- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
Miss Jennifer Rusby is a Consultant Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon at the Royal Marsden Hospital Breast Unit in Sutton. She qualified at Oxford University and undertook her surgical training in Wessex, Birmingham and at The Royal Marsden.
She has spent time at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, USA, researching the anatomy and pathology of the nipple with the aim of improving surgical techniques to allow nipple-sparing mastectomy. In 2009 she was awarded a Royal College of Surgeons Arnott Lectureship for this work.
Miss Rusby’s practice covers the diagnosis and surgical treatment of symptomatic and screen-detected breast cancer including oncoplastic breast conserving techniques and mastectomy (including nipple-sparing) with immediate breast reconstruction.
Areas of interest
Breast surgery; Oncoplastic breast conserving surgery; Immediate breast reconstruction; Nipple-sparing mastectomy
- Gill Chesney
- Breast Surgery Royal Marsden Hospital Downs Road SUTTON SM2 5PT
- 020 8661 3118
- 020 8661 3126
Anaesthetists worked with (Bupa members, please ask your consultant whether your anaesthetist is fee-assured)
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant oncoplastic breast surgeon, Royal Marsden Hospital, Sutton
Provision of a scientific basis for nipple-sparing mastectomy by detailed anatomical and pathological study of the nipple.
The use of 3D imaging in assessment of appearance after breast cancer surgery.
Local principal investigator for the "Bridging the Age Gap", POSNOC and LORIS studies.
Management of the axilla after neoadjuvant chemotherapy
Royal College of Surgeons Arnott Lectureship 2009
Recent relevant publications
• Robertson SA, Rusby JE, Cutress RI. The determinants of optimum mastectomy skin flap thickness. Br J Surg. 2014 Jul;101(8):899-911.
• Mitchell S, Klimberg VS, Ochoa D, Rusby J, Chang D, Patel R, Park J, Korn JM, Djohan R. Advanced Locoregional Therapies in Breast. Ann Surg Oncol. 2014 Jul 30. [Epub ahead of print]
• Kothari MS, Rusby JE, Agusti AA, MacNeill FA. Sentinel node biopsy after previous axillary surgery: A review. Eur J Surg Oncol 2012; 38 (1): 8-15.
• Rusby JE, Smith BL, Gui GPH. Nipple-sparing mastectomy. Br J Surg 2010; 97(3): 305-16.
• Brachtel EF, Rusby JE, Michaelson JS, Chen LL, Muzikansky A, Smith BL, Koerner FC. Occult Nipple Involvement in Breast Cancer: Clinicopathologic Findings in 316 Consecutive Mastectomy Specimens. J Clin Oncol 2009; 27(30): 4948-54.
• Rusby JE, Brachtel EF, Othus M, Michaelson JS, Koerner FC, Smith BL. Development and validation of a model predictive of occult nipple involvement in women undergoing mastectomy. Br J Surg 2008; 95(11): 1356-1361.
• Rusby JE, Brachtel EF, Michaelson JS, Koerner FC, Smith BL. Breast duct anatomy in the human nipple: Three-dimensional patterns and clinical implications. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 2007; 106 (2): 171-179.
- BM BCh (medical qualification) University of Oxford 1998
- DM (doctor of medicine research degree) University of Oxford 2012
- Fellowship (FRCS) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2008
- National oncoplastic breast surgery fellowship University Hospitals Birmingham 2008
- Oncoplastic fellowship Royal Marsden 2009
- Research Fellowship Massachusetts General Hospital 2005
Reference number 4530794
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Editor of the yearbook and member of Council Association of Breast Surgery 2014
- Conference Organising Committee Symposium Mammographicum 2014
Details of entry to specialist register
- General surgery (breast), 2009
- Royal Marsden Hospital Downs Road SUTTON SM2...
- 14:00 - 17:00
- 020 8661 3118
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
In hours: 020 8661 3118
Out of hours: 020 8642 6011
Information for healthcare professionals (Bupa patients only, last 12 months)
Excision biopsy of breast lesion after localisation - (1-5)
Wide local excision of breast +/- local mobilisation of glandular breast tissue to fill surgical cavity - (1-5)
Sentinel node mapping and sampling with blue dye or radioactive probe for breast cancer - (1-5)
Mastectomy and immediate reconstruction of breast using fixed prosthesis - (1-5)
Microdochotomy - (1-5)
- Show All (6)...