17:30 - 19:30
- 020 3005 4545
- St Thomas' Hospital, SE1 7EH
- 08:30 - 19:00
- 020 3005 4545
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
020 300 54545