- Not Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
I am a consultant in Chemical pathology and treat patients with hyperlipidaemia. I work with colleagues who treat patients with diabetes HIV and glycogen storage disease where lipid disorders are common.
I am past chair of HEART UK; "The cholesterol charity" and a trustee of HEART UK.
I work collaboratively with other specialties to use chemical tests to montior disease
Areas of interest
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Chemical Pathologist
Director of Pathology
Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham
Management of Hyperlipidaemia
Collaborative research with other specialties.
1. Manavi K, Dhasmana D, Cramb R. Prevalence of hepatitis in early syphilis among an HIV cohort. International Journal of STD & AIDS. 2012;23(8):e4-6
2. Armstrong MJ, Houlihan DD, Bentham L, et al Presence and severity of non alcoholic fatty liver disease in a large prospective primary care cohort. Journal of Hepatology. 2012;56(1):234-40
3. Cramb R. Use less sugar to diagnose diabetes? Transplantation. 2009; 88(3):301-2
4. Hadfield SG, Horara S, Starr BJ, et al. Family tracing to identify patients with familial hypercholesterolaemia: the second audit of the Department of Health Familial Hypercholesterolaemia Cascade Testing Project. Steering Group for the Department of Health Familial Hypercholesterolaemia Cascade Testing Audit Project. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry. 2009; 46(Pt 1):24-32
5. Cramb R. French J. Mackness M. Neely RD. Caslake M. MacKenzie F.Lipid external quality assessment: commutability between external quality assessment and clinical specimens. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry. 2008;45(Pt 3):260 5
6. Pagano D, Howell NJ, Freemantle N, et al. Bleeding in cardiac surgery: the use of aprotinin does not affect survival. Journal of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery. 2008;135(3):495-502
7. Hadfield SG, Horara S, Starr BJ, et al. Are patients with familial hypercholesterolaemia well managed in lipid clinics? An audit of eleven clinics from the Department of Health Familial Hypercholesterolaemia Cascade Testing project. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry. 2008;45(Pt 2):199-205.
8. Geberhiwot T, Alger S, McKiernan P, et al. Serum lipid and lipoprotein profile of patients with glycogen storage disease types I, III and IX. Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease. 2007;30(3):406.
- M.B. Ch.B. University of Edinburgh 1978
- M.Sc. Clinical Biochemistry University of Surrey 1984
- MRCPath Royal College of Pathologists 1987
Reference number 2334910
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- FRCPath Royal College of Pathologists 1995
Details of entry to specialist register
- Chemical Pathology, 1996
Affiliations / memberships
British Medical Association
Association for Clinical Biochemistry
European Atherosclerosis Society
American Association of Clinical Chemistry
- BMI The Priory Hospital, B5 7UG
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 0121 446 1636
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr R Cramb
Mobile 07973 186 206