- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
Mr Susmito Biswas is an ophthalmic surgeon with a specialist interest in adult cataract surgery and paediatric ophthalmology (childhood disorders of the eye). He received his general training in ophthalmology at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and fellowship training in paediatric eye diseases at Great Ormond Street Hospital and King's College Hospital, London. He was appointed consultant ophthalmologist at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital in 2002. The paediatric ophthalmology department at the Manchester Royal Eye Hospital is highly regarded both nationally and internationally for it's high quality care, excellent outcomes and teaching and training opportunities.
Areas of interest
Cataract surgery Adult and Paediatric; Paediatric Glaucoma; Paediatric ophthalmology; Paediatric Strabismus ('squint'); External Eye Diseases
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Manchester Royal Eye Hospital.
Corneal and external eye diseases, Cataract and Retinal diseases in childhood including retinopathy of prematurity.
5 Clinical Excellence Awards
Published over 40 peer reviewed articles. Ten of the most recent listed below:
1. Abrogation of HMX1 function causes rare oculo-auricular syndrome associated with congenital cataract, anterior segment dysgenesis & retinal dystrophy. Gillespie RL, Urquhart J, Lovell SC, Biswas S, Parry NR, Schorderet DF, Lloyd IC, Clayton-Smith J, Black GC. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015 Jan 8. pii: IOVS-14-15861.
2. Clinical and molecular genetic findings in autosomal dominant OPA3-related optic neuropathy. Sergouniotis PI, Perveen R, Thiselton DL, Giannopoulos K, Sarros M, Davies JR, Biswas S, Ansons AM, Ashworth JL, Lloyd IC, Black GC, Votruba M. Neurogenetics. 2015 Jan;16(1):69-75.
3. Personalized diagnosis and management of congenital cataract by next-generation sequencing. Gillespie RL, O'Sullivan J, Ashworth J, Bhaskar S, Williams S, Biswas S, Kehdi E, Ramsden SC, Clayton-Smith J, Black GC, Lloyd IC. Ophthalmology. 2014 Nov;121(11):2124-37.e1-2.
4. In vivo imaging of cortical vitreous using 1050-nm swept-source deep range imaging optical coherence tomography. Stanga PE, Sala-Puigdollers A, Caputo S, Jaberansari H, Cien M, Gray J, D'Souza Y, Charles SJ, Biswas S, Henson DB, McLeod D.
5. Anterior segment OCT imaging in mucopolysaccharidoses type I, II, and VI. Ahmed TY, Turnbull AM, Attridge NF, Biswas S, Lloyd IC, Au L, Ashworth JL. Eye (Lond). 2014 Mar;28(3):327-36.
6. Prolonged follow-up period following intravitreal bevacizumab injection for stage 3+ retinopathy of prematurity. de Klerk TA, Park DY, Biswas S. Eye (Lond). 2013 Oct;27(10):1218.
7. Does the timing of treatment affect the ocular phenotype in patients with Mucopolysaccharidosis I homozygous for the L490P mutation? Chan WH, Biswas S, Lloyd IC, Wraith E, Jones S, Mercer J, Ashworth JL. Eye (Lond). 2013 Sep;27(9):1112-4.
8. Severe vernal keratoconjunctivitis successfully treated with subcutaneous omalizumab. de Klerk TA, Sharma V, Arkwright PD, Biswas S. J AAPOS. 2013 Jun;17(3):305-6.
9. Toxic epidermal necrolysis in a 15-month-old girl successfully treated with amniotic membrane transplantation. Barua A, McKee HD, Barbara R, Carley F, Biswas S. J AAPOS. 2012 Oct;16(5):478-80.
10. Scleral contact lens management of bilateral exposure and neurotrophic keratopathy. Grey F, Carley F, Biswas S, Tromans C. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2012 Dec;35(6):288-91.
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmolgists 1996
- MB BS St Bartholomew's Hospital, University of London 1992
- BSc. Hons, Experimental Pharmacology, University of London, St Bartholomews Hospital 1989
- Fellowship Training in Paediatric Ophthalmology Great Ormond Street Hospital and King's College Hospital, London 2001
Reference number 3677076
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Ocular Tissue and Transplants Standards Group - Paediatric Representative Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- Grainne Graham, 2002
Affiliations / memberships
BIPOSA (British Isles Paediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus Association)
- BMI Alexandra Hospital
- 09:00 - 11:30
- 07729 077139
- Cheshire Eye Clinic
- 09:00 - 15:00
- 07729 077139
- Private Patient Centre, Manchester Royal Eye...
- 14:00 - 18:30
- 07729 077139
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details