- Fee assured
- Verified this account
I am a Consultant ENT Surgeon and Associate Professor of Rhinology. I am trained as a general adult and paediatric ENT Surgeon with subspecialist interest in Rhinolgy (conditions affecting the nose and sinuses) and Allergy, in particular medical and surgical management of allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, nasal polyps, rhinosinusitis, snoring, obstructive sleep apnoea and facial pain. I also deal with general ear (otology), and throat (laryngeal)conditions.
I perform minimally invasive endoscopic sinus surgery and nasal plastic surgery (septorhinoplasty). I also perform general ENT operations like tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, and grommets.
Areas of interest
Medical and surgical management of allergic and non-allergic rhinitis; hay fever; nasal polyps; sinusitis; rhinosinusitis, allergic disease; nasal tumours; facial pain; snoring; sleep apnoea; nasal plastic surgery (septorhinoplasty); recurrent tonsillitis; enlarged adenoids; glue ear; wax impaction; ear infections; hearing loss; tinnitus; balance disorders; vertigo; voice disorders.
- Karen Healey
- Spire Southampton Hospital Chalybeate Close SOUTHAMPTON SO16 6UY
- 023 8076 4325
- 023 8091 4418
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Dominic Richardson Not Fee Assured
Current NHS consultant posts held
Honorary Consultant ENT Surgeon at University Hospital Southampton NHS Foundation Trust
I am an Associate Professor of Rhinology and have a major interest in academia, research and teaching. My main research interests focus on the mucosal immune repsone in nasal airways disease (rhinitis and rhinosinusitis). The aim is to develop further bi-directional benefits in not only establishing an academic presence to develop ENT research but also facilitate translational research for patient benefit and enabling better understanding of the upper and lower airway interactions.
I am married to a consultant gastro-enterologist who has a particular interest in pancreatic disease. We have 4 children. My main interests outside work are mainly family-oriented but also include sports, fast cars and wildlife programmes.
1- Research Management Committee Grant 2009 - University of Southampton.
2- Philip Poole-Wilson Seed Corn Fund - Bupa Foundation 2009.
3- Asthma Allergy and Inflammation Research (AAIR) grant 2010.
4- Royal College of Surgeons of England pump-priming grant 2010.
5- Royal Society of Medicine Travel & Equipment award 2010.
6- SPARKS - The Children's Medical Research Charity Innovation Grant 2011. Co-applicant
(Additional) Languages spoken
List of peer-reviewed publications over past 2 years
1. Biggs T.C., Mohammed A., Gough A., Patel N.N., Salib R.J. Implications of inaccurate venous thromboembolism risk assessments in ENT practice: our experience in eighty six patients. Clin Otol 2012; 38(1):74-7.
2. Biggs T.C., Baruah P., Mainwaring J., Harries P.G., Salib R.J. Treatment algorithm for oral anticoagulant and antiplatelet therapy in epistaxis patients. J Laryngol Otol 2012; 127(5):483-8.
3. Biggs T.C., Hayes S.M., Harries P.G., Salib R.J. Maxillary dentinogenic ghost cell carcinoma. Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2013; 95(3):63-5.
4. Salib R.J., Talpallikar S, Uppal S, Nair S.B. A prospective randomised single blinded clinical trial comparing the efficacy and tolerability of the nasal douching products Sterimar and Sinus Rinse following functional endoscopic sinus surgery. Clin Otol 2013; 38: 297-305.
5. Biggs T.C., Nightingale K., Patel N.N., Salib R.J. Should prophylactic antibiotics be used routinely in epistaxis patients with nasal packs? Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2013; 95(1): 40-2.
6. Bird J.H., Biggs T.C., Thomas M., Salib R.J. Adult acute rhinosinusitis. BMJ 2013; 346:f2687.
7. Biggs T.C., Bird J.H., Harries P.G., Salib R.J. YouTube as a source of information on rhinosinusitis; the good, the bad and the ugly. J Laryngol Otol 2013; 127(8): 749-54.
8. Biggs T.C., Hayes S.M., Bird J.H., Harries P.G., Salib R.J. Use of the lymphocyte count as a diagnostic screen in adults with suspected Epstein-Barr virus infectious mononucleosis. Laryngoscope 2013; 123(10): 2401-4.
9. Jayaram S., Svecova N., Biggs T. C., Theaker J., Salib R.J. Angiectatic nasal polyp - the great imitator. The Internet Journal of Otorhinolaryngology 2013; 15(1).
10. Biggs T.C., Bird J.H., Frampton S.J., Harries P.G., Salib R.J. C-reactive protein and coagulation studies in secondary post-tonsillectomy haemorrhage - need for routine testing? Our experience in 93 patients. Clin Otol 2014; 39(4): 238-40.
11. Archer C., Fraser L., Salib R., Upile T., Patel N. Re : is an occupation with vocal load a risk factor for laryngopharyngeal reflux. Clin Otol 2014; 39(6): 397-8.
12. Biggs T.C., Fraser L., Ward M.J., Sunkaraneni V.S., Harries P.G., Salib R.J. Patient reported outcome measures in septorhinoplasty surgery at a tertiary referral centre. In print Ann R Coll Surg Engl 2014.
Courses offered to GPs
Southampton Allergy Course - Alongside allergy and respiratory coleagues, we run this annual 2 day educational course aimed at GPs and nurses. It covers the breadth of allergic disease including food allergy, allergic rhinitis and asthma. I also give regular educational talks to GPs.
- BMedSci (Upper 2-1 with Hons) University of Nottingham 1992
- BM BS (Hons) University of Nottingham 1994
- DLO Royal College of Surgeons of England 1998
- FRCS (Otolaryngology) Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland 1998
- FRCS (CSiG with Otolaryngology) Royal College of Surgeons of England 1999
- PhD University of Southampton 2005
- FRCS (ORL-HNS) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2006
- Overseas Rhinology Fellowship Amsterdam Medical Centre 2008
Reference number 4095370
Details of entry to specialist register
- Otolaryngology, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
General Medical Council
British Assosiation of Otolaryngologists - Head & Neck Surgeons (ENT UK)
Royal College of Surgeons of England
Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland
Royal Society of Medicine
British Rhinological Society
European Rhinology Society
- Spire Southampton Hospital Chalybeate Close...
- 14:00 - 18:00
- 023 8076 4325
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
For non-urgent queries, contact either
Spire Southampton Hospital 02380 775544
or Mr Salib's secretary Karen Healey on 02380764325
If the query is urgent or life threatening (e.g. heavy bleeding etc), the patient should attend their nearest Accident & Emergency department.