- Fee assured
- Verified this account
You'll need to contact this healthcare professional to check their availability
Samantha Mann is currently a consultant Ophthalmologist specialising in Medical Retina, Macular Degeneration, Retinal Vein Occlusions and Diabetic Eye Disease including injection and laser treatments. She trained as a doctor at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London and then specialised in Ophthalmology at St Thomas' Hospital, Royal Free Hospital and finally at Moorfield's Eye Hospital completing an MD in Age-related Macular Degeneration before taking up a consultant post at St Thomas' Hospital in April 2009. She also leads the diabetic eye screening service in South East London since 2015.
Areas of interest
Medical retina; Diabetes, including diabetes mellitus; Diabetic macular oedema;
Age-related macular degeneration; Vein occlusions; Central serous retinopathy; Hypertensive retinopathy; Inherited retinal disease; anti-VEGF therapy and dexamethasone injections; retinal laser therapy; Photodynamic Therapy
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant specialising in Retina at St Thomas' Hospital and is also the Clinical Lead for the Lambeth, Lewisham and Southwark Diabetic Eye Screening Programme.
Samantha Mann (nee Dandekar) completed an MD in age-related macular degeneration at Moorfield's Eye Hospital from 2001-2003 resulting in a number of publications including papers about autofluorescence imaging of the retina.
Skiing, Travelling, Food & Wine
Harcourt Medal (June 2001)
1)Dandekar SS, Jenkins S, Peto T, Bird A, Webster AR. Does smoking influence the type of AMD causing visual impairment. BJO 2006
2)Mann SS, Rutishauser-Arnold Y, Peto T, Jenkins SA, Leung I, Xing W, Bird AC, Bunce C, Webster AR. The symmetry of phenotype between eyes. (AMD). Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2010 Aug
3) Sivaprasad S, Gupta B, Gulliford MC, Dodhia H, Mann S, Nagi D, Evans J. (DRIVE UK Study). PLoS One. 2012;7(6)
4) Non-attendance at diabetic eye screening and risk of sight-threatening diabetic retinopathy : a population-based cohort study. / Forster, Alice; Forbes, Angus; Dodhia, H.; Connor, Clare; Du Chemin, Alain; Sivaprasad, Sobha; Mann, Samantha; Gulliford, Martin.
In: Diabetologia, 2013.
5) Changes in Detection of Retinopathy in Type 2 Diabetes in the First 4 Years of a Population-Based Diabetes Eye Screening Program : Retrospective cohort study. Forster, A., Forbes, A., Dodhia, H., Connor, C., Du Chemin, A., Sivaprasad, S., Mann, S. & Gulliford, M. 2013 In : Diabetes Care.
6) R. Welikala, Dehmeshki, A. Hoppe, V. Tah, S Mann, T Williamson. Automated detection of proliferative diabetic retinopathy using a modified line operator and dual classification. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine. 114 (3). May 2014.
7) S.Mann- Addressing Medical Retinal Risk Factors in Diabetes and Understanding newer systemic treatments in Diabetes. Eye News April/May 2014.
8) S.Mann- Treatment of Diabetic Macular Oedema. Eye News. July/Aug 2014
9) Mahroo et al. Cilioretinal Artery Territory Infarction Associated With Papilledema in a Patient With Neurofibromatosis Type 2.
Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmol. 2015.
10) Cilioretinal Artery Territory Infarction Associated With Papilledema in a Patient With Neurofibromatosis Type 2.
Mahroo OA, Mohamed MD, Graham EM, Mann SS, Plant GT, Afridi SK, Hammond CJ.
J Neuroophthalmol. 2015 Aug 20.
11) Prevalence of vitreomacular interface abnormalities on spectral domain optical coherence tomography of patients undergoing macular photocoagulation for centre involving diabetic macular oedema.
Akbar Khan I, Mohamed MD, Mann SS, Hysi PG, Laidlaw DA.
Br J Ophthalmol. 2015 Aug;99(8):1078-81. doi: 10.1136/bjophthalmol-2014-305966.
12) Genetic Algorithm Based Feature Selection Combined with Dual classification for the automated Detection of Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy. Roshan Welikala.M Fraz,J Dehmeshki, A Hope, V Tah, S S Mann,T williamson, S A Barman. March 2015.Computerised medical imaging and Graphics.
Courses offered to GPs
Intermittant seminars at the London Medical and at St Thomas' Hospital on Diabetes and the Eye.
View videos on youtube
- MBBS St Bartholomew's Hospital 1996
- MD Institute of Ophthalmology/ Moorfields Eye Hospital 2006
- MRCOpth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2000
- FRCOphth Royal College of Ophthalmologists 2009
Reference number 4308953
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Clinical Lead for LSL Diabetic Screening Programme National Screening Committee 2009
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Ophthalmologists
- London Medical, W1U 5HJ
- 11:00 - 13:30
- 020 7467 5473
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details