- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I am a Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon with special interest in Glaucoma and Cataracts.
I believe that vast majority of blindness due to glaucoma can be prevented by early diagnosis and effective management.
Areas of interest
1. Cataract Surgery-
1.1 small incision phakoemulsification surgery with implant
1.2 premium lenses multifocals and toric lenses.
1.3 Specialist cataract surgery in Glaucoma.
1.4 Cataract surgery combined with Endoscopic Cyclophotocoagulation (ECP Laser) to reduce the pressure and dependence on drops (see www.endooptiks.com)
1.5 Cataract surgery combined with MIGS- istents, Xen gel implants, KDB blade internal trabeculectomy.
2.1 All aspects of glaucoma diagnosis, laser treatment and surgery
2.2 Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT laser to reduce dependence on drops)
2.3 Trabeculectomy surgery with mitomycin C (to reduce future scarring)
2.4 Aqueous shunt implantation/Tube Surgery- for high risk cases and previous failed glaucoma surgery
2.5 Lasers in angle closure- laser iridotomy, laser iridoplasty etc.
3. Eye Emergencies and General Ophthalmology
- Beth Smith
- Medical Business Management Solutions Ltd Unit 10 Centre One Old Sarum Park Lysander Way Old Sarum Salisbury SP4 6BU
- 020 3137 7626
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. Consultant eye surgeon with Special interest in Glaucoma- St. Thomas' Hospital, London
2. Honorary Lecturer, Kings College, London
Laser and Surgery for Glaucoma
Principle Investigator for EAGLE Trial (Effectiveness of Lens Extraction in Angle Closure)
Principle Investigator for PTVT Trial (Primary Tube Versus Trabeculectomy Study)
Principle Investigator for the TAGS trial (Treatment of Advanced Glaucoma)
Investigator for Aqueous dynamics of KDB blade internal trabeculectomy.
1. Treacher Collins Prize for the Best Video Presentation (Supervising author)- Royal College of Ophthalmologists, May 2014
2. Gold Medal for the best research paper- UKISCRS- 2008
3. Award for the best Audit presentation- South Thames-2006
4. Second Highest marks in Ophthalmology in the University
5. All 4 Gold medals A level equivalent including the overall top student.
6. Silver medal in the National Talent Search contest and Silver award of the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.
English, Hindi, Gujarati, Urdu
Courses offered to GPs
1. Eye Emergencies and common acute eye conditions.
2. Glaucoma- a GPs perspective
3. Medical Management of Glaucoma
4. Management of Angle Closure Glaucoma
5. Blepharitis and dry eye
6. Glaucoma Surgery
7. Trabeculectomy- Pearls and Pitfalls
8. Tube Surgery- Pearls and Pitfalls
9. Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty
10. Cataract+glaucoma procedures- Phako ECP (Endoscopic cyclophotocoagulation), phako istents, phako-Xen gel implant.
Overall satisfaction under Mr. Goyal
Very Satisfied- 98%
Fairly Satisfied- 2%
Neither satisfied/unsatisfied- 0%
Would you recommend Mr. Goyal to Friends and Family?
Yes, to some extent- 1%
Not sure- 0%
Definitely not- 0%
All surgeries- Post operative infection rate <0.1%
Endophthalmitis (last 7 years- 2 cases )
Posterior capsular rupture rate- < 1%
(0% 2013-2015), 1 case- 2015-2016,
0 cases 2016-107
>90% within 1D of desired refractive error
Trabeculectomy- sight loss <1%
>80% do not need drops to control the pressure
10-15% need drops
re-surgery rate ~5%
Tube Surgery- risk of sight loss <1%
re-surgery rate ~5%
Requiring 2nd tube in addition for uncontrolled IOP - 0% (till December 2017)
SLT (Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty) Laser-
sight loss- 0%
>80% achieve 20% or more reduction in IOP with primary treatment.
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2009
- FRCS (Ophthalmology) Royal College of Surgeons and Physicians of Glasgow 2002
- International Council of Ophthalmology Final Examinations International Council of Ophthalmology (HQ, USA) 2002
- DNB (Diplomate in National Board), Ophthalmology National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, India 2000
- MS (Master of Surgery), Ophthalmology South Gujarat Univesity, Surat, India 1999
- MBBS DAVV University, Indore, India 1996
- Glaucoma Clinical Fellow (>1.5 years) Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 2008
- Cornea & External Disease Fellow Moorfields at St. Georges and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London 2007
- Glaucoma Clinical fellow St. Thomas' Hospital and Kings College Hospital, London 2006
Reference number 5199328
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Lead for coding in Ophthalmology St. Thomas Hospital 2016
- Honorary Lecturer Kings College London 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Registrar, Ophthalmology, London and Birmingham, 2003
- SHO rotation, South Thames Region, 2001
- Ophthalmology resident then registrar, New Civil Hospital, Surat, India, 1997
Affiliations / memberships
1 (Glaucoma section) of Association of Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), USA.
2 United Kingdom and Ireland Cataract and Refractive Surgery Society.
3 European Society for Cataract and Refractive Surgery.
4 United Kingdom and Eire Glaucoma Society.
5 European Glaucoma Society.
6 All India Ophthalmological Society.
7 Association of Ophthalmologists (AO)
8 Association of Ophthalmologists Specialist Indemnity Scheme.
9 British Medical Association.
- BMI The Blackheath Hospital, SE3 9UD
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 020 3137 7626
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
020 313 77626