- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Michael Stechman is a Consultant Endocrine and General Surgeon at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff. He trained in Oxford and is the current Secretary of the British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons. His interests are investigation and treatment of thyroid nodules, Graves' disease and thyroid cancer, hyperparathyroidism, and surgery of the adrenal gland. He is also a keen proponent of minimally invasive surgery for these and other disorders such as hernia and gallbladder disease. Aside from his clinical role, he is interested in medical education and clinical research in endocrine and emergency general surgery.
Areas of interest
Gall bladder; Adrenal surgery; Hernias, including inguinal hernia; Thyroid disorders / surgery; parathyroid surgery; thyroid nodules
- Katerina Vardulaki
- 120 Westbourne Road PENARTH CF64 3HH
- 029 2071 1580
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Olukorede Adekanye Fee Assured
- Dr Thabet M Shafik Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
University Hospital of Wales
Emergency general surgery
Minimally invasive surgery
Cricket and Rugby
Most recent publications
1. Prognostic model to predict postoperative acute kidney injury in patients undergoing major gastrointestinal surgery based on a national prospective observational cohort study.
BJS Open. 2018 Jul 27;2(6):400-410. doi: 10.1002/bjs5.86. eCollection 2018 Dec.
2. A practical risk scale for predicting morbidity and mortality in the emergency general surgical setting: A prospective multi-center study.
Ablett AD, McCarthy K, Carter B, Pearce L, Stechman M, Moug S, Ceelen W, Hewitt J, Myint PK; Older Persons Surgical Outcomes Collaboration.
Int J Surg. 2018 Dec;60:236-244. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2018.11.023. Epub 2018 Nov 24.
3.Cognitive impairment is associated with mortality in older adults in the emergency surgical setting: Findings from the Older Persons Surgical Outcomes Collaboration (OPSOC): A prospective cohort study.
Ablett AD, McCarthy K, Carter B, Pearce L, Stechman M, Moug S, Hewitt J, Myint PK; Older Persons Surgical Outcomes Collaboration.
Surgery. 2018 Nov 16. pii: S0039-6060(18)30725-6. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2018.10.013. [Epub ahead of print]
4.An N-Ethyl-N-Nitrosourea (ENU)-Induced Tyr265Stop Mutation of the DNA Polymerase Accessory Subunit Gamma 2 (Polg2) Is Associated With Renal Calcification in Mice.
Gorvin CM, Ahmad BN, Stechman MJ, Loh NY, Hough TA, Leo P, Marshall M, Sethi S, Bentley L, Piret SE, Reed A, Jeyabalan J, Christie PT, Wells S, Simon MM, Mallon AM, Schulz H, Huebner N, Brown MA, Cox RD, Brown SD, Thakker RV.
J Bone Miner Res. 2018 Nov 5. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.3624. [Epub ahead of print]
5.Prognostic Significance of Acute Kidney Injury Following Emergency Laparotomy: A Prospective Observational Cohort Study.
Dewi F, Egan RJ, Abdelrahman T, Morris C, Stechman MJ, Lewis WG.
World J Surg. 2018 Nov;42(11):3575-3580. doi: 10.1007/s00268-018-4744-1.
6. Association between peri-operative angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin-2 receptor blockers and acute kidney injury in major elective non-cardiac surgery: a multicentre, prospective cohort study.
Anaesthesia. 2018 Oct;73(10):1214-1222. doi: 10.1111/anae.14349. Epub 2018 Jul 9.
7.Body mass index and complications following major gastrointestinal surgery: a prospective, international cohort study and meta-analysis.
Colorectal Dis. 2018 Aug;20(8):O215-O225. doi: 10.1111/codi.14292. Epub 2018 Jul 9.
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://baets.e-dendrite.com/surgeon/aedaa8221b58ab8549ef8fc07fd94496/data#
- MBChB University of Birmingham 1994
- FRCS (Gen. Surg) Royal College of Surgeons Intercollegiate Examination Board 2008
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) University of Birmingham 2010
Reference number 4104867
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Secretary British Association of Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- License to Practice (General Surgery), 2009
Affiliations / memberships