- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at BMI The Blackheath Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
- Phone consultations
- Video consultations
Last updated: 12 Nov 2020
I am a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon with special interest in Glaucoma and Cataracts.
I believe that vast majority of blindness due to glaucoma can be prevented by early diagnosis and effective management.
Areas of interest
1. Cataract Surgery-
1.1 small incision phakoemulsification surgery with implant
1.2 premium lenses multifocals & toric lenses.
1.3 Specialist cataract surgery in Glaucoma.
1.4 Cataract surgery combined with Endoscopic Cyclophotocoagulation (ECP Laser) to reduce the pressure & dependence on drops (www.endooptiks.com)
1.5 Cataract surgery combined with MIGS- istent, Innfocus microshunt (Preserflo), Xen implant, KDB blade internal trabeculectomy.
2.1 All aspects of glaucoma diagnosis, laser treatment & surgery
2.2 Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT laser to reduce dependence on drops). Cyclodiode laser & micropulser laser in difficult glaucoma.
2.3 Trabeculectomy surgery with mitomycin C
2.4 Aqueous shunt implantation/Tube Surgery- Baerveldt/Ahmed valves for high risk cases/previous failed surgery
2.5 Lasers in angle closure- laser iridotomy, laser iridoplasty etc.
3. Eye Emergencies & General Ophthalmology
- Beth Smith
- Medical Business Management Solutions Ltd Unit 10 Centre One Old Sarum Park Lysander Way Old Sarum Salisbury SP4 6BU
- 020 3137 7626
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Imran Mohammad Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. Consultant eye surgeon with Special interest in Glaucoma- St. Thomas' Hospital, London
2. Honorary Lecturer, Kings College, London
Laser and Surgery for Glaucoma
Principle Investigator for EAGLE Trial (Effectiveness of Lens Extraction in Angle Closure)
Principle Investigator for PTVT Trial (Primary Tube Versus Trabeculectomy Study)
Principle Investigator for the TAGS trial (Treatment of Advanced Glaucoma)
Investigator for Aqueous dynamics of KDB blade internal trabeculectomy.
Investigator for PEACE trial (Tube versus trabeculectomy in Afro-carribean paients)
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Gujarati - Conversational
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Conversational
- Urdu - Basic
Courses offered to GPs
1. Eye Emergencies and common acute eye conditions.
2. Glaucoma- a GPs perspective
3. Medical Management of Glaucoma
4. Management of Angle Closure Glaucoma
5. Blepharitis and dry eye
6. Trabeculectomy- Pearls and Pitfalls
7. Tube Surgery- Pearls and Pitfalls
8. Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty
9. Cataract+glaucoma procedures- Phako ECP (Endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation), phako istents, phako-Xen gel implant.
10. KDB internal trabeculectomy
View photos of my team
Click an image to enlarge and read a description
View videos on youtube
Overall satisfaction under Mr. Goyal
Very Satisfied- 97.3%
Fairly Satisfied- 2.4%
Neither satisfied/unsatisfied- 0.3%
Would you recommend Mr. Goyal to Friends and Family?
Yes, to some extent- 2%
Not sure- 0%
Definitely not- 0%
All surgeries- Post operative infection rate <0.1%
Endophthalmitis (last 9 years- 3 cases )
Posterior capsular rupture rate- < 1%
(0% 2013-2015), 1 case- 2015-2016,
0 cases 2016-107, 1 case 2017-2018,
2 cases (vitrectomy not needed) 2018-2019
>90% within 1D of desired refractive error
Trabeculectomy- sight loss <0.2%
>80% do not need drops to control the pressure
10-15% need drops
re-surgery rate ~5%
Tube Surgery- risk of sight loss <0.2%
re-surgery rate ~5%
Requiring 2nd tube in addition for uncontrolled IOP - 0% (till December 2019)
SLT (Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty) Laser-
sight loss- 0%
>80% achieve 20% or more reduction in IOP with primary treatment.
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2009
- FRCS (Ophthalmology) Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians of Glasgow 2002
- International Council of Ophthalmology Final Examinations International Council of Ophthalmology (HQ, USA) 2002
- DNB (Diplomate in National Board), Ophthalmology National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, India 2000
- MS (Master of Surgery), Ophthalmology South Gujarat Univesity, Surat, India 1999
- MBBS DAVV University, Indore, India 1996
- Glaucoma Clinical Fellow (>1.5 years) Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 2008
- Cornea & External Disease Fellow Moorfields at St. Georges and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 2007
- Glaucoma Clinical fellow St. Thomas' Hospital and Kings College Hospital, London 2006
Reference number 5199328
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Lead for coding in Ophthalmology St. Thomas Hospital 2016
- Honorary Lecturer Kings College London 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Registrar, Ophthalmology, London and Birmingham, 2003
- SHO rotation, South Thames Region, 2001
- Ophthalmology resident then registrar, New Civil Hospital, Surat, India, 1997
Affiliations / memberships
1 (Glaucoma section) of Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), USA.
2 United Kingdom and Ireland Cataract and Refractive Surgery Society.
3 European Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
4 United Kingdom and Eire Glaucoma Society.
5 European Glaucoma Society.
6 All India Ophthalmological Society.
7 Association of Ophthalmologists (AO)
8 Association of Ophthalmologists Specialist Indemnity Scheme.
9 British Medical Association.
- BMI The Blackheath Hospital, SE3 9UD
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 020 3137 7626
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
020 313 77626