- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cardiac CT
- Coronary angiography
- Devices: cardiac resynchronisation therapy device (CRT)
- Devices: dual chamber pacemaker insertion
- Devices: single chamber pacemaker insertion
- Fractional flow reserve (FFR)
- Interventional cardiology
- Percutaneous coronary intervention with/without stenting
- Reporting of echocardiography
- Transthoracic echocardiography
I started my medical training in 1989 at the Friedrich Alexander University, Erlangen, Germany and did research from 1995 to 1997 resulting in a PhD degree (magna cum laude). I started working in the UK in 1997 as a junior doctor and acquired Membership of the Royal College of Physicians, London in 2000 (first pass, MRCP) and went on to become a Follow of the Royal College of Physicians, London (FRCP).
From 2000 to 2004 I undertook Cardiology Specialty Training at the University Hospital Maastricht, Holland under Prof Hein Wellens - an internationally recognised authority in cardiac electrophysiology and arrhythmias.
I returned to the UK and completed my subspecialty training in interventional cardiology at Leeds General Infirmary the UK's busiest interventional centre followed by an international fellowship in interventional cardiology at the prestigious Pitie Salpetriere Hospital in Paris, France under Prof Gilles Montalescot. Thereafter I consolidated my interventional experience at the University Hospital Nijmegen, The Netherlands as one of three full time interventional cardiologists.
Since my arrival in Kent I took on the lead role for cardic research facilitation. I have so far been able to enrol in several international, multi-centre randomised controlled trials as Principal Investigator. All trials had a major impact and led to change in current cardiology practice.
I also perform/interpret cardiac CT and coronary calcium scoring and have helped to establish and extend the service for the East Kent patients.
I enjoy living in Kent with my wife and my two children. In my free time I love the outdoors. I like playing tennis and skiing, but my greatest joy is my family.
Areas of interest
Angina/Chest pain; Acute coronary syndrome (ACS); Coronary and ischaemic heart disease; Coronary angiography; cardiac catheterisation; Angioplasty; stent insertion; Vascular heart disease;
I am trained in inserting bio-resorbable vascular scaffolds (ABSORB stent, see NICE guidance IPG492)
Arrhythmias; Atrial fibrillation; SVT, Palpitations; Pacing (cardiology); Passing out; Faints; Syncope; 24h/48h/72h/5 day/7 day cardiac monitoring/Holter
Valvular heart disease;
High Blood-Pressure; Hypertension
Heart failure; Cardiomyopathy;
Cardiac CT and calcium scoring
Sports cardiology; Sudden death syndrome (SDS);
- Liz Farbrace
- Cardiology Practice Manager Kent Institute Of Medicine & Surgery Newnham Court Way Weavering MAIDSTONE ME14 5FT
- 01622 538103
- 01622 538105
- Petra Cutler
- The Spencer Private Hospital Ramsgate Road MARGATE CT9 4BG
- 01843 234247
- 01843 296333
- Tansy Martin
- Dover Street Doctors 15 Dover Street CANTERBURY CT1 3HD
- 01227 764686
- 01227 470993
- Theresa Ling
- Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mothers Hospital St. Peters Road Margate CT9 4AN
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Cardiologist at
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Hospital in Margate; Kent &
William Harvey Hospital; Ashford; Kent
I am research lead cardiologist for East Kent's Hospitals facilitating and supporting cardiovascular research.
Local Priority Group Kent and Medway: Award for outstanding contribution to cardiac research. 2013
I mentored several trainee cardiologists helping them to publish case reports about interesting cases I came accross in my daily practice.
Courses offered to GPs
I am happy to offer talks and can be contacted via my webpage www.kentcardio.com
For testimonial pls visit my webpage www.kentcardio.com
- PhD (Doktor Arbeit; magna cum laude) Friedrich Alexander University; Erlangen; Germany 2002
- MRCP London Royal College of Physicians; London 2000
- FRCP London Royal College of Physicians; London 2015
- Interventional Fellowship Petie Salpetriere Hospital; Paris; France 2008
- Cardiac CT British Society of Cardiovascular Imaging 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC specialist register Cardiology, 2006
Affiliations / memberships
British Cardiac Society - BCS
British Cardiac Intervention Society - BCIS
European Society of Cardiology - ESC
European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions - EAPCI
Royal College of Physicians - London
- BMI The Chaucer HospitalNackington RoadCanterbury
- 14:30 - 19:00
- 01227 764686
- BMI The Chaucer HospitalNackington...
- 09:00 - 17:00
- 01227 764668
- KIMS HospitalNewnham Court...
- 10:00 - 12:00
- 01622 538103
- The Spencer Private Hospital Ramsgate Road...
- 12:00 - 14:00
- 01843 234551
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please contact the switch board of the
Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Hopsital in Margate:
01843 22 55 44
and ask them to contact me on my mobile phone.