- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 1 May 2020
- Short Term Psychodynamic Therapy
I qualified in 1986 as a psychoanalytic psychotherapist and have many years of experience in private practice and offering shorter-term counselling when necessary: my specialisation is the treatment of eating disorders and I usually see clients when they are in the bulimic phase of this disorder, but also when they restrict food only, or binge-eat.
I also work with all mental health or personal development issues and offer therapy for couples.
I have developed my own approach to eating disorder treatment and incorporated a focus on developmental issues and feminist perspectives with the understanding of personality disorder. Some clients may have additional issues with depression and alcohol and drug addiction.
I help the client to resolve issues that occurred in their early lives which may be developmental problems but also could be related to neglect and deprivation or abuse.
Working psychodynamically means that we confront in the present how these issues have left their mark, and continue to cause problems with self-image and the consequent effect of disturbed relationships, particularly with those closest to the client
My philosophical and ethical stance is that I focus on an individual's lived experience and away from the idea of pathology which may become restrictive from the point of view of self-image.
Areas of interest
• Major trauma • Bereavement • Adolescent mental health • Anxiety disorders • Depression • Eating disorders • Individual therapy • Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) • Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) • Relationship problems • Alcohol / drug dependency: couples therapy.
Specialist interests and expertise in the following physical conditions
- Eating disorders
The treatment of depression and eating disorders.
The Role of Body Image in Women's Mental Health, 2001, Feminist Review.
Courses offered to GPs
The early signs of a true eating disorder.
- Masters degree in the Psychology of Counselling and Therapy. Regent's College School of Psychotherapy. 1986
- Diploma in Psychotherapy The Institute of Psycotherapy and Social Studies. 1986
Details of entry to specialist register
- UKCP, 2017
- BACP register, 2017
Affiliations / memberships
Member of UKCP: The United KIngdom Council of Psychotherapy (psychoanalytic section) .
Member of BACP; The British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy.
- Hove Therapy Rooms, Hove, BN3 2BB
- 08:00 - 21:30
- 01273 205485
- The Westlake Clinic, 1 Harley Street, London...
- 17:30 - 21:30
- 01273 205485
- The Wilbury Clinic, 64 Wilbury Road, Hove, East...
- 08:00 - 21:00
- 01273 205485
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
Other ways of contacting me
I can be contacted directly using Skype. My Skype ID is: anne.cussins