- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Experienced Ophthalmologist having worked in the field of Clinical Ophthalmology sine 1992 with an interest in Cataract Surgery and Cornea and external eye diseases including dry eyes, eyelid disorders, corneal surgery and medical management of glaucoma and all other aspects of
Areas of interest
Corneal surgery / disease; Cataract surgery, Eye lid disorders, Incisional corneal and lens based refractive surgery, General Ophthalmology, medical management of Glaucoma, Dry Eyes
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmologist, Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Editor - Ophthalmopaedia, Member Education committee & Chair of e-learning subcommittee, Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Previous Appointments include:
National Lead Clinician for Ophthalmology, Health Education England (e-learning for healthcare)
President, North of England Ophthalmological Society,
Has authored numerous peer reviewed scientific publications covering different areas in Ophthalmology and is currently Editor of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists online encyclopaedia - Ophthalmopaedia.
Travel, Spending time with family.
President, North of England Ophthalmological Society, 2015-2016
Editor - Ophthalmopaedia, Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2008-to date.
Certificate of Merit in Ophthalmology in the Final M.B., B.S. Examination.
Yorkshire & Humberside Strategic Health authority grant for the full university fees for Masters Degree in Clinical Education 2005.
Twice winner of the PJ Hay Prize for the Best Paper in 2006 & 2008 from the North of England Ophthalmological Society.
1. Mentoring for Doctors. Do its advantages outweigh its disadvantages. Medical Teacher 2008; 30 (4), 434 – 436
2. Fascicular keratitis in children. Can corneal Phlycten be mobile? Clin Experiment Ophthalmol. 2005 Oct 33(5): 531-2.
3.Comparative Study of the Subjective and Objective Grading of Blepharoptosis Surgery Outcomes. Eye 2007; 21, 639–6422.
4. Ocular Alkali Injuries- An Overview. Eye News April 2007 issue.
5. Ultrasound biomicroscopy: "fisherman’s tale". British Journal of Ophthalmology, Dec 2002; 86: 1445.
6. Protection of the Iris by Lamellar Dissection of Corneal layers-A Technique in penetrating keratoplasty. Cornea 1994,13:16-19.
7. Surgical revision of leaking filtering blebs with an autologous conjunctival graft. British Journal of Ophthalmology, June 2002; 86: 615 & online at BJO website.
8. Anterior synechiolysis after keratoplasty. Ophthalmic Surgery. 1995;26(3):264-266
9. Frosted-iris Intraocular lens for Aniridia with cataract. Ophthalmic Surgery. 1994; 25(10):730-731.
10. Use of the combined recession and resection of a rectus muscle procedure in the management of incomitant strabismus. J AAPOS 2007;11(2):131-134.
11. Exudative Retinal Detachment following Deep Sclerectomy in Sturge-Weber Syndrome. Eye 2007;21: 842-843
12. Surgical excision of periocular Basal Cell carcinomas. Indian J Ophthalmol 2007;5:137-8.
13. E-Learning: an evaluation of its potential role in postgraduate Ophthalmology education and training. Eye News July 2006 issue.
14. E-Learning in postgraduate Medical education and training. Urology News Jan 2007 issue.
15.Scleral Perforations in strabismus surgery; Incidence and role of prophylactic cryo – A clinical cum experimental study. Strabismus. 2004; 12 (1) 17-26.
16. Silicone Oil Endotamponade- is it safe? Eye. 2004; 18, 649 – 650.
17. Sturge-Weber Syndrome with Ipsilateral Unilateral R.P.: a previously undescribed association. Neuro-Ophthalmology. 2004; 28 (3): 82.
18. Possible concurrent ipsilateral Bell’s palsy with Adie’s syndrome. Saudi Journal of Ophthalmology 2002;16(1):18-20
19. Topical Pefloxacin in Bacterial Keratitis, Proceedings of the International Society for Eye Research. 1994 Vol. VIII p.33.
Courses offered to GPs
I have a keen interest in the field of medical education including scientific talks to GPs on Ophthalmology
Mortality rates for surgery. 0%
readmission rate <0.5%
post op infection rate <0.01%
- FEBOphth European Board of Ophthalmology 2006
- FRCOphth Royal College Of Ophthalmologists 2005
- FRCSEd Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1998
- Master of Education (Clinical Education) University of Leeds 2009
- Fellowship in Cornea and External Eye disease St James University Hospital Leeds 2005
- Fellowship in Cornea and External Eye disease Bristol Eye Hospital 2006
Reference number 4734536
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- President North of England Ophthalmological Society 2016
- Member Education committee Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2016
- Chair of e-learning subcommittee Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2016
- Editor - Ophthalmopaedia Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2016
- National Lead Clinician for Ophthalmology (e-learning for healthcare) Health Education England 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Medical Council, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK.
Fellow, European Board of Ophthalmology.
Member of the governing Council, North of England Ophthalmological Society
Life member, All India Ophthalmological Society.
Life member, Delhi Ophthalmological Society.
Member, Medical Defence Union.
Member, British Medical Association.
Life member, National Academy of Medical Sciences, India.
- Fulwood Hall Hospital Midgery Lane Fulwood...
- 18:00 - 19:00
- 01772 704111
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details