- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
I am a consultant cardiac surgeon and main interests are:
• Adult cardiac surgery
• Research and Innovation
Education and training:
I qualified in pharmacology with basic medical science at University College London (UCL) in 1994. I continued my medical training at UCL, University of London, and was awarded Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery in 1996.
I started specialising in cardiothoracic surgery in 2001 when I took up the post of research fellow in cardiothoracic surgery at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio. I undertook research towards my thesis. In 2004, I returned to the UK as a specialist registrar and in 2009 I became a consultant in cardiac surgery at University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust.
I joined the Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust in early 2016, working at Harefield Hospital.
I am also an Honorary Associate Clinical Professor at Warwick Medical School.
My clinical expertise include,
• reparative valvular surgery of mitral valve, aortic valve and tricuspid valve
• surgery of the major aorta from the aortic root, ascending aorta, aortic arch and thoracic descending aorta
• coronary artery bypass grafting (on and off pump) with interest in total arterial revascularization
• minimal access surgery
• atrial fibrillation surgery
My research interests include team working, human factors and cardiac modeling. I have been co-investigator in a phase II clinical trial investigating red blood cell washing and acute kidney injury in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. I was the principal investigator in two portfolio studies funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) covering the effect of remote ischaemic preconditioning on clinical outcomes in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting and the impact of two blood transfusion threshold levels following cardiac surgery.
I became a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons in 2000 and a Fellow in 2009. I was awarded Doctor of Medicine from the University of London in 2009.
I was the cardiovascular module leader for Warwick Medical School Undergraduate Course and in 2013 was appointed as the block leader for the heart, lung and blood block. Thiese are my other Education roles,
• Society for Cardiothoracic Surgeons Cardiac Clinical Tutor
• Educational Supervisor for Cardiothoracic Trainees at Harefield Hospital
• an assigned educational supervisor and sat on the annual review of the Competence Progression Committee of West Midlands Cardiothoracic Surgery rotation
• Faculty member of Harefield Cardiothoracic Course
• Co-organiser of Cadaver Aorta Course
• designated medical supervisor of advanced nurse practitioners undertaking independent and supplementary prescribing courses
Areas of interest
Mr Bhudia is a cardiac surgeon with clinical expertise in:
Reparative valvular surgery of mitral valve, aortic valve and tricuspid valve; surgery of the major aorta from the aortic root, ascending aorta, aortic arch and thoracic descending aorta; coronary artery bypass grafting (on and off pump) with interest in total arterial revascularization; minimal access surgery; atrial fibrillation surgery
Reference number 4316068
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.