- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
I completed my specialist registrar training at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary with fellowships in Medical Ophthalmology and Medical Retina.
I joined as a Consultant Ophthalmologist at University Hospital Ayr in November 2007.
I am the Clinical Lead for the Macular service, Uveitis service and Diabetic Retinopathy Screening Programme for Ayrshire and Arran.
I offer private consultations at University Hospitals Ayr and Crosshouse and Ayrshire Eye Clinic, Broomfield House, Ayr.
Areas of interest
• Medical retina including Age Related Macular Degeneration
; Diabetic and Retinal Vascular diseases.
; Uveitis (Ocular Inflammation)
; Cataract surgeries in general and with the above co-existing eye conditions to ensure best outcome.
; YAG and Argon laser treatments
; Minor lid procedures
Current NHS consultant posts held
Clinical Lead for Uveitis and Macular Services
Clinical Lead for Diabetic Retinopathy Screening
University Hospital Ayr and Crosshouse
Age related Macular Degeneration
- FRCOPHTH Royal College of Ophthalmologists London 2009
- FRCSEd Ophthalmology Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2000
- Senior Fellowship in General Ophthalmology Aravind Eye Hospitals 1999
- Masters in Ophthalmology MS Kasturba Medical College 1995
- MBBS Kasturba Medical College 1991
- Fellowship in Medical Retina and Medical Ophthalmology Aberdeen University Hospitals 2007
Reference number 5192006
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Member Royal College of Ophthalmologists London 2007
- Member since 1999 and Specialist register since 2007 General Medical Council 1999
Details of entry to specialist register
- Consultant Ophthalmologist with special interest in Medical Retina and Uveitis, 2007
Affiliations / memberships
British Medical Association
Medical Defence Union
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Mohan Krishnan Varikkara