- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Open Referral network
- Behavioural Activation (BA)
- CBT with Exposure and Response Prevention (CBT with ERP)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Mindfulness based CBT
- Trauma focused CBT
- Video and telephone consultations
I have over twenty-five years of experience working as a therapist in residential and outpatient settings, working with a wide variety of presenting issues. I particularly specialise in working with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and complex PTSD/developmental/attachment based trauma and dissociation, but I also have many years of experience of working with depression, low self-esteem, and anxiety related issues.
I began my first therapeutic training 27 years ago in London where I was based at the time.
I spent eight years working within a Rape Crisis Centre. This began as a volunteer placement as part of my therapeutic training. This placement progressed to an employed position and in my last year I was the Rape Crisis centre manager. Within the centre I offered face to face and helpline counselling. I co-wrote and delivered a training package for prospective volunteers and engaged in a lot of media related and consultancy work to both external agencies and media related organisations. During my time working within Rape Crisis and for a while afterwards I was part of an advisory body to the Metropolitan Police (based at New Scotland Yard) on Rape and Sexual Assaults. This was primarily focussed on improving the treatment and services for victims of these crimes. As part of my rape crisis work, I also supervised volunteers within the charity I was working within as well as volunteers who were working for a local Domestic Violence charity. I also sat for many years on the local (to the Rape Crisis Centre) council Domestic Violence forum.
After my time with Rape Crisis, I worked within the NHS as project co-ordinator for a pilot project to both raise awareness of domestic violence, and to introduce routine screening for domestic violence into A & E and Maternity Departments. As part of this work, I delivered comprehensive training in awareness of domestic violence and its effects to medical and nursing staff.
I also worked within Canterbury Christchurch University as a senior lecturer as part of their Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) programme as well as being lead examiner and clinical supervisor to students on the IAPT training course within Canterbury Christchurch University.
I now run a busy private practice in the South East of England and online.
Areas of interest
Individual therapy; Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD); Depression; Eating disorders; Bereavement; Anxiety disorders; Major trauma; Dissociation; Self-harm; Developmental Trauma/Complex PTSD
- Donna Tolhurst
- Internal Family Systems UK Level 1 Sheffield 2020
- Mindfulness Teacher Training for Individual & Groups London Maggie Stanton 2018
- Specialist EMDR Disaster Protocol Training for Pilot Work with NHS in regard to London & Manchester Terriorist Attacks & Grenfell Fire Trauma Aid London 2017 2017
- Life Span Integration Therapy, Levels 1, 2 & 3 Mandy Roland, Crawley 2017
- Comprehensive Resource Model Lisa Schwarz London 2017
- Post Graduate Diploma (with merit) in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Canterbury & Christchurch University 2008
- Fully Qualified Practitioner in EMDR EMDR Institute Inc 2006
- Certificate in Multi-Cultural Counselling for Women & Girls Who Have Experienced Violence Women & Girls' Network Credited by London Open College Network 2003
- Training for Duluth Minnesota Model in Working with Survivors and Perpetrators of Domestic Violence Duluth Minnesota 2000
- Volunteer Training with Addaction (Drug & Alcohol Agency) Addaction Brighton 1999
- Cerrificate in Telephone Helpine Counselling for Survivors of Rape and/or childhood sexual abuse Rape & Sexual Abuse Centre 1999
- Volunteer Training with Childholine Childline London HQ 1997
- Certificate in face to face counselling for survivors of rape and/or sexual abuse Rape & Sexual Abuse Support Centre 1995
- Diploma Humnanistic Abuse Support Centre Humanistic Abuse Support Centre 1995
- Certtificate in Transpersonal Perspectives in Counselling Centre for Transpersonal Psychology 1995
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Addredited BACP 2011
- Accredited BABCP 2011
Affiliations / memberships
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.