- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Mr Asif Mahmood is a Consultant Vascular and Endovascular Surgeon who offers the latest state-of-the art treatments for all aspects of vascular disorders including varicose veins, swollen legs, leg ulcers, aortic aneurysms, peripheral arterial disease, carotid artery disease and stroke.
Mr Mahmood qualified from the University of Birmingham Medical School in1995 and then started postgraduate training in vascular surgery in the West Midlands. During this time he was awarded an MD by the University of Birmingham for his research into aortic aneurysm surgery and then the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. He undertook additional training in interventional radiology at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle including carotid stenting in order to develop advanced endovascular skills.
Having been appointed as a Consultant Vascular Surgeon at University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire (UHCW), he has further developed his skills in complex EVAR as an honorary consultant at Royal Free Hospital London. He heads research projects involving aortic surgery at UHCW and was also awarded a grant for the use of simulation in vascular surgery.
Mr Mahmood offers cutting-edge personalised treatments in a relaxed environment for all aspects of vascular disorders.
Areas of interest
Endovascular surgery; Vascular / venous access; Aneurysms; Lower limb ischaemia; Varicose veins; Venous disease; Leg ulcers; Limb ischaemia; Arterial surgery; Aortic surgery; Arterial bypass; Stroke medicine; Deep vein thrombosis (DVT); Renal access surgery; Carotid surgery / endarterectomy; Lymphoedema; Thoracic aortic disease; Arteriovenous malformation (AVM); Complex venous surgery; Distal arterial reconstruction; Vascular system; Venous surgery; Angioplasty; Minimal access / invasive surgery; Connective tissue disorders
- 024 7696 5279
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Chandrashekhar Vaidyanath Fee Assured
- Dr Soorly Sreevathsa Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Vascular & Endovascular Surgeon at University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire
1. Complex aortic procedures (EVAR)
2. Renal protection in vascular surgery
3. Spinal cord protection during complex EVAR
4. Fluids in aortic surgery
5. Management of aortic dissection
Gym training, listening to music and classic cars.
Clinical Excellence Awards
Publications in past 2 years :
1.Suprarenal Fixation: Pilot/Feasibility Randomised Controlled Study (HYDRA Pilot Trial).
Saratzis A, Chiocchia V, Jiffry A, Hassanali N, Singh S, Imray CH, Bown MJ, Mahmood A.
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2018 Feb 23. pii: S1078-5884(18)30053-4. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2018.01.017. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Pre-operative Functional Cardiovascular Reserve Is Associated with Acute Kidney Injury after Intervention.
Saratzis A, Shakespeare J, Jones O, Bown MJ, Mahmood A, Imray CHE.
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2017 May;53(5):717-724. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2017.01.014. Epub 2017 Mar 18.
3. Long-Term Renal Function after Endovascular Aneurysm Repair.
Saratzis A, Bath MF, Harrison S, Sayers RD, Mahmood A, Sarafidis P, Bown MJ.
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015 Nov 6;10(11):1930-6. doi: 10.2215/CJN.04870515. Epub 2015 Oct 20.
4. Incidence of Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) after Endovascular Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair (EVAR) and Impact on Outcome.
Saratzis A, Melas N, Mahmood A, Sarafidis P.
Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2015 May;49(5):534-40. doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2015.01.002. Epub 2015 Feb 27.
5. Outcome of open versus endovascular abdominal aortic aneurysm repair in obese patients: a systemic review and meta-analysis.
Saedon M, Mt-Isa S, Saratzis A, Leung E, Mahmood A.
Int Angiol. 2015 Feb;34(1):9-15. Epub 2014 May 13. Review.
Courses offered to GPs
Presentations available on:
1. Peripheral Arterial Disease (NICE guidelines)
2. Updates on Vascular Disorders
3. Venous diseases and varicose veins
4. Aortic aneurysms, aortic syndromes and trauma
- MBChB University of Birmingham 1995
- MD University of Birmingham 2006
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 1999
- FRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 2006
- Fellow in Vascular Interventional Radiology Freeman Hospital, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne 2008
Reference number 4195768
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- British Society of Endovasular Surgery BSET 2009
- Affiliate Member Vascular Society 2009
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
BMI Meriden Hospital 02476647000
BMI Priory Hospital 0121 440 2323