- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Breast surgery
I am a Consultant breast surgeon with a clinical practice specifically focused on breast disease and management. I have 20 years experience as a doctor and my NHS practice is based at University Hospital Southampton. I consult privately at Spire Hospital Southampton and the Wessex Nuffield Hospital. My research into breast disease is based at the University of Southampton where I am an Associate Professor in breast surgery.
Areas of interest
- Marlene Benham
- Spire Southampton Hospital Chalybeate Close SOUTHAMPTON SO16 6UY
- 023 8076 4971
- 023 8076 4358
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
- University of Southampton Webpage
- University Hospital Southampton Webpage
- Personal Practice Website
- Spire Southampton Webpage
- Wessex Nuffield Webpage
Current NHS consultant posts held
Associate Professor in Breast Surgery to University of Southampton
Consultant in Breast Surgery to University Hospital Southampton
I am actively involved in translation and clinical breast cancer research.
Details of current projects and clinical trials can be found on my University of Southampton Webpage (please see external links).
Radcliffe Infirmary Prize for Surgery – University of Oxford
Hamilton Fairley Prize – British Association for Cancer Research
Alan Edwards Prize - British Association of Surgical Oncology
Comment on breast surgery for the BBC News on behalf of Cancer Research UK
Over 45 peer reviewed publications. Details are available on my University of Southampton Webpage (please see external links).
Courses offered to GPs
Talks offered on breast disease and breast cancer.
- Medical Degree: BM BCh University of Oxford 1994
- PhD University of Southampton 2003
Reference number 4119072
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Secretary; Academic and Research Committee Association of Breast Surgery 2016
Affiliations / memberships
• Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
• Association of Breast Surgery
• British Association of Surgical Oncology
• Association of Surgeons of Great Britain and Ireland
• British Association for Cancer Research
• British Medical Association
- Spire Southampton Hospital, SO16 6UY
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 023 8076 4971
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
For private patient urgent post treatment queries during working hours please contact my private secretary Marlene Benham on 023 8076 4971, or Spire Southampton Breast Care Nurse Specialist (023 8091 4454 or 023 8077 5544).
Outside working hours, in the first instance, please contact the ward where treatment took place via the Spire Southampton switchboard (023 8077 5544) or Wessex Nuffield switchboard (02380 986481), as appropriate.