- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Complex Devices
- General cardiology
I was an undergraduate at the United Medical and Dental schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals in London. My general medical training was at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge where I was also able to work at Papworth. This experience led me to pursue a career in Cardiology. I undertook my specialist training in cardiology in the Wessex deanery and my research with Imperial College London at the Royal Brompton Hospital. I completed my training with advanced clinical fellowships in Heart failure and electophysiology at the Wessex Cardiothoracic centre in Southampton
Areas of interest
Pacing; Echocardiography; Heart failure; Coronary artery disease; Arrhythmias,
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiologist, Wiltshire Cardiac Centre, Great Western Hospital, Swindon
1. Heart failure and biomarkers
2. Left ventricular remodelling
3. Cardiac resynchronisation therapy
Tennis and Cricket
Robert Luff Fellowship Imperial College London 2005
Surgeon Rear Admiral Exhibition for Immunology and Physiology 1997
(Additional) Languages spoken
1. El-Heis S, Ormerod JO, Chandrasekaran B, Ramcharitar S. A retained pulmonary artery catheter fragment incidentally found lodged in the right heart 16 years after its insertion. BMJ Case Rep. 2013 Mar 26;2013.
2. O'Hanlon R, Grasso A, Roughton M, Moon JC, Clark S, Wage R, Webb J, Kulkarni M, Dawson D, Sulaibeekh L, Chandrasekaran B, Bucciarelli-Ducci C, Pasquale F, Cowie MR, McKenna WJ, Sheppard MN, Elliott PM, Pennell DJ, Prasad SK. Prognostic significance of myocardial fibrosis in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010 Sep 7;56(11):867-74.
3. Chandrasekaran B, Kalra PR, Donovan J, Hooper J, Clague JR, McDonagh TA. Myocardial apelin production is reduced in humans with left ventricular systolic dysfunction. J Card Fail. 2010 Jul;16(7):556-61. doi: 10.1016/j.cardfail.2010.02.004. Epub 2010 Apr
4. Chandrasekaran B, Cowburn PJ. Heart failure: the challenge of selecting patients for implantable cardioverter defibrillator therapy. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2010 Jul;7(4):461-7
5. Chandrasekaran B, Dar O, McDonagh T. The role of apelin in cardiovascular function and heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail. 2008 Aug;10(8):725-32
6. Chandrasekaran B, Wilde P, McCrea WA. Tetralogy of fallot in a 78-year-old man. N Engl J Med. 2007 Sep 13;357(11):1160-1.
7. Bhat P, Chandrasekaran B, Barnes E. Cardiac compression from a rheumatoid pericardial mass. Heart. 2006 Sep;92(9):1337
8. Chandrasekaran B, Kurbaan AS. Myocardial infarction with angiographically normal coronary arteries. J R Soc Med. 2002 Aug;95(8):398-400.
Courses offered to GPs
I am happy to talk on any area of Cardiology
- BSc Immunology 1st Class Hons University of London 1995
- MBBS UMDS, University of London 1998
- MD(Res) Imperial College London 2012
- MRCP Lonodn 2001
- BSE accreditation in transthoracic echocardiography British society of Echocardiography 2005
Reference number 4538194
Details of entry to specialist register
- Cardiology, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
British Cardiovascular Society
British Society of Heart Failure
British Society of Echocardiography
European society of Cardiology
- Great Western Hospital
- 17:30 - 20:00
- 01793 605271
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
The on call Cardiologist via the Great Western Hospital switchboard.