- Fee assured
- Awaiting verification
Mr Clark qualified as a doctor in 1996 at University College London, having also gained a degree in Anatomy in 1993. He attained membership of the Royal College of Surgeons in 2000 before starting specialist training in Otolaryngology (Ear, Nose and Throat) surgery in Oxford.
In 2008 he undertook a fellowship in Otology and Neurotology through the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada. Here he learned many of the specialised techniques that he practices today including the use of the laser for the removal of disease from the ear. He gained specialist accreditation with the General Medical Council in 2009, when he moved to Gloucestershire for his current NHS consultant appointment.
Whilst Mr Clark practices general ENT treating a wide range of conditions in all age groups, his specialist interest is in Otology and the treatment of medical and surgical conditions of the ear. Mr Clark prides himself on being able to explain complex medical problems and on providing appropriate treatments with realistic goals. He is the only local provider performing total endoscopic ear surgery, the latest minimally invasive method of correcting ear conditions.
Areas of interest
Otology (ears); adult and paediatric ear disease; Middle ear disease / surgery; Endoscopic ear surgery; Cholesteatoma; Tympanic membrane perforation; Acute and chronic otitis media; glue ear; Tinnitus; Hearing loss; Vertigo (Meniere's disease, BPPV, labyrinthitis); intratympanic injections; Eustachian tube dysfunction; paediatric ENT; sinonasal disease; general ENT; prominent ear correction surgery
- Samantha Steel
- Studio 6 Cheltenham Film Studios Hatherley Lane Cheltenham GL51 6PN
- 01242 370514
- 01242 321008
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Andrew Foo Fee Assured
- Dr David Windsor Fee Assured
- Dr Sam Andrews Fee Assured
- Dr Owen Bodycombe Fee Assured
- Dr Steven Twigg Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
• Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
• Cheltenham General Hospital
• Stroud General Hospital
Member of the Global Health UK committee
• Mr Clark is widely published within his field and acts both as a peer reviewer for key journals in this topic as well as being a member of the expert panel for ENT-UK, the national association for this branch of surgery.
• He is the Specialty Tutor for the training of ENT doctors in the county. His current research includes the development of surgical simulators for training in ear surgery. His training role extends to voluntary work in Uganda and Nepal.
Mr Clark lives in Cheltenham with his wife and children. He enjoys sculpting in his spare time, being an active member of the Medical Art Society of the Royal Society of Medicine.
Help teach the brain to ignore tinnitus signal
Uganda hearing project: avoiding the seven sins
The on-going dilemma of residual cholesteatoma detection
The shelf-life of antimicrobial ear-drops
Central skull base osteomyelitis: diagnosis and treatment
Congenital cholesteatoma of the occipital bone
SerenoCem glass ionomeric granules: assessment of their effectiveness in mastoid obliteration
Chorda tympani nerve function following middle ear surgery
Courses offered to GPs
Mr Clark teaches on international specialist courses and lectures widely to GP groups and sister specialties (such as at meetings for the Countywide Vestibular Disorders group, the British Association of Paediatricians in Audiology, Old-age medicine seminars)
I contribute all my myringoplasty (repair of a hole in the ear drum) data to the National Myringoplasty Audit database.
My success rate is 94% comparing favourably to an average national figure of 79%. My rates for improving hearing (a secondary goal in this type of surgery) are also better than national average.
My residual disease rate after cholesteatoma surgery is currently 6%, being favourable to the accepted values of 15-20% (the lower the better).
- MBBS University College London 1996
- FRCS (ORL-HNS) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2006
- Otology and Neurotology Fellowship University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada 2008
Reference number 4304210
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Committee member, Global Health UK ENT UK 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Otolaryngology, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
Member of the British Association of Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery (ENT UK)
Member of the British Society of Otology
Member of the Politzer Society, the International Society of Otologic Surgery and Science
Member of the South Western Laryngological Society
- Nuffield Health Cheltenham Hospital Hatherley...
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01242 370514
- Winfield Hospital, GL2 9WH
- 08:30 - 12:00
- 01242 370514
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.