- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I trained as a nephrologist and I am on the specialist register for Renal and General Internal Medicine.
I was appointed Consultant Physician and Nephrologist with an interest in undergraduate education at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in 2007. I have been in this role for 10 years now. in my NHS role I see patients with a wide variety of kidney problems. My subspecialty interest is kidney transplantation and I lead our transplant listing programme and see patients after transplantation.
I have a lead role in education and have been Associate Undergraduate Dean since 2011.
I also have a strong research background and obtained a lecturer degree in Medicine with a thesis on small-vessel vasculitis. I have published 150+publications on a variety of topics in Renal Medicine. I have contributed two chapters to Oxford Textbook of Clinical Nephrology. I am Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology (FASN) and Distinguished Fellow of the European Renal Association (FERA). I am Honorary Clinical Professor.
In my private practice I see patients with chronic kidney disease of all stages except those on dialysis or close to needing dialysis. I also see patients with difficult to control blood pressure or proteinuria (protein in the urine).
Areas of interest
Chronic Kidney Disease
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Nephrologist with an interest in undergraduate education at Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Associate Undergraduate Dean/Manchester University
All areas of nephrology, small vessel vasculitis, history of medicine
Category 6 regional clinical excellence award
Lancashire Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Quality Awards 2011, 2013 and 2016
150+ peer reviewed publications
Two chapters in Oxford Textbook of Clinical Nephrology
Courses offered to GPs
Regular talks to GPs on chronic kidney disease and hypertension
- Staatsexamen Luebeck University, Germany 1997
- MD Luebeck University, Germany 1997
- Privatdozent (German equivalent to Lecturer) Hannover Medical School, Germany 2007
- Honorary Clinical Professorship Hannover Medical School, Germany 2012
Reference number 6155756
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Fellow American Society of Nephrology 2006
- Fellow Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh 2009
- Fellow Royal College of Physicians of London 2011
- European Hypertension Specialist European Society Hypertension (ESH) 2008
- Distinguished Fellow European Renal Association (ERA/EDTA) 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- General Internal Medicine and Nephrology, 2007
- BMI The Lancaster Hospital, LA1 3RH
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 01524 62345
- Fulwood Hospital, PR2 9SZ
- 09:00 - 12:00
- 01772 704111
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details