- Fee assured
- Verified this account
Dr Shaffer is a cancer specialist who uses radiotherapy and chemotherapy to treat brain tumours, skin tumours, prostate cancer, and bladder cancer. His NHS practice is based in Surrey and Hampshire. His brain tumour team have won an award for their "excellent clinical performance".
He has been Clinical Lead for Radiotherapy and Radiotherapy Development, led the development and implementation of the Stereotactic Radiosurgery programme in Surrey, and is currently clinical lead for radiotherapy innovation for GenesisCare UK.
He is an expert in the use of radiotherapy for the treatment of benign conditions, and set up "The Dupuytren's Practice" to provide radiotherapy for patients with Dupuytren's and Ledderhose disease throughout the UK. He also runs a heel pain clinic in Windsor to provide patients with a diagnostic ultrasound and radiotherapy treatment for plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis. He co-wrote the recent Royal College of Radiologists report on the use of radiotherapy for benign disease. He has also given evidence to NICE on this subject.
Dr Shaffer did his specialist training in London, and a Clinical Fellowship in Radiation Oncology in Vancouver, Canada. Whilst in Canada he completed a number of research projects in technical radiotherapy. Dr Shaffer has presented and been published widely in the oncology field.
Areas of interest
Brain tumour; CNS tumours; Skin cancer; Urological oncology; Prostate cancer; Dupuytrens disease; Plantar fibromatosis; Ledderhose disease; Plantar fasciitis; Achilles Tendonitis; Radiotherapy for benign diseases; bladder cancer; glioblastoma; glioma; astrocytoma; oligodendroglioma; basal cell carcinoma
- Sue Verschoyle
- GenesisCare UK BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital 46 Harvey Road Guildford GU1 3LX
- 01483 806018
- 01483 563597
Video and telephone consultations
- Offers video and telephone consultations
Current NHS consultant posts held
1. Consultant Clinical Oncologist - Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, Surrey
2. Honorary Consultant - Hampshire Hospitals NHS Trust, Basingstoke
3. Honorary Consultant - St Georges Hospital, London
4. Clinical Lead for Radiotherapy Innovation - GenesisCare UK
The use of radiotherapy for the treatment of benign disease
Dr Shaffer is a keen pianist and has played at various festivals and venues including Ronnie Scott’s Jazz Club in London. He also conducts and sings in choirs. He particularly enjoys travelling and spending time with his family.
2014 - "Excellent Clinical Performance" for brain tumour team at Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford.
Clinical Excellence Award - level 2
A comparison of volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) and conventional intensity modulated radiotherapy (IMRT) for frontal and temporal high-grade gliomas.
Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy and Conventional Intensity-modulated Radiotherapy for Simultaneous Maximal Intraprostatic Boost: a Planning Comparison Study.
Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy For Delivery of Prostate Radiotherapy: comparison with Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy and Three-Dimensional Conformal Radiotherapy.
Courses offered to GPs
Radiotherapy for Early Dupuytren's disease and Ledderhose disease
Radiotherapy for Plantar Fasciitis and Achilles Tendonitis
Radiotherapy for Benign Diseases
- BSc (hons) in Biomedical Science University of Manchester 1995
- MB BS University College London Hospital 1998
- MRCP (Member of Royal College of Physicians) Royal College of Physicians (London) 2002
- FRCR (Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists, Clinical Oncology) Royal College of Radiologists 2006
Reference number 4552635
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Specialist Advisor NICE (National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence) 2016
Details of entry to specialist register
- Clinical Oncology, 2009
Affiliations / memberships
1. European Society for Therapeutic Radiation Oncology
2. British Urology Group
3. European Association of Neuro-oncology
- BMI Mount Alvernia Hospital, GU1 3LX
- 13:00 - 17:30
- 01483 806018
- Bupa Cromwell Hospital, SW5 0TU
- 09:00 - 12:00
- 01483 806018
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.