- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I have been working as an NHS Consultant Spine Surgeon at the Robert Jones and Agnes Hunt Orthopedic Hospital, Oswestry since 2010. I currently manage all aspects of spinal disorders in the Centre for Spinal Disorders at Oswestry. Besides being proficient in open surgery, I also believe strongly in using Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery wherever possible and safe.
Areas of interest
• Cervical spine disorders • Radicular pain • Cervical myelopathy • Thoracic spine disorders including deformity • Degenerative back pain • Spinal stenosis • Spinal deformity • Sciatica; Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery; Fully Endoscopic Spine Surgery.
- Anna Gizzi
- Spire Yale Hospital Wrexham Technology Park Croesnewydd Road WREXHAM LL13 7YP
- 01978 268065
- Kim Byers
- Centre For Spinal Disorders RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital Gobowen Oswestry SY10 7AG
- 01691 404039
- Pippa Vaughan
- Nuffield Health Shrewsbury Hospital Longden Road SHREWSBURY SY3 9DP
- 01743 282534
- 01743 282579
Anaesthetists worked with
- RJ&AH Orthopaedic Hospital website
- Nuffield Health Hospital, Shrewsbury
- Spire Yale Hospital, Wrexham
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Spine Surgeon, RJ&AH Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry
Clinical and Basic Sciences Research in Back pain and Cervical Disorders; Outcomes following lumbar and cervical spine surgery; Long term functional outcomes following fusion surgery
Cricket, Running, Reading
1. Best Scientific Paper, BRITSPINE conference,
2. Professor’s Medal- Apr 2009
Registrar’s day, RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry
3. Best Scientific Paper- Feb 2009
Annual Combined BASS & BCSS Meeting, UK
4. Gordon K Rose Medal in Biomechanics -Dec 2007
RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital, Oswestry
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Native or bilingual
- Urdu - Conversational
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Basic
Isolation and Characterisation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells from different Regions of the Human Umbilical Cord.
C Mennan, K Wright, A Bhattacharjee, B Balain,J Richardson, and S Roberts.
BioMed Research International, Volume 2013, Article ID 916136, 8 pages
The Oswestry Risk Index- An aid in the treatment of metastatic disease of the spine.
B Balain, A Jaiswal, J M Trivedi, S M Eisenstein, J H Kuiper, D C Jaffray.
The Bone & Joint Journal. Vol 95-B, No 2, February 2013
Destructive discovertebral degenerative disease of the lumbar spine.
Charran AK, Tony G, Lalam R, Tyrrell PN, Tins B, Singh J, Eisenstein SM, Balain B, Trivedi JM, Cassar-Pullicino VN.
Skeletal Radiol. 2012 Sep;41(10):1213-21. doi: 10.1007/s00256-012-1446-x.
Does walking change the Romberg sign?
Findlay G F, Balain B, Trivedi J M, Jaffray D C.
EUR SPINE J. 2009 Apr 22. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 19387702
Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy- Assessment and Treatment.
Parsons S, McMurtrie A, S Cooke, Balain B, Jaffray D C.
ORTHOPAEDICS & TRAUMA, JUNE 2009; 23(3), 180-185
Response shift in self-reported functional scores after knee microfracture for full thickness cartilage lesions.
Balain B, Ennis O, Kanes G, Singhal R, Roberts S N, Rees D, Kuiper J H
OSTEOARTHRITIS CARTILAGE 2009 Feb 28. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 19272855
Coccygectomy for Coccydynia: Case Series and Review of Literature.
Balain B, Eisenstein S M, Alo G O, Darby A J, Cassar-Pullicino V N, Roberts S E, Jaffray D C
SPINE 2006, Volume 31, Number 13, pp 414-420
Pedicle Morphology of the lower thoracic, lumbar and S1 vertebra: an Indian perspective.
Chadha M, Balain B, Maini L, Dhaon B K
SPINE 2003, Volume 28, Number 8, pp 744-749
Spontaneous bilateral displaced femoral neck fractures in nutritional osteomalacia.
Chadha M, Maini L, Balain B, Dhal A K
ACTA ORTHOP SCAND 2001, 72(1): 94-96
The dreaded referral- Cauda Equina Syndrome
B Balain, G Tawari.
Annual BOTA newsletter, 2009
The management of thoracic and lumbar spinal fractures
B Balain, D C Jaffray
Spinal Diseases Annual Evidence Update 2008, NHS Evidence – T&O, formerly a Specialist Library of the National Library for Health
- MBBS Delhi University 1995
- MS (Orth) Delhi Univeristy 1999
- FRCS RCPS of Glasgow 2003
- FRCS (Tr & Orth) RCPS of Glasgow 2008
Reference number 5204782
Details of entry to specialist register
- CCT, 2010
Affiliations / memberships
British Association of Spinal Surgeons
Society for Back Pain Research
- Nuffield Health Shrewsbury Hospital
- 14:00 - 19:00
- 01743 818270
- Robert Jones & Agnes Hunt Orthopaedic Hospital
- 09:00 - 13:00
- 01691 404039
- Spire Yale Hospital
- 14:00 - 19:30
- 01978 291306
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Please call the ward that you were admitted to-
Ludlow Ward, Oswestry
Ward, Nuffield Shrewsbury
Ward, Spire Yale Hospital