- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Accredited endoscopist
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Accredited endoscopist
I am currently working as a full time Consultant Gastroenterologist at Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust in Manchester. Apart from my clinical role, I am the Clinical Lead for Endoscopy, responsible for ensuring the provision of a safe, efficient and high quality service for the patients across the four hospitals in the trust.
Before moving to Manchester, I have worked for 6 years as a Consultant Gastroenterologist at Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust where I had been the clinical Lead for Endoscopy and Gastroenterology. I lead several initiatives which resulted in service development at the trust including developing the GI bleed endoscopy oncall system, establishing the Bowel Scope screening at Warrington Hospital and developing a new endoscopy unit at Halton Hospital. I was also the training lead for GI Endoscopy for all the medical and colorectal endoscopist trainees. I developed various local pathways and protocols for management of Gastroenterology conditions which are still in use at Warrington Hospital.
Before taking on my consultant role, I trained for almost 10 years in the mersey region. During my specialist training I worked in most hospitals in the region and gained extremely valuable experience. I developed sub-specialty interest in conditions affecting the bowel, particularly inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), irritable bowel syndrome, reflux, upper gastrointestinal cancers and therapeutic endoscopy. I perform complex endoscopic therapies including removal of complex polyps, insertion of stents and management of GI bleeds.
Areas of interest
Bowel disease including inflammatory (IBD); Upper gastro-intestinal disease; Gastro-oesophageal reflux; Nutrition; Endoscopy - lower GI; Colitis; Liver disease; Luminal gastroenterology; Interventional endoscopy; Peptic ulcers; Endoscopy - therapeutic; Gastro-intestinal endoscopy; Jaundice
Current NHS consultant posts held
Clinical Lead Endoscopy
Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
Fairfield General Hospital
Rochdale Old Rd
1. Sub-Investigator GILEAD Study
A Longterm Extension Study to Evaluate the Safety of Filgotinib in Subjects with Crohns Disease
2. Sub-Investigator Etrolizumab in Crohns Disease Study (Bergamot)
Clinical Excellence Awards Level 2
1. Defining the endoscopic appearances of tylosis using conventional and narrow-band imaging: a case series
H. Smart, R. Kia, S. Subramanian, S. Khalid, F. Campbell, A. Ellis
(Endoscopy 2011; 43(8): 727-730 DOI: 10.1055/s-0030-1256338)
2. Use of ultrasound scan for diagnosis and monitoring of small bowel Crohn's disease
S Khalid, S Ramakrishnan, K Gopal
Gut 59:A120-A121 doi:10.1136/gut.2009.209007h
3. “Characteristics and management of hemochromatosis in a DGH” Accepted as an abstract for European Federation of Internal Medicine meeting (April 2009)
4. “Leave no stone unturned” A very interesting case of successful endoscopic management of Bouveret’s syndrome, Accepted as an abstract for European Federation of Internal Medicine meeting (April 2009).
5. Tylosis with oesophageal cancer: Characterizing the endoscopic appearance with magnification and narrow band imaging. H. Smart, R. Kia, S. Subramanian, S. Khalid, F. Campbell, A. Ellis GUT 2008;57 (Suppliment No 1: A129)
6. “Image of the month – Medical images library, Doctors.org.uk October 2007”
Submitted endoscopic images to medical images library at doctors.org.uk. These images were awarded as the best images of the month award for October 2007 and are available on the website.
7. An unusual case of facial swelling in a jaundiced patient
J. Gasem, S. Khalid, M. Babores Gut 2006;55:a1-a119
- MBBS Allama Iqbal Medical College 1998
- MRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians UK 2005
- FRCP (UK) Royal College of Physicians Edinburgh 2012
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Register Gasteroenterology, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
British Society of Gastroenterology
Royal college of Physicians Edinburgh
General Medical Council
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Dr Salahudin Khalid