- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Head & neck oncology
I am a consultant ENT surgeon based at the Royal Glamorgan Hospital and fully proficient in all aspects of adult and paediatric ENT, with a sub-specialty interest in head and neck cancer. I was a specialist registrar on the All Wales ENT training programme and further undertook an advanced head and neck surgery fellowship in Melbourne, Australia.
I am currently the Clinical director of the Head Neck directorate and the Cancer lead for CTUHB.
My clinical training has benefited from working in District General Hospitals and tertiary referral university hospitals, both in Wales and India. I undertook a fellowship at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre (Australia's foremost cancer centre) which enabled me to augment my knowledge of the management of head and neck cancers, including skin cancers and melanomas as well as voice rehabilitation.
I am actively involved in research, have published several papers, written a book chapter on sleep apnoea and completed my MPhil from university of Swansea.
Areas of interest
Head and neck surgery
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Otolaryngologist Head Neck Surgeon @ CTUHB
Honorary Consultant Otolaryngologist Head Neck Surgeon @ Cardiff and Vale UHB
Head Neck Oncology
I am a keen sportsman and play badminton at a local club as well as enjoy watching cricket and football (supporter of Manchester United).
Visiting Fellow to the Trauma and Burns Unit
University of Michigan Hospitals, Ann Arbor, Michigan 2002
Head Neck Fellow at Peter Mac Cancer Centre, Melbourne 2008-09
Medical Leadership programme, Academi Wales 2015-16
1. Walijee H, Morgan A, Gibson B, Berry S and Jaffery A. Critical care admissions following Total Laryngectomy. Is it time to change our practice. International Journal of Otolaryngology 2016. Article ID 8107892, 8 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/8107892
2. Walijee H, Berry S, Quine S, Lane C, Morris DS & Bowman B . Inverted Papilloma Originating Primarily from the Nasolacrimal Duct: A Case Report and Review of the Pertinent Literature. International Journal of Otolaryngology 2015. Article ID 123694, 5 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/123694
3. Ali Al-Hussaini & Berry S. 12 minute consultation: an evidence based approach to the management of snoring in adults. Clinical Otolaryngology 2015; 40 (2): 79-85
4. Ali Al-Hussaini , Latif F & Berry S. Ear pain, vesicular rash, and facial palsy. BMJ 2014;349:g7572 doi: 10.1136/bmj.g7572 (Published 10 December 2014)
5. Stew B, Ali Al-Hussaini & Berry S, Shoulder morbidity following spinal accessory nerve preserving neck dissection. The Otorhinolaryngologist 2014; 7(3): 179–182
6. Stew B, Berry S & Howard D. A novel surgical method of managing a high output pharyngostome. Accepted for Publication in Annals of Royal college of surgeons of England. November 2013
7. V. Balakrishan, Berry S , B. Stew & A. Sizeland. The benefits of combined modality treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma of the head and neck within a single institution. Journal of Laryngology & Otology January 2013.
8. Stew B, Al-Hussaini A, Wall J & Berry S. Qualitative review of satisfaction with a head neck clinic. Cancer Nursing practice 2013; 12(4): 23-29
9. A. Rikabi, B. Stew, J. Adamwillliams, P.M. Johnson & Berry S. Acute Otitis Media causing visual loss: Case report and review of literature. International Journal of Paediatric ORL extra 2012; Vol 7(3): 135-38.
Principal Investigator for the following national studies:
1. Chronic rhinosinusitis epidemiological study (CRES)
2. OSTRICH study (Oral steroids for the resolution of Otitis media with effusion in children)
4. Talking about HPV related disease
5. Tenovus Cancer Callback service : exploring engagement
- MBBS University of Delhi 1993
- Master of Surgery University of Delhi 1997
- Diploma in Laryngology and Otology (DLO) Royal College of Surgeons of 2003
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2007
- FRCS (ORL-HNS) Ro 2007
- MPhil University 2010
- Head Neck Fellowship Peter 2009
Reference number 5190379
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC Specialist Register, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
¥ Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
¥ Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
¥ British Association of Otolaryngologists & Head and Neck Surgeons
¥ ENT UK Head and Neck subgroup member
¥ General Medical Council
¥ Medical Defence Union
¥ British Medical Association
- Cardiff Bay clinic
- 13:30 - 16:00
- 029 2083 6714
- Croescadarn RoadPentwynCARDIFFCF23 8XL
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 029 2060 0868
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.