- Fee assured
- Verified this account
This healthcare professional let us know that they are currently:
- Accepting new patients
- Available for:
- Face-to-face consultations
Last updated: 29 Jun 2020
I am a Consultant ENT Surgeon and Associate Professor of Rhinology. I am trained as a general adult and paediatric ENT Surgeon with subspecialist interest in Rhinolgy (conditions affecting the nose and sinuses) and Allergy, in particular medical and surgical management of allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, nasal polyps, rhinosinusitis, facial pain, snoring, obstructive sleep apnoea. I also deal with general ear (otology) including ear wax removal, and throat (laryngeal) conditions including voice disorders.
I perform minimally invasive endoscopic sinus surgery and nasal plastic surgery (septorhinoplasty). I also perform general ENT operations like tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, and grommets.
Areas of interest
Medical and surgical management of allergic and non-allergic rhinitis; hay fever; nasal polyps; sinusitis; rhinosinusitis, allergic disease; nasal tumours; facial pain; snoring; sleep apnoea; nasal plastic surgery (septorhinoplasty); recurrent tonsillitis; enlarged adenoids; glue ear; ear wax removal; ear infections; hearing loss; tinnitus; balance disorders; vertigo; voice disorders.
- Karen Healey
- Spire Southampton Hospital Chalybeate Close SOUTHAMPTON SO16 6UY
- 023 8076 4325
- 023 8091 4418
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Dominic Richardson Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Honorary Consultant ENT Surgeon at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
I am an Associate Professor of Rhinology at the University of Southampton and have a major interest in academia, research and teaching. My main research interests focus on the mucosal immune response in nasal airways disease (rhinitis and rhinosinusitis),and the development of novel therapies for chronic rhinosinusitis. The aim is to develop further bi-directional benefits in not only establishing an academic presence to develop ENT research but also facilitate translational research for patient benefit and enabling better understanding of the upper and lower airway interactions. I am currently Principal Investigator in Southampton for MACRO - a major national NIHR trial aiming to establish best practice for the management of adults with chronic rhinosinusitis.
I am married to a consultant gastro-enterologist who has a particular interest in pancreatic disease. We have 4 children. My main interests outside work are mainly family-oriented.
1- Research Management Committee Grant 2009 - University of Southampton.
2- Philip Poole-Wilson Seed Corn Fund - Bupa Foundation 2009.
3- Asthma Allergy and Inflammation Research (AAIR) grant 2010.
4- Royal College of Surgeons of England pump-priming grant 2010.
5- Royal Society of Medicine Travel & Equipment award 2010.
6- SPARKS - The Children's Medical Research Charity Innovation Grant 2011. Co-applicant
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Arabic - Native or bilingual
1. Khan, A.S., Pilavakis, Y., Batty, V., Harries, P.G., Salib, R.J. Eustachian tube communicating with sphenoid sinus: report of a novel anatomical variant. Surg Radiol Anat 2017; 39(4):461-5.
2. Dryden, M.S., Cooke, J., Salib, R.J., Holding, R.E., Biggs, T., Salamat, A.A,, Allan, R.N., Newby, R.S., Halstead, F., Oppenheim, B., Hall, T., Cox, S.C., Grover, L.M., Al-Hindi, Z., Novak-Frazer, L., Richardson, M.D. Reactive Oxygen: a novel antimicrobial mechanism for targeting biofilm-associated infection. J Glob Antimicrob Resist 2017; 8:186-191.
3. Allan, R.N., Kelso, M.J., Rineh, A., Yepuri, N.R., Feelisch, M., Soren, O., Brito-Mutunayagam, S., Salib, R.J., Stoodley, P., Clarke, S.C., Webb, J.S., Hall-Stoodley, L., Faust, S.N. Cephalosporin-NO-donor prodrug PYRRO-C3D shows β-lactam-mediated activity against Streptococcus pneumoniae biofilms. Nitric Oxide 2017; 65:43-9.
4. Gutiérrez-Cardona, N., Sands, P., Roberts, G., Lucas, J.S., Walker, W., Salib, R.J., Burgess, A., Ismail-Koch, H. The acceptability and tolerability of nasal douching in children with allergic rhinitis: A systematic review. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2017; 98:126-35.
5. *Howlin, R.P., Cathie, K., Hall-Stoodley, L., Cornelius, V., Duignan C., Allan, R.N., Fernandez, B.O., Barraud, N., Bruce, K.D., Jefferies, J,, Kelso, M., Kjelleberg, S., Rice, S.A., Rogers GB, Pink S, Smith C, Sukhtankar PS, Salib R.J., Legg J, Carroll M, Daniels T, Feelisch, M., Stoodley, P., Clarke, S.C., Connett, G., Faust, S.N., Webb, J.S. Low-Dose Nitric Oxide as Targeted Anti-biofilm Adjunctive Therapy to Treat Chronic Pseudomonas aeruginosa Infection in Cystic Fibrosis. Mol Ther. 2017; 25(9):2104-16.
6. INTEGRATE. The British Rhinological Society multidisciplinary consensus recommendations on the hospital management of epistaxis. J Laryngol Otol. 2017; 131(12):1142-1156.
7. Goldie, S., Ismail-Koch, H., Harries, P.G., Salib, R.J. Biofilms in paediatric otorhinolaryngology. Journal of ENT Masterclass 2018.
8. *Newby, R.S., Dryden, M., Allan, R.N., Salib, R.J. Antimicrobial activity of a novel bioengineered honey against non-typeable Haemophilus influenzae biofilms: an in vitro study. J Clin Pathol. 2018; 71(6):554-8.
9. Jayakody, N., Ward, M., Wijayasingham, G., Fowler, D., Harries, P., Salib, R. A rare presentation of a paediatric sinonasal inverted papilloma. J Surg Case Rep; 2018(11):rjy321.
Courses offered to GPs
Southampton Allergy Course - Alongside allergy and respiratory coleagues, we run this annual 2 day educational course aimed at GPs and nurses. It covers the breadth of allergic disease including food allergy, allergic rhinitis and asthma.
I also give regular educational talks to GPs on allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, snoring and obstructive sleep apnoea.
View videos on youtube
Outcomes (checked and approved by medical professional body)
Please click on this link if you would like to see information about this healthcare professional’s performance compared to their peers, as published by their medical professional body.http://www.phin.org.uk
- BMedSci (Upper 2-1 with Hons) University of Nottingham 1992
- BM BS (Hons) University of Nottingham 1994
- DLO Royal College of Surgeons of England 1998
- FRCS (CSiG with Otolaryngology) Royal College of Surgeons of England 1999
- FRCS (Otolaryngology) Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland 1998
- PhD University of Southampton 2005
- FRCS (ORL-HNS) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2006
- Overseas Rhinology Fellowship Amsterdam Medical Centre 2008
Reference number 4095370
Details of entry to specialist register
- Otolaryngology, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council
British Assosiation of Otolaryngologists - Head & Neck Surgeons (ENT UK)
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
Royal Society of Medicine
British Rhinological Society
European Rhinology Society
- Spire Southampton Hospital Chalybeate Close...
- 14:00 - 20:00
- 023 8076 4325
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
For non-urgent queries, contact either
Spire Southampton Hospital 02380 775544
or Prof. Salib's secretary Karen Healey on 02380764325
If the query is urgent or life threatening (e.g. heavy bleeding etc), the patient should attend their nearest Accident & Emergency department.