- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Substance misuse psychiatry
I am a warm and approachable doctor with many years experience in the NHS. I trained at Edinburgh University and the Maudsley Hospital, London, and I now work in Oxford and Buckinghamshire.
I use a personalised approach, working in a holistic way with a focus on the overall wellbeing of the individual.
I use both pharmacological and psychological approaches, with a strong acknowledgement of the social context that surrounds the individual.
I work with a range of psychological and psychiatric disorders including anxiety disorders, social anxiety, psychosis, bipolar disorder, personality disorder, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). I have particular expertise in the assessment and management of addiction to substances, particularly alcohol, and including prescribed opioids and benzodiazepines, as well as illicit substances.
I also have a special interest and expertise in the assessment and management of co-occurring mental disorder and substance misuse (dual diagnosis).
I have carried out research into schizophrenia for my PhD and have also run research studies involving neuroimaging (brain scanning) to investigate the neurobiology of addiction.
Areas of interest
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD);
Bipolar Affective Disorder;
Co-occurring addiction and mental health problems (dual diagnosis)
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Pain management
Current NHS consultant posts held
Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
High Wycombe Bucks
The role of dopamine in schizophrenia
Neuroimaging in addiction
Psychological treatments in addictions
Grants to fund degrees :
Wellcome Trust maths-bio PhD studentship
ESRC MSc studentship
Courses offered to GPs
Management of alcohol disorders
Managing pain in opioid addiction
Dual Diagnosis (Co-morbid mental disorder and substance misuse.
- MBChB medicine Edinburgh University 1991
- MSc cognitive science Edinburgh University 1993
- PhD cognitive science (dopamine and schizophrenia) Edinburgh University 2002
- Psychiatry Maudsley, Institute of Psychiatry 2006
- Cognitive Analytic Therapy (practitioner) St Thomas Hospital practitioners course 2009
Reference number 3561159
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- College Tutor Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust 2014
- Regional representative for addiction (Oxford) Royal College of Psychiatrists 2010
- Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer in Addiction Psychiatry University of Oxford 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- General adult psychiatry , 2006
- Endorsement: substance misuse psychiatry , 2006
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Psychiatrists
British Association of Psychopharmacology
Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapy (UKCP affiliated)
- Wooburn Green, Bucks
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 0870 162 0673
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details