- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Interventional cardiology
Profile: Dr. Kamal Chitkara has been a Consultant Cardiologist in Derby since 2010. Education & Training: He graduated from Mangalore University, India, in 1995. His specialist postgraduate training in cardiology was undertaken at Glenfield Hospital, in Leicester. Dr. Chitkara also undertook a period of research at University of Leicester and was awarded M.D in 2008. Dr. Chitkara undertook high volume intervention during his Interventional Fellowship at highly renowned centre, Leeds General Infirmary. Expertise: Dr. Chitkara practice comprises a broad spectrum of cardiological conditions, and he specialises particularly in the management of ischaemic heart disease, (angina and the prevention of heart attacks), percutaneous coronary intervention (routine and complex coronary angioplasty and stenting), the investigation of cardiac causes of stroke, hypertension, management of valvular heart disease, and the treatment of heart failure. He also has a strong interest in the investigation of palpitations, dizzy spells, blackouts, chest pain and breathlessness. He has special interest in Drug Resistant Hypertension and runs specialist clinic bimonthly. Dr. Chitkara was instrumental in establishing primary angioplasty for the acute management of myocardial infarction (heart attack) at Royal Derby Hospital in Derby. This is a recognised Heart Attack Centres in Derby, provides 24 hour emergency angioplasty for patients with acute myocardial infarction.
Areas of interest
Angina, Ischemic heart disease, coronary artery disease, Drug Resistant Hypertension, Heart attacks (Myocardial Infarction), Palpitations, Syncope, High Cholesterol, Dizzi Spells, Arrhythmias.
Intervention: Coronary Angiography; Angioplasty and Stent; blackouts; chest pain; irregular heart beat; POTS; High blood pressure; Atrial fibrillation; Breathlessness; Leg swelling; Oedema; Heart failure; Diseases of heart valves;
Video and telephone consultations
- Offers video and telephone consultations
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Amr Mahmoud Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Royal Derby Hospital - Derby and visiting Consultant at Glenfield Hospital - Liecester
Dr. Chitkara is the Research Lead for the department of cardiology at Derby Hospital. Since he has been in the post, he has been Principal Investigator of various multi-centre studies & has extensive experience in research, performed during his MD and SpR training. He has published widely in peer-reviewed journals with abstracts for national and international meetings.
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Hindi - Fluent
- Urdu - Fluent
- Panjabi, Punjabi - Fluent
He has published a book on Eptifibatide Eluting Stents and currently editing Coronary Complications during PCI – A survival handbook.
Key titles include:
1. DES: 2nd Generation vs. 1st generation. Chitkara K*, Gershlick A.H. J. Interventional Cardiology (Interventional Cardiology –August 2010).
2. Drug Eluting Stents in patients with ST Elevation MI. Chitkara K*, Gershlick A.H. European Cardiovascular Disease – Vol.1, (Issue II) November 2009.
3. Eptifibatide eluting stents as an anti proliferative and anti thrombotic agent: in- vitro evaluation. Chitkara K*, Hogrefe K, Gershlick A.H. J Invasive Cardiol. 2006 Sep; 18(9):417-22.
4. Drug Eluting Stents in coronary atheromatous disease. Chitkara K*, Hogrefe K, Gershlick. Hospital Pharmacy Europe- 48-51 October 2003.
5. Drug Eluting Stents: Promises and Pitfalls. Chitkara K*, Bhandari M, Gershlick A.H. Interventional Cardiology Monitor- volume 10, No.1 2003.
Courses offered to GPs
Dr. Chitkara has key interest in prevention of coronary complications and regularly organises interactive case based discussion national course; which has now successfully completed 5 yrs, for final year SpRs and new Consultants in collaboration with a panel of experts, as he believes that complication cases often form the basis for a good discussion and are a learning opportunity for better management and prevention of coronary complications during intervention.
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.https://www.bcis.org.uk/member/kamal-chitkara/
Reference number 4734529
- BMI The Park Hospital, NG5 8RX
- 08:30 - 12:30
- 07795 695148
- Nuffield Health Derby Hospital, DE23 4SN
- 13:00 - 17:00
- 07795 695148
- Royal Derby Hospital, DE22 3NE
- 15:00 - 17:00
- 07795 695148
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.