- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Ramsay The Westbourne Centre .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
Mr Maged Nessim has completed his specialist Ophthalmology training, followed by two surgical fellowships in Glaucoma at Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre and the internationally renowned Glaucoma surgery fellowship at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London.
He has performed more than 4000 cataract operations. He is an expert in small incision cataract surgery, clear lens extraction, and he is a specialist in glaucoma filtration procedures and aqueous shunt implantation for complex Glaucoma cases. He is skilled in using various laser treatments i.e. ARGON, YAG, SLT.
He also performs difficult & complex cataract operations referred by other eye specialists with advanced glaucoma or other diseases.
Currently he is the trainer of Glaucoma and cataract fellows in Birmingham, and the director of the surgical skills facility responsible for training junior doctors at the West Midlands deanery.
Areas of interest
Eyes; Small incision Cataract surgery; phacoemulsification. Eye - external disorders; Glaucoma; Anterior segment surgery (eyes); Watery eyes; Dry Eyes; Clinical ophthalmology & epidemiology; Blepharitis
Glaucoma lasers including endoscopic cyclodiode.
- Debbie Jones
- Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre City Hospital Dudley Road Birmingham B18 7QH
- 07948 413107
- 0121 345 0954
- The Westbourne Eye Centre
- BMI Priory Hospital and Droitwich Spa Hospital
- Birmingham & Midland Eye Hospital
Current NHS consultant posts held
Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre
Sandwell General Hospital
Effect of corneal biomechanics on intra ocular pressure
Surgical Glaucoma procedures in an urban city in different ethnic groups
Employer Based Award 2012
(Additional) Languages spoken
1. Nessim M, Mollan SP, Wolffsohn JS, Laiquzzaman M, Subramaniam S, Hartley S, Shah S. The Relationship between Measurement Method and Corneal Structure on Apparent Intraocular Pressure in Glaucoma and Ocular Hypertension Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2013;36(2):57-61.
2. Ghauri AJ, Pandey P, Nessim M. Mind the Gap. Br J Ophthalmol. 2012 ;96:1438
3. Nessim M, Dennsiton AK, Nolan W, Holder R, Shah P. Research into Glaucoma and Ethnicity (ReGAE) 8: is there a relationship between social deprivation and acute primary angle closure? Br J Ophthalmol. 2010 ;94(10):1304-6.
4. Young SP, Nessim M, Falciani F, Trevino V, Banerjee SP, Scott RA, Murray PI, Wallace GR. Metabolomic analysis of human vitreous humor differentiates ocular inflammatory disease. Mol Vis. 2009
5. Sharma TK, Nessim M, Kyprianou I, Kumar V, Shah P, O’Neill. Vitreous loss during phacoemulsification in glaucoma patients: IOP control in the long-term.
J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008;34(5):831-4.
6. Nessim M, Pandey S K, Werner L, Musadiq M, Kumar V. Histochemical Analysis of Bandage Contact Lens Precipitates. Cont Lens Anterior Eye. 2008;31(1):47-9.
7. Kyprianou I, Nessim M, Kumar V, O’Neill E. Longterm results of trabeculectomy with mitomycin C applied under the scleral flap. Int Ophthalmol. 2007;27(6):351-5.
8. Nessim M, Scott RAH, Young SP, Viant MR, Murray PI, Wallace GR. NMR–Based Metabolomic Analysis of vitreous humour from patients with vitreoretinal disease. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2006 47: E-Abstract 3514.
9. Kyprianou I G, Nessim M, Elsherbiny S M. Reversible visual loss in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis and the role of vascular imaging. Eur J Emerg Med. 2006; 13(1):39-40.
10. Nessim M, Kyprianou I, Kumar V, Murray P I. Anterior scleritis, scleral thinning and intraocular pressure measurement. Ocular immunology and inflammation. . Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2005; 13(6):455-7.
11. Nessim M, Sivaraj RR, Young SP, Fortune F, Stanford MR, Murray PI, Wallace GR. Metabonomic analysis of serum from patients with Behcet’s disease: a new research tool? Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2005 46: E-Abstract 5098.
12. Aziz V, Nessim M, Warner N. Charles-Bonnet syndrome and musical hallucination. Int Psychogeriatr 2004; 16(4):489-491.
13. Kyprianou I, Nessim M, Kumar V, Chew C. A case of lymphangiectasia haemorrhagica conjunctivae following phacoemulsification. Acta Ophthalmol Scand. 2004; 82:627-8.
Courses offered to GPs
Cataract / Glaucoma /Ophthalmic emergency to GP forums
- FRCSEd (Ophth) Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 2008
- Pg Dip Med Ethics & Law Keele University 2003
- FRCSEd Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh 1998
- MB ChB University of Alexandria 1990
- FRCOphth Royal college of Ophthalmologists 2015
- Glaucoma Fellow Moorfields Eye Hospital 2009
- Glaucoma Fellow Birmingham & Midland Eye Centre 2008
Reference number 4460314
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer University of Birmingham 2013
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Ophthalmologists
American Academy of Ophthalmology
United Kingdom & Ireland Glaucoma Society
United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract and refractive surgeons
European Glaucoma Society
European Society of Cataract and Refractive surgeons
British Society of Refractive Surgeons
British Medical Association
- BMI The Droitwich Spa Hospital, WR9 8DN
- 10:30 - 12:30
- 07811 237758
- BMI The Priory Hospital, B5 7UG
- 10:30 - 12:30
- 07539 227505
- The Westbourne Centre, B15 3SJ
- 13:30 - 16:30
- 0121 456 0897
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.