- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
- Lower GI
- Home chemotherapy
Consultant Clinical Oncologist
Areas of interest
Head and neck cancer; Colorectal cancer; Skull base Tumours, GI cancers, complex recurrent cancers
Intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) & IGRT
Proton therapy/Proton Beam Therapy(PBT)
Low Level Laser therapy
- Marlene Benham (Private Secretary)
- Spire Southampton Hospital Chalybeate Close SOUTHAMPTON SO16 6UY
- 023 8076 4971
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. Consultant Clinical Oncologist at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
2. Specialist Advisor- Care Quality Commission, UK
3. Clinical expert-STA , NICE
4. External Advisor-Parlimentary Ombudsman
5. Radiotherapy Clinical Reference Group member,NHS England
Advanced high precision radiotherapy techniques-IMRT, IGRT in Head & Neck Cancers, Skull base tumors and colorectal cancers
Chemotherapy & Immunotherapy for Head & Neck cancer
Proton therapy for H&N, Skull base tumors, GI cancer
Low level Laser Therapy
1.Trial Management Group for several UK Clinical trials
2.Member of Clinical Management Group for NIHR study on predictive markers in rectal cancer.
3. Proton therapy for Head & Neck cancers, skull base tumours and GI tumors
4.Low Level Laser Therapy for Head & Neck cancers
6. Principal Investigator for Immunotherapy & radiotherapy multi national clinical trials
7. Re-irradiation for recurrent cancers
1. Health Education England Wessex Shine Awards 2015 Chair’s Award
2. Wessex Deanery Equitable Practice Award in 2012
3. Clinical Excellence Awards
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Tamil - Fluent
1.“Relationship between awareness of illness & psychiatric morbidity in cancer patients” IJP, 1996; 38:2 (suppl).
2.“Case report on nebulisation chemotherapy for lymphangitis carcinomatosa”, IJR, 1999; 9:2:pp69-71.
3."Extranodal CNS Rosai-Dorfman disease- Clinical and therapeutic challenge″
4.”Intraoperative Radiotherapy in locally advanced and recurrent rectal cancer”, Recent advances in Surgery, vol 35: 2013
5."ART DECO: dose escalated vs Standard dose IMRT in locally advanced head and neck cancer" Radiotherapy and Oncology March 2017 Volume 122
6."Management of radiation dermatitis using low-level laser therapy in NPC patients:(ESTRO)Asia 2018, Singapore Dec 2018.
7. "Nivolumab vs Investigator's Choice in Patients with Recurrent or Metastatic Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck: Efficacy and Safety in CheckMate 141 by Prior Cetuximab Use" -Journal of Clinical Oncology 35, no. 15 (May 2017) 6020-6020
Courses offered to GPs
Regular Cancer Masterclass for GP organised by Cancer Partners Uk
Oncology courses for dentists through British dental Association.
Proton Therapy update courses organised by RCC
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons, Glasgow 2011
- PG Award in Laedership Development Solent University,UK 2012
- FRCR Royal College of Radiologists, UK 2008
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons, Glasgow 2004
- MD Radiotherapy Manipal Academy of Higher Education, India 1997
- Diploma in Industrial Hygiene Annamalai University 1994
- PG Diploma in Hospital Administration ISSR, Vellore, India 1993
- MBBS University of Madras 1991
- FRCPI Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 2018
- FAcadMEd Association of Medical Educators UK 2019
- Honorary Fellowship in IMRT/IGRT Royal Marsden Hospital, London 2009
- RCR-Cyclotron Travelling Fellowship University of Florida Proton Therapy Inistitute 2013
- RCR-Kay Fellowship in Intraoperative Radiotherapy M D anderson Cancer Centre, Texas 2015
- Davies Foundation Fellowship for Proton Therapy Paul Scherrer Institut, Switzerland 2017
- RCPSG-Davies Foundation Fellowship for Proton Therapy Scripps Proton Therapy Centre, USA 2017
- IBA Proton Therapy training course University of Pennsylvania Roberts Proton Therapy Centre, USA 2018
Reference number 5195161
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Licence to practice General Medical Council 2000
- Speciality Training Board Member The Royal College of Radiologists 2012
- Faculty Board in Clinical Oncology The Royal College of Radiologists 2013
- CRG-Complex Head & Neck- Senate Member National commissioning Board 2013
- FRCR Part-B Examiner and FRCR Examination Board member The Royal College of Radiologists 2018
- National e-Proton Steering Group Board Member NHS England/RCR 2017
Details of entry to specialist register
- Specialist Register in Clinical Oncology, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
1. Fellowship of Royal College of Radiologists, UK.
2. Fellowship of Royal College of Physicians & SurgeonsGlasgow, UK.
3. Fellowship of College of Chest Physicians
4. Member of British Association of Head & Neck Oncologists.
5. Member of British Medical Association.
6. Member European Society for TherapRadiology & Oncology.
7.Member Particle Therapy Cooperative Group
8. Member International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society
- Spire Southampton Hospital, SO16 6UY
- 17:30 - 19:30
- 023 8076 4971
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details