- Fee assured
- Verified this account
In April 2017 Mr McGonigle returned to his native Belfast after leading the thoracic surgery and lung cancer services at the Internationally renowned Harefield Hospital, London for over 5 years. He is currently, chair of the Clinical Reference Group for NICaN which is responsible for guiding the management of patients with lung cancer in Northern Ireland. His special interest is in minimally invasive surgery ('Keyhole') with over 60% of cancer surgeries being performed by this technique. He is a strong advocate of reducing hospital stays for patients and enhancing the experience of patients undergoing cancer care.
Areas of interest
'Keyhole Surgery' (VATS) for the treatment of lung cancers and secondary cancers in the lung. I also perform surgery for pleural effusion almost always by minimally invasive technique. Surgical procedures to treat and prevent pneumothorax 'collapsed lung'; Surgery for chest wall deformities (pectus carinatum and pectus excavatum); Surgery for the control of excessive sweating (hyperhydrosis) and facial blushing - 'keyhole' sympathectomy.
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Thoracic Surgeon
Chair Clinical Reference Group NICAN (Lung Cancer)
Consultant Thoracic Surgeon
Lead for Thoracic Surgery at Harefield Hospital
Chair for Lung Cancer at Harefield Hospital
Surgical Tutor (Royal College of Surgeons)
Training Programme Director for Core Surgery(Imperial)
- Inflammatory response to surgery and the immunobiological effects.
- Treatment for lung cancer (surgical and non-surgical).
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery (VATS)
- Reducing hospital stay and enhancing the experience of patients.
- Correction of chest wall deformities
Royal Victoria Hospital Fellowship
Fellow of The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (Cardiothoracic)
Postgraduate Doctor of Medicine(MD)
Courses offered to GPs
I organise courses to train surgeons in thoracic surgery and also GP study days in lung related diseases.
I am actively involved in the training of junior surgeons
Operative Mortality in last 3 years <1%.
60% of lung cancer operations are performed by 'keyhole' surgery reducing post-operative stay and pain.
What patients say about Mr McGonigle:
- 'A wonderful doctor, makes me feel at ease. Thank You'
-'..a lovely man, very pleasant and a sense of humour'
-'Mr McGonigle did an excellent job on me (operation). He is to be thoroughly recommended in everyway. Polite, professional and caring..'
- Primary Medical Degree- MB BCh BAO The Queen's University of Belfast 1999
- Member Royal College of Surgeons- MRCSI The royal College of Surgeons in Ireland 2002
- Postgraduate Doctor of Medicine- MD The Queen's University of Belfast 2010
- Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland; Cardiothoracic Surgery- FRCS(C-Th) The Royal College of Surgeons 2011
- Thoracic Surgery Fellowship St. James Hospital, Dublin 2010
- Thoracic Surgery Fellowship Nottingham City Hospital 2011
Reference number 4636614
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- PLAB Examiner General medical Council 2015
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, 2011
Affiliations / memberships
British Thoracic Oncology Group (BTOG)
The Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery of Great Britian and Ireland (SCTS)
British Medical Association (BMA)
Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management (FMLM)
International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC)
Northern Ireland Cancer Network (NICaN)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
During normal office hours - 02890632027
Outside normal office hours -07411663647